Video: "Huskymania! Connecticut's 1989-1990 Championship Season" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Video: "Huskymania! Connecticut's 1989-1990 Championship Season"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The game against Mississippi State had a hurting' on me…….thought they were good enough to make a run too…….

Unfortunately it wouldn't have mattered. All the tournament wins that season were vacated.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I was also 10 and it was right around the time I was becoming a huge sports fan, my dad and older brothers had me watching games since I was an infant but I remember it was around this time I really started learning and loving the game. What an unbelievable team to watch as you are really starting to learn about the game. That team was sick....Smitty was a very unique scorer, Tate was clutch and steady, Henefeld did some things on the court I haven't seen any players do since, Gwynn was instant offense and pure excitement, I could go on and on. It's sad to think we will never see crowds and that kind of all out helter skelter defense again, what we had that year was special and I'm glad I was just old enough to understand it. I always wondered what UConn hoops would have looked like if Henefeld stayed.
I feel that this team was going to win the NCAA championship. If only Tate dribbled that ball to Denver.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Every single new recruit should be required to watch this at orientation. It is how it all started; and it shows how much energy, passion, and heart you need to have every game to be great!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
My only regret as a sports fan was being too young as a sports fan ( born in 86 ) to experience the early days of Huskymania and the true rise of the program.

I thought when UConn football beat Pitt and WVU in back to back home games that was the start of the same for that program. Unfortunately, Edsall and conference realignment had other ideas.

Reaction Score
I was also 10 and it was right around the time I was becoming a huge sports fan, my dad and older brothers had me watching games since I was an infant but I remember it was around this time I really started learning and loving the game. What an unbelievable team to watch as you are really starting to learn about the game. That team was sick....Smitty was a very unique scorer, Tate was clutch and steady, Henefeld did some things on the court I haven't seen any players do since, Gwynn was instant offense and pure excitement, I could go on and on. It's sad to think we will never see crowds and that kind of all out helter skelter defense again, what we had that year was special and I'm glad I was just old enough to understand it. I always wondered what UConn hoops would have looked like if Henefeld stayed.

We really were helter skelter. It was obviously 20+ years ago and I was young, but I don't remember us being as crazed in the half court trapping all over. Didn't we start out really slow that year too? I remember that Nadav didn't play much in the beginning. Then he became the 3/4 and we were on... Watching that vid reminded me of how deep we were. I had totally forgot that Lyman and Murray Williams were on that team as well. For some reason I had thought they had graduated the previous year.

Reaction Score
Boog....And Lyman D. was only a Jr. in 89/90.

Nadav did not break into the starting lineup until the end of Dec. Up to that point Cyrulik was at the 5 and Sellers was the 4. Then Sellers moved to the 5 and Henefeld slid into the 4 spot.

Reaction Score
We were not a big team either so the press was used to off set that advantage other teams had over us. We also were not a very good shooting team but because of all the steals the press generated we overcame that by getting more shots than our opponents. It was a special team to be sure. We lost our first two Big East games that season including a 30 point loss at St. John's.

Reaction Score
We were not a big team either so the press was used to off set that advantage other teams had over us.

Well, we didn't have size in the post. We were quite big and athletic at the guard positions, which enabled our press to be effective.

The guards we're bringing in in 2014 and 2015 all have great size and in theory could lend itself to a pressing defense in a way we can't right now, being undersized with Bazz at the 1 and ridiculously undersized with Boat at the 2.

The pressing teams of the early-mid 90's sure were fun to watch.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts while watching this:

Chris Smith was as good a player as we've ever had.
Toraino Walker could have been a star.
I didn't remember Cyrulik being so good. In fact, I only remember yelling at him through the TV.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I feel that this team was going to win the NCAA championship. If only Tate dribbled that ball to Denver.
I have to admit it, I didn't recall that play (I don't remember if my family had a VHS recorder then... we probably did but we didn't record the game) but seeing that now... ooooohhh...

Reaction Score
We were not a big team either so the press was used to off set that advantage other teams had over us. We also were not a very good shooting team but because of all the steals the press generated we overcame that by getting more shots than our opponents. It was a special team to be sure. We lost our first two Big East games that season including a 30 point loss at St. John's.

Musberger was mentioning during the BET final that year that UCONN was either last or 2nd to last in the league in FG%...
A few thoughts while watching this:

Chris Smith was as good a player as we've ever had.
Toraino Walker could have been a star.
I didn't remember Cyrulik being so good. In fact, I only remember yelling at him through the TV.

Cyrulik had a career night on opening night at Gampel v. St. John's that year, hitting fall aways etc...He and Gwynn took over in the 2nd half...

Speaking of big men...I never understood why Marc Suhr didn't get more time. ;)

Reaction Score
I have to admit it, I didn't recall that play (I don't remember if my family had a VHS recorder then... we probably did but we didn't record the game) but seeing that now... ooooohhh...

Even with Tate tipping the ball like he did...like JC says during one of the interviews on the tape, if the ball had just rolled to the left and stayed in bounds, game over. :(

UCONN v. UNLV....would have been interesting.

Reaction Score
Even with Tate tipping the ball like he did...like JC says during one of the interviews on the tape, if the ball had just rolled to the left and stayed in bounds, game over. :(

UCONN v. UNLV....would have been interesting.

That UNLV team was on another level, imo... What they did to Duke in that championship game was obscene.

Reaction Score
boog204 said:
That UNLV team was on another level, imo... What they did to Duke in that championship game was obscene.

For years I thought we'd have gotten whooped by UNLV but I've reconsidered since then. Our team that season was disruptive as hell, just what you needed against UNLV. They could get on cruise control and bury you if you let them but we had guys that could really get under your skin on our team. We also had some good match ups to offset their big horses.

Second, Jim Calhoun had a great shot to beat anyone with a week to prepare. He'd have given us a chance.

Reaction Score
That was unfreaking believable! Absolutely awesome! Brought back so many memories. I was a freshman in college when Tate hit The Shot. After he hit it I was jumping on my bed and going crazy all over my dorm room.

Thanks for the video!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that loss to Laettner and Dook in the Elite 8 is still the worst feeling I have EVER felt after a sporting event. I really expected the magical season to continue on to its logical conclusion.
That was the worst for me, but the pain finally eased in '99. Now I'd have to say Game 5 of the 2000 World Series, which I attended.

That was pretty bad Alex. But for some reason the one that stuck with me the longest was the Florida game when Donyell missed those FTs. I know it was the sweet sixteen but we had a killer team and thought that would be the year.
That was second worst. And still never felt the same about Donyell.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't think our defense was ever that good again. That team scored in bunches off multiple stops.

Reaction Score
David 76 said:
I don't think our defense was ever that good again. That team scored in bunches off multiple stops.

It depends on how you are measuring defense. That team had a lot of steals. But other Uconn teams were tougher in the half court and held opponents to lower shooting percentages.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Great video and agree that all UConn players should watch that video on their first day on campus. Know your history and know your roots.

A few things that really stuck out to me. Smith and Gwnn both had fantastic elevation on their jump shots.

Wish Deandre would watch clips of Burrell and Williams on how to use his athleticism and length.

Team was so unselfish. Always making the extra pass but not overpassing. Players knew where on the floor that they were effective scorers.

Chrissy's shot killed the FF but I don't think there's anyway UConn beats that UNLV team. That was almost NBA level good. LJ, Greg Anthony, Anderson Hunt, Stretch, etc. One of the three best college teams of the past 40 years.

Reaction Score
We really were helter skelter. It was obviously 20+ years ago and I was young, but I don't remember us being as crazed in the half court trapping all over. Didn't we start out really slow that year too? I remember that Nadav didn't play much in the beginning. Then he became the 3/4 and we were on... Watching that vid reminded me of how deep we were. I had totally forgot that Lyman and Murray Williams were on that team as well. For some reason I had thought they had graduated the previous year.

Went out to a holiday tourney and went 1-2, lost to Texas A & M I believe……..then Henefeld got in the lineup when they came back and things slowly gelled…..with him and Scotty playing center field the other team had no shot completing passes if they didn't throw it crisply……and duck was ours, it was a thing of beauty.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score

General Thoughts:

1. Great job early Hartford crowd. I don't think the crowd could ever be louder than some of the most rowdy Gampel crowds, but now I see what you old farts were talking about.

2. How bad is that HCC floor/setting? Were we also housing the Houston Rockets on random occasions? That's pathetic for UConn marketing, even by 1990 standards.

3. Early Clark Kellogg. Still saying the same nonsense.

4. Boeheim. Always a .

5. Okay fine. As someone who was at UConn from 04-08 and was pretty proud of what we brought...damn you guys were loud this year.

6. My favorite UConn teams are the ones that press and fast break. Good Lord, these guys did work on the break. Random steal, quick pass, alley oop out of nowhere. No wonder the whole state was going nuts.

7. How have I never heard the "That's What I Like about UConn" song before? That's now my ringtone and eventual wedding song. I'm all for the Whalers, but how is Brass Bonanza more of an icon hit than that all time legend?

8. Chris Smith had the ugliest shot ever.

9. It's only been 11 months and I already miss the Big East like crazy.

10. Who the hell is John Gwynn? Much respect to your contributions my man. I'll raise a Rolling Rock to your honor.

11. Storm the Garden!!!

12. How did we not finish off that win against Duke? Wow

13. That was fun. Thanks to whoever put that together and a real history lesson for how we got here. Incredible video

Reaction Score
General Thoughts:

1. Great job early Hartford crowd. I don't think the crowd could ever be louder than some of the most rowdy Gampel crowds, but now I see what you old farts were talking about.

2. How bad is that HCC floor/setting? Were we also housing the Houston Rockets on random occasions? That's pathetic for UConn marketing, even by 1990 standards.

3. Early Clark Kellogg. Still saying the same nonsense.

4. Boeheim. Always a .

5. Okay fine. As someone who was at UConn from 04-08 and was pretty proud of what we brought...damn you guys were loud this year.

6. My favorite UConn teams are the ones that press and fast break. Good Lord, these guys did work on the break. Random steal, quick pass, alley oop out of nowhere. No wonder the whole state was going nuts.

7. How have I never heard the "That's What I Like about UConn" song before? That's now my ringtone and eventual wedding song. I'm all for the Whalers, but how is Brass Bonanza more of an icon hit than that all time legend?

8. Chris Smith had the ugliest shot ever.

9. It's only been 11 months and I already miss the Big East like crazy.

10. Who the hell is John Gwynn? Much respect to your contributions my man. I'll raise a Rolling Rock to your honor.

11. Storm the Garden!!!

12. How did we not finish off that win against Duke? Wow

13. That was fun. Thanks to whoever put that together and a real history lesson for how we got here. Incredible video

Man...it sure is fun reading the comments about 1989/90 written by someone younger than 50. :)

Reaction Score
jrazz, it was LOUD back then………real Husky fans most of many years, very few bandwagon types like would follow when business took over. It was real, it was like one big arena celebrating something they had all waited for after burning in the cellar of the Big East for so long while being whipped in the 1st round of the BE tourney annually. This was a real special year and the one that really allowed JC to move his recruiting all over the U.S………I can still remember Mike Gorman being so much a part of so many great broadcasts and buying into Huskymania in a big way as well as Ronnie Perry……..the NIT was fun but this was the beginning of what we are now enjoying………great memories!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't remember the "fan" critics back then. We were all excited, all loved the kids and knew we were lucky to have our coach. No "Wake me up when we get to a final four"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom