USA -France U 17 final | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USA -France U 17 final

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Here we go again....

Sorry Doggie. With the U17 games done, we don't have much else to chew on now. No transfers, no UConn commitments no nothing. We need fodder until then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
As far as recruiting goes; take as many of the starting 5 as are willing to go to Storrs.
A word about Cooke. Yes, she plays out of control too often but she's extremely talented. She might cause Geno some stomach aches, but, she might be worth it.
She seemingly is an extremely talented player but a free wheeling one. She indicated in her interview together with Horston, that's the style she wants to play.
Trying to wheel that style player would both not be good for the player themselves and surely for the team. Opening up this can of worms, even if it means losing Horston, who may well be the best player in the whole 2019 class, is not now, never has been and never will be worth it.
While the issues are different they risked losing Brunelle and maybe with her Bueckers & Fudd, if they also choose to follow friendship over other factors.
This should not be viewed as Geno needing to be more flexible or being too rigid. I see it as the U Conn program has been the most successful in history because of their structure, rules, values, and the consistency they stick with them. Once they start making exceptions it might well all go away with it.
And throughout my life, I prefer to stretch limits, break rules, make exceptions but there's always a price.
Bronx23

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Sorry Doggie. With the U17 games done, we don't have much else to chew on now. No transfers, no UConn commitments no nothing. It may be a slow news week over the next few days here in the yard. We need fodder.

U18 kids have a scrimmage tomorrow in Mexico. ONO and CW. Don’t fret. More basketball is on then way ;)

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Based on comments about her talent level, she should accomplish that. I just hope she ends up trying to beat out someone on UConn's team.
Presumably CocoHusky was joking, as Belibi and Jones certainly could play together, with Belibi more of a true post and Jones more of a 3.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Presumably CocoHusky was joking, as Belibi and Jones certainly could play together, with Belibi more of a true post and Jones more of a 3.
UConn is closer to Boston.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
U18 kids have a scrimmage tomorrow in Mexico. ONO and CW. Don’t fret. More basketball is on then way ;)

Thank goodness. I've been so caught up in the U17 team, I completely forgot about the U18 team. They should provide plenty of interest, conversation, observations and opinions much like the U17 team. Plus this team features two of UConn's own, me likey. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Thank goodness. The U18 team should provide plenty of conversation, observations and opinions. Me likey. :D
Me likey too so much. I record every U game I can every year and watch them over and over. I really love seeing these kids and finding the ones that jump off the screen. We know which one that was this year. At the U18's let's see which player is a real playa. As i write this I'm watch the game in its entirety on ESPN+. Loving it. By the way 8-1-18, USA vs Argentina.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Future Huskies.
5b5e94d3025e6.image.jpg

Reaction Score
She seemingly is an extremely talented player but a free wheeling one. She indicated in her interview together with Horston, that's the style she wants to play.
Trying to wheel that style player would both not be good for the player themselves and surely for the team. Opening up this can of worms, even if it means losing Horston, who may well be the best player in the whole 2019 class, is not now, never has been and never will be worth it.
While the issues are different they risked losing Brunelle and maybe with her Bueckers & Fudd, if they also choose to follow friendship over other factors.
This should not be viewed as Geno needing to be more flexible or being too rigid. I see it as the U Conn program has been the most successful in history because of their structure, rules, values, and the consistency they stick with them. Once they start making exceptions it might well all go away with it.
And throughout my life, I prefer to stretch limits, break rules, make exceptions but there's always a price.
Bronx23
A few misc thoughts:
-Tournament pointed out the fallacy of evaluating strictly based on frosh year. Horston appears to have grown the past 6-12 months in both skills and basketball IQ. Few, myself included, could have predicted her performance.
-Many initially commented on Diana Taurasi using the same words - "free wheeling, undisciplined etc." - used for Cooke. I know little about her but suspect Geno would love the challenge of molding another DT. Playing for Geno seems to have been a good match for Diana as well.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
if you guys truly had a direct line, I'd have thought you'd have a heck of a lot more championships!!!!!!!.....;)

Good point. Hmm, perhaps the extended stay in purgatory (Final 4 losses) made the second coming even better! :D

Reaction Score
Good point. Hmm, perhaps the extended stay in purgatory (Final 4 losses) made the second coming even better! :D

ahhhh perhaps the man upstairs sometimes has another plan in mind for the Fighting Irish..........and every other team for that matter............winning isn't the only thing after all...........:)

JordyG

Reaction Score
ahhhh perhaps the man upstairs sometimes has another plan in mind for the Fighting Irish.....and every other team for that matter..winning isn't the only thing after all......:)
Okay I'll bite. Here's a 2nd choice.

giphy.gif

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
USA's 2018 U17 team won Gold after the 2016 team lost to Australia.

The next opportunity to reclaim a world championship will be the U19 championships in 2019 at a site to be determined. The US has not hosted this event since 1985. Isn't it time?

Team USA for the U19 world championships is often a blend of kids from the U17 world championship team and kids from the U18 FIBA Americas team. The competition for the U19 team should be fierce. Does USA BB ask Carla to coach that team as well?

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
The USA's 2018 U17 team won Gold after the 2016 team lost to Australia.

The next opportunity to reclaim a world championship will be the U19 championships in 2019 at a site to be determined. The US has not hosted this event since 1985. Isn't it time?

Team USA for the U19 world championships is often a blend of kids from the U17 world championship team and eligible kids from the U18 FIBA Americas team. The competition for the U19 team should be fierce. Does USA BB ask Carla to coach that team as well?
Man I hope so. She has a nice, even handed approach, which is similar to Geno's. Except of course when it isn't. She is however unafraid to read her team the riot act when necessary.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A few misc thoughts:
-Tournament pointed out the fallacy of evaluating strictly based on frosh year. Horston appears to have grown the past 6-12 months in both skills and basketball IQ. Few, myself included, could have predicted her performance.
-Many initially commented on Diana Taurasi using the same words - "free wheeling, undisciplined etc." - used for Cooke. I know little about her but suspect Geno would love the challenge of molding another DT. Playing for Geno seems to have been a good match for Diana as well.
I agree with everything you said but I refuse to like your post until you change that avatar. :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom