USA -France U 17 final | The Boneyard

USA -France U 17 final

Reaction Score
23-12 at the end of the first quarter.
France hit a couple of 3's to keep them from being overwhelmed.
France will not be able to overcome a 15 deficit against the USA like they did to Australia.
Horston is a ball magnet. She's the MVP, no doubt.

Reaction Score
Horston is making France look like a grade school team. She has 5 steals and they're early in the second quarter.
The announcer said she has the super power of invisibility because of the way France doesn't seem to see her.
If the USA could hit a 3 (0 for however many they've taken) they would be up by 25.

Reaction Score
46-28 USA at the half.
France is hitting their 3 point shots (6 of 10) but not much else, and they're still down by 18. The USA hit a couple of 3's late in the second quarter.
Boston is completely outplaying France's best big, Rupert.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, my guess is there are a few of you who can see this game somewhere where the rest of us can't, so there is no reason to provide viewing information???

Reaction Score
70-35 after 3. France started waving the white flag somewhere in the middle of the 3rd quarter.
The USA is playing so well it's difficult to rank them for this game., but here goes:
1. Horston
2. Boston
3. Jones
4. Bueckers
5. Fudd
The thing is, Fudd is playing really, really well !! That's how good the starting 5 are playing.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm watching the game on the FIBA website. USA up 87-40 with 4:00 left in the 4th qtr. The game is over. France is 47 points behind. If it took them 3+qtrs to score 40, how are they going to score 47 pts in 4 min? :confused:

3 min left - 87-40.

Van Lith just hit a corner 3 to put the USA up by 50, 90-40.

Less than a minute to go.

92-40 with 38.3 sec to go.

Game over.

Final score USA 92 - France 40. France was never in this game. Team USA took the fight out of them (and their heart & soul) in the first half, as France only scored 12 points in the second half. With the USA in the tournament, they did the best they could, 2nd place. They did not have a team that could beat the USA. :confused:

Boston leads the USA in scoring with 16.

Team USA was NEVER challenged at any time during this tournament. TOTAL domination!!! This was truly an All-Star team. The USA coaches didn't have to do a lot of "coaching" today. Their team took control from the tip, and never looked back. They never let France think they had any chance of challenging/winning this game. The USA went up early then continued to pull away. The hole France was in early got deeper as the game went along.

The USA's players were simply better and more polished than the French team. France didn't fare any better than any of the other teams the USA played. Horston owned France's big (Rupert) on both ends, and was getting anything she wanted in the paint.

The best thing about these games were that (no one got hurt) we got to see the elite players in the next 3 classes in games against some of the best players, not just in the USA, but in the world. It's one thing to see them against lesser talent they usually face in high school, it something else to see how they fare against other elite players in FIBA competition.

Boston, Horston & Jones on the ALL-Tournament team - Horston named the tournament MVP.

Australia took 3rd place - Bronze medals today.

Nice crowd on hand today for the final game. Very large contingent from the USA. Boston accepts the championship trophy at mid-court on behalf of the USA.

The players, coaches and parents that made the trip have just experienced 10 days in Europe they will never forget. Congratulations to the USA U17 women's basketball team. Two thumbs up and a tip of the cap. Job well done ladies. Your efforts this week were truly "golden". Enjoy your post game celebration this evening and your flight home. :)

iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
So, my guess is there are a few of you who can see this game somewhere where the rest of us can't, so there is no reason to provide viewing information???

I was watching on ESPN+. Same as the previous game. Evidently, you found it on the FIBA website.

Reaction Score
Naming the all tournament team:
Boston, Horston and Jones.
Rupert from France was named also; though the way she didn't show up today could have disqualified her entirely.
Horston MVP of the tournament !!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
USA U17 bad for basketball. :eek:
USA had a different player lead in:
Assists: Bueckers
Steals: Horston
Scoring: Boston
Blocks: Jones
Minutes: Fudd.
Rebounds: Horston
This was total Dominatation Jones, Boston, Horston make the All-Tournament Team. Horston the MVP

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Love your observations rvwsleep but you can't overstate how awesome Boston was. France had a really good center named Rupert. Boston completely owned her on both ends. To a lesser extent, so did Belibi.

The job Berube did putting this team together is impressive. Getting these kids to be this unselfish and commit to playing defense like they did to me is one of the most amazing things about their championship.

Reaction Score
As far as recruiting goes; take as many of the starting 5 as are willing to go to Storrs.
A word about Cooke. Yes, she plays out of control too often but she's extremely talented. She might cause Geno some stomach aches, but, she might be worth it.

Reaction Score
Love your observations rvwsleep but you can't overstate how awesome Boston was. France had a really good center named Rupert. Boston completely owned her on both ends. To a lesser extent, so did Belibi.

The job Berube did putting this team together is impressive. Getting these kids to be this unselfish and commit to playing defense like they did to me is one of the most amazing things about their championship.

Very important change. USA basketball is now using D3 instead of HS coaches for the U16-U17 teams. That is huge!

Reaction Score
If you can catch it, watch the choreographed team dance ( My favorite "In My Feelings" challenge) at the end of the award celebrations.
Drake would approve.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Carla did an awesome job! In yesterday’s game, we were up by about 20 early, and someone left the opponent open in the corner for a made three. She was pi$$ed. Sounds like her former coach. The defense was stifling.

Horston is not under the radar now. She has a rare combo of size, speed, skill, energy, and intelligence. I want her in Storrs big time!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Iliana Rupert, France's star center, stat line against USA. 0 for 10 from the field, 0 points, 5 fouls, 3 turnovers. Boston and Belibi will give her nightmares for a long time.

Berube did many little things that got my attention. When Cooke had the ball stolen today because she was looking over at the bench, Berube pulled her immediately. Cooke forced a shot during garbage time near the end of the game, out she came. USA was up 40+ at the time. Finally, in one of the early games, the team came out flat at the start of the second half and she pulled all five starters. Message sent.

They had a great press that they only showed when needed, they handled full court pressure much better as the tourney progressed, teams didn't zone them even though they didn't shoot all that well from 3. They got the ball inside at will against other team's zones. Of course, the sub pattern was established early and did not change. The most minutes anybody averaged was about 22. Kids were fresh and NOBODY got hurt. Berube and her staff get A's across the board in my book for a job well done.

Reaction Score
Congrats U17 women's world champions! Great, great job!
Also tremendous work by Carla and the other coaches in choosing and preparing this amazingly talented group of young women!
My question now is realistically and hopefully with some real info and knowledge where does U Conn stand with the three who made the all star team and are available in class of '19. Of Horston, Boston & Jones, anyone know anything more about where they are leaning and possibly why?
They won so, so overwhelmingly.
Very impressive!
Bronx23

Carnac

Reaction Score
Iliana Rupert, France's star center, stat line against USA. 0 for 10 from the field, 0 points, 5 fouls, 3 turnovers. Boston and Belibi will give her nightmares for a long time.

Berube did many little things that got my attention. When Cooke had the ball stolen today because she was looking over at the bench, Berube pulled her immediately. Cooke forced a shot during garbage time near the end of the game, out she came. USA was up 40+ at the time. Finally, in one of the early games, the team came out flat at the start of the second half and she pulled all five starters. Message sent.

They had a great press that they only showed when needed, they handled full court pressure much better as the tourney progressed, teams didn't zone them even though they didn't shoot all that well from 3. They got the ball inside at will against other team's zones. Of course, the sub pattern was established early and did not change. The most minutes anybody averaged was about 22. Kids were fresh and NOBODY got hurt. Berube and her staff get A's across the board in my book for a job well done.

Here's a final thought.................................If the "core" members of this team can remain intact for the next 2 FIBA tournaments, can any team beat them? They will be playing against the same teams and players they played against in this tournament with a few exceptions.

Do they keep the same coaches (who already know them, and who they are comfortable with), or are they handed off to a new cadre of coaches? The scary part is all of these girls will grow, mature and get better over that period. Who is going to challenge them? :eek: Thoughts.........................

Carnac

Reaction Score
23-12 at the end of the first quarter.
France hit a couple of 3's to keep them from being overwhelmed.
France will not be able to overcome a 15 deficit against the USA like they did to Australia.
Horston is a ball magnet. She's the MVP, no doubt.

Very prophetic after watching her for only 1 quarter today rvwsleep. Your stock is rising sir!!! ;)

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Here's a final thought........If this team stays together for the next 2 FIBA tournaments, can any team beat them? They will be playing against the same teams and players they played against in this tournament with a few exceptions. Do they keep the same coaches (who already know them, and who they are comfortable with), or are they handed off to a new cadre of coaches? The scary part is all of these girls will grow, mature and get better over that period. Who is going to challenge them? :eek: Thoughts.....
1. The team had four new players that were not on last year's team. (Jones!, Brink, Van Lith and I think Orsborne).
2. Their tryout process is so extensive that I would think that no spot is guaranteed. Van Lith, Fudd, Brink and possibly Boston could play on the team next year.
3. Berube coached a USA team last year. The US likes to rotate coaches so that nobody is saddled with too much of a time commitment. I am guessing that they would love to have Carla again but I am not sure what advantage she would have in doing it again.
4. Somebody mentioned that the switch to college coaches was a recent change. I didn't know that. It would seem like an attractive vehicle for an up and coming D2 or D3 coach to showcase their talents. Berube has been at Tufts for a while. I have no idea whether she has aspirations for a new challenge or not.
5. Watching Berube work reminded me a little of Brad Stevens. Like Stevens, Berube has the respect of the players while presenting herself for the most part in a calm, in-control manner.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Some afterthoughts on this team that I have not seen elsewhere.

Fran Belibi has really improved since last year and is no longer that girl that can dunk and will be a solid post player in college. In this game she owes her teammates about 5-6 assists that she missed or fumbled but she will never play with more talented passer.

Azzi Fudd should remain a PG because she is a better game manager than ALL the very talented 2020 PG in the class directly ahead of her.

Van Lith needs to take some of the dribbling out of her game. Much of her dribbling is not very purposeful.

One of the more remarkable stats in Horston’s game that should not be overlooked is the PF column. Despite being the most active perimeter defender (twice as many steals as next USA player) and being 2nd on the team in rebounding (many of which were under the basket) Horston fouled a total of 3 times in 7 games.

I disagree with @victor64 Carla’s grade should be A+ not an A. That press break she used against France (think I have seen it somewhere before) snatched the soul out of France and Horston applied a guillotine with her steals.

ESPN badly needs to update the 2019 class ranking. If ESPN truly believes that there are 7 players in the 2019 class better than Horston then no wonder they are losing so many subscribers.

Massive shout out to the players who did not make this squad and an especial big up to the ones that made the final 18 (River Baldwin, Alli Campbell, Aubrey Griffin, Hannah Gusters, Rickea Jackson, Angel Reese) and did not make the squad. This squad was a juggernaut! I have a sneaking suspicion that one of these cut players is going to take the Haley Jones approach, come back next year and claim a spot on the throne. Oh yea, UCONN just offered Aubrey Griffin-coincidence? Me thinks not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom