USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This why tiered payouts will be the norm in the not too distant future. What are we worth? 20-25M? Or more?
Technically, we are worth what we are getting paid now + plus some due to the fact that we are the big brand in the Big East. I would hazard to guess in the range of 15-20 million/year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agreed....but the ACC will look like the old Big East by that point.

By the time UConn gets an invite....FSU, Clemson, Miami, North Carolina will definitely be gone. Some combination of NC State, Duke, Virginia, Louisville might be gone. Of course ND will have ended the play 5 ACC teams commitment.

Still probably better than being independent....but it won't be anything near what the ACC is today.

I know that sounds pessimistic...but it's hard to be optimistic with anything regarding conference realignment and UConn.

People are way overvaluing what Miami brings. We are 20 years removed from the early 00's.

Reaction Score
We are not worth $100 million per year. Washington and Oregon aren't even worth that.
We are worth that much if we are in the B1G.
This why tiered payouts will be the norm in the not too distant future. What are we worth? 20-25M? Or more?

Realistic math discussion here:

-> Thompson said the Big Ten’s decision to add two Los Angeles-based universities was rooted in a simple math equation. The 14 existing conference members know they’ll receive approximately $71.4 million per university under the new Fox deal. Adding two more partners only made sense if they could generate a minimum of $143 million in additional distributable revenue. <-

-> The Big Ten appears focused on trying to lure Notre Dame into the fold right now. After that, Oregon and Washington may be of interest to the Big Ten. However, Thompson estimated that those two Pac-12 universities, along with the Oregon and Washington television markets, would only generate an additional $60 million in combined additional revenues.

It doesn’t kill the possibility of Oregon and Washington following USC and UCLA into the conference. It just means that the Big Ten members have two options if they’re going to do it: A) Be OK with about $6 million less annually to have UO and UW in the house; or B) Welcome Oregon and Washington, but inform the newcomers that they won’t get full distributions for a while.

Perhaps this is where Nike founder and long-time Oregon mega-booster Phil Knight might factor. He has ties to ESPN. I wonder if Knight might convince that network to make an investment in the Pac-12 and position the conference to raid the Big 12. Under that scenario the Pac-12 would survive and become the country’s No. 3 conference. Or maybe Knight would simply subsidize the Oregon-Washington entry into the Big Ten. <-

Who’s gonna be our Phil Knight?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
People are way overvaluing what Miami brings. We are 20 years removed from the early 00's.
It may just be hype....but it feels like Cristobal has brought them back. His recruiting has been amazing. Similar to Mora here, Cristobal is making a difference.

Reaction Score
Realistic math discussion here:

-> Thompson said the Big Ten’s decision to add two Los Angeles-based universities was rooted in a simple math equation. The 14 existing conference members know they’ll receive approximately $71.4 million per university under the new Fox deal. Adding two more partners only made sense if they could generate a minimum of $143 million in additional distributable revenue. <-

-> The Big Ten appears focused on trying to lure Notre Dame into the fold right now. After that, Oregon and Washington may be of interest to the Big Ten. However, Thompson estimated that those two Pac-12 universities, along with the Oregon and Washington television markets, would only generate an additional $60 million in combined additional revenues.

It doesn’t kill the possibility of Oregon and Washington following USC and UCLA into the conference. It just means that the Big Ten members have two options if they’re going to do it: A) Be OK with about $6 million less annually to have UO and UW in the house; or B) Welcome Oregon and Washington, but inform the newcomers that they won’t get full distributions for a while.

Perhaps this is where Nike founder and long-time Oregon mega-booster Phil Knight might factor. He has ties to ESPN. I wonder if Knight might convince that network to make an investment in the Pac-12 and position the conference to raid the Big 12. Under that scenario the Pac-12 would survive and become the country’s No. 3 conference. Or maybe Knight would simply subsidize the Oregon-Washington entry into the Big Ten. <-

Who’s gonna be our Phil Knight?
Sound logic, but it has nothing to do with the Northeast metroplex from Boston to Philly and Washington. The B1G would love to have that market, the problem is that no one from Boston to Philly to DC gives a rats @ about Oregon and Washington. They and the BTN need one northeastern school with a rabid fan base and 22 national championship banners hanging in the rafters, and I’m not talking about BC or Rutgers.

Reaction Score
If enough dominoes fall, we will be in the ACC. It won't take a miracle.
If that many dominoes fall, it'll be the ACC in name only. UConn is and would be better off staying in the new Big East.

Reaction Score
Sound logic, but it has nothing to do with the Northeast metroplex from Boston to Philly and Washington. The B1G would love to have that market, the problem is that no one from Boston to Philly to DC gives a rats @ about Oregon and Washington. They and the BTN need one northeastern school with a rabid fan base and 22 national championship banners hanging in the rafters, and I’m not talking about BC or Rutgers.
The B1G already has Rutgers, Penn State and Maryland. Considering the Pacific Northwest would be new markets for the B1G and the former president of Fox Sports thinks they (UO/UW) still come up short to a magic number - grabbing UConn (and New England) is not going to add $71m+ in distributable accretive revenue annually to their coffers yet alone the $100m you claimed above.

I wish it was so but I don’t see the pixie dust to make it happen.

Reaction Score
The NIL is big for Miami. They are paying the QB from Glastonbury over 1 million per year

Reaction Score
The B1G already has Rutgers, Penn State and Maryland. Considering the Pacific Northwest would be new markets for the B1G and the former president of Fox Sports thinks they (UO/UW) still come up short to a magic number - grabbing UConn (and New England) is not going to add $71m+ in distributable accretive revenue annually to their coffers yet alone the $100m you claimed above.
Do you know how many people live per square mile in the Pacific Northwest? Salmon don’t watch the BTN, Lol, and Rutgers brings zero to the table, Maryland is the B1G’s version of West Virginia (just ask FHCRE), and State College is closer to Youngstown Ohio than it is to Philadelphia, much less Madison Square Garden. Your argument is incredibly weak. All I’m saying is if Mora succeeds, anything can happen.

Reaction Score
It may just be hype....but it feels like Cristobal has brought them back. His recruiting has been amazing. Similar to Mora here, Cristobal is making a difference.
Once they dumped their AD, who was the last remnant of the Shalala era, they got real serious. They started spending money, brought in a big time coaching staff, and an AD who knows how to get things done. They are "all in" in a way I'm not sure they ever have been.

Reaction Score
If that many dominoes fall, it'll be the ACC in name only. UConn is and would be better off staying in the new Big East.
I don’t see how the B1G would consider UCONN. With the changes in recruiting and transfer portal, MSG doesn’t matter as much for b-ball. The ACC likely brings more money and former rivals.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
Do you know how many people live per square mile in the Pacific Northwest? Salmon don’t watch the BTN, Lol, and Rutgers brings zero to the table, Maryland is the B1G’s version of West Virginia (just ask FHCRE), and State College is closer to Youngstown Ohio than it is to Philadelphia, much less Madison Square Garden. Your argument is incredibly weak. All I’m saying is if Mora succeeds, anything can happen.
The facts are that adding Rutgers brought a lot of money to the table. A lot.

Reaction Score
Your argument is incredibly weak.

Just to be clear - you are doubling down that UConn will be worth an additional $100M in revenue to the B1G if we are in the conference??

Reaction Score
The facts are that adding Rutgers brought a lot of money to the table. A lot.
Yeah, like 5 or more years ago, now they bring negative numbers. Lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The majority of the schools in the B1G aren’t worth that now.
Oh ok, so it’s not $100 million? Only $50 million? $25 million? $10 million? Anybody know? Lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This whole parade has been like a kid collecting baseball cards…he wants big names even if they are far past their prime. The SEC took Texas and Oklahoma. Texas has been an afterthought in college football for at least a decade. They haven’t even been in The top 3 teams in Texas for that long. UCLA? Gary Beban isn’t walking through that door any time soon. USC has probably been relevant nationally once or twice but not much more In the past 20 years. They ranked 5th once but When they’ve been ranked it’s mostly in the 20s.
Texas an afterthought. Yeah they were 5-7 last year, but had won 4 straight bowl games from 2017-2020, and beat #5 Georgia in a bowl in 2018. So much of an afterthought that some guy named Manning just turned down offers from every school in the country to play there

Reaction Score
That is what we said about HCRE2.0. But even if it turns out far better for UConn this time than last, the timing is all wrong. It will take Mora awhile to work some magic. By then the earthquake will have happened and the musical chairs game will be over..

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The NIL is big for Miami. They are paying the QB from Glastonbury over 1 million per year

NIL is what the University booster's and businesses are willing to pay players. That is a separate valuation from what a university brings to a conference.

Reaction Score
Oh ok, so it’s not $100 million? Only $50 million? $25 million? $10 million? Anybody know? Lol
Sure, 50 million moves the needle for the Big10, problem is, it's in the wrong direction. Those other numbers are non starters. Don't you think if UConn would bring in 50 plus mil for the Big10 that they'd be in at least some analyst projections as a possible add. I'm not digging for info, but I haven't seen one projection where UConn is in the mix for a back fill ACC spot let alone an invite to the Big10.

Reaction Score
Sure, 50 million moves the needle for the Big10, problem is, it's in the wrong direction. Those other numbers are non starters. Don't you think if UConn would bring in 50 plus mil for the Big10 that they'd be in at least some analyst projections as a possible add. I'm not digging for info, but I haven't seen one projection where UConn is in the mix for a back fill ACC spot let alone an invite to the Big10.
UConn has had arguably the worst football program in the country so that's understandable but do you really think these "analysts" know what the hell they're talking about?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom