US Open | Page 3 | The Boneyard

US Open

Reaction Score
I want to see pros double and triple bogey holes. I want to see them hit shots off cliffs over shark infested waters. They should make these courses as challenging as possible. Watching them shoot 25 under in Cromwell is no fun.
Just go watch lousy players at the local muni. This was boardering on worthless. A lot of very good shots penalized. And what hole doesn’t let anyone have a birdie putt from less than 39’? Pathetic USGA.

Reaction Score
They admitted the holes which ended up having pin placements which bordered on ridiculous were much worst than anticipated due to windy conditions which they weren’t expecting. They will water it down and place pins in hard but fair spots today and the guy who plays the best and grinds it out the hardest will win. The real fun thing about the way it played out yesterday is Berger and Finau played great (on a different course but nonetheless not easy) and were rewarded with a chance to win. Who knows the winner may come from 4-5 strokes off the lead now?

Should be a fun Sunday, Phil should be on a flight home though!

Reaction Score
How can they not plan for more wind then expected? It’s between a bay to the north and the Atlantic to the south.

Reaction Score
Winning score -13 , Travelers has held up nice in recent years. Many regular tournaments r much more of a birdie fest than the travelers. Phil messed up any way some spin this. Just watch the high school golfers doing that , bad example from Phil a guy that's always been professional. That was a strange stunt he pulled 4 sure didn't c that coming throwing in the towel .

Reaction Score
I was there from Thursday thru Saturday. The pin placements were the real cause of the high scores. I am hearing now that they are watering the greens before Sunday's matches.

Cool story - I was on the sideline of the 10th fairway. Ernie Els hits a drive way right. None of the marshals could find it. They called in the 5 or so bystanders to help look. I found the ball and signaled the marshals.
Ernie came over and thanked me. He took a ball out of his bag and gave it to me. Despite being at a historic course watching an historic golf tournament, that was the highlight of my weekend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
14-5 covers an intentional stroke. Intent doesn’t matter.

This is nothing more than a bunch of people looking to dq a guy that they perceive as a phony.

Not according to Justin Leonard and everyone on the Golf Channel they all think DQ was the right move.

They said his intent takes 14.5 out and he should’ve been DQd and I doubt they perceive him as a phony. I have grown to like Phil but this was just a real bad look for him. Still just a one n done he shouldn’t suffer for it at all in regards to his legacy.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Not according to Justin Leonard and everyone on the Golf Channel they all think DQ was the right move.

They said his intent takes 14.5 out and he should’ve been DQd and I doubt they perceive him as a phony. I have grown to like Phil but this was just a real bad look for him. Still just a one n done he shouldn’t suffer for it at all in regards to his legacy.
Agree with this completely. While not my favorite, I respect the hell out of his game. 43 PGA tour wins and 5 majors makes for a remarkable career and obvious 1st ballot inductee to the HOF. I don't think it will hurt his reputation one bit.

In addition to intent, you could also DQ him for 33-7 'serious breach of etiquette. When a pro does that in a major you really can't let him keep playing. There are only two ways to take his action 1) your course sucks and I'm going to break the rules cause I don't care or 2) I'm done and don't feel like walking down that hill again. Either case, he can't be allowed to play on Sunday. Now the gates are open for anyone to do this and say 'Phil didn't get DQ'd.' It was funny when it happened and I actually respected it to some extent, but I don't want to see it ever again. Bad precedent for Golf to set.

Reaction Score
The nice thing about yesterdays set up is that it brought everyone back into the mix today. Should be a great final round.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Phil celebrating the put at 13 today. lmao

Reaction Score
If Koepka holds on to the win here the Travelers will have the current title holders from the British Open, PGA Championship, Masters, Players and US Open.

Reaction Score
If Koepka holds on to the win here the Travelers will have the current title holders from the British Open, PGA Championship, Masters, Players and US Open.
The Open winner usually takes the next week off. Not trying to be a buzz kill but that usually happens. Still a great field.

Reaction Score
Got a kick out of the announcers all saying Koepka is built like a linebacker. Great player though.

Reaction Score
Agree with this completely. While not my favorite, I respect the hell out of his game. 43 PGA tour wins and 5 majors makes for a remarkable career and obvious 1st ballot inductee to the HOF. I don't think it will hurt his reputation one bit.

In addition to intent, you could also DQ him for 33-7 'serious breach of etiquette. When a pro does that in a major you really can't let him keep playing. There are only two ways to take his action 1) your course sucks and I'm going to break the rules cause I don't care or 2) I'm done and don't feel like walking down that hill again. Either case, he can't be allowed to play on Sunday. Now the gates are open for anyone to do this and say 'Phil didn't get DQ'd.' It was funny when it happened and I actually respected it to some extent, but I don't want to see it ever again. Bad precedent for Golf to set.
Gimmes are next.

Reaction Score
The Open winner usually takes the next week off. Not trying to be a buzz kill but that usually happens. Still a great field.

Have worked the tourney in Cromwell several times....can't remember the Open winner ever coming....not that it didn't happen, or that I have a foolproof memory...

Reaction Score
Have worked the tourney in Cromwell several times....can't remember the Open winner ever coming....not that it didn't happen, or that I have a foolproof memory...
Justin Rose did a few years ago. He committed to the tourney, won the us Open then showed up at the Travelers. I am sure about this because I got a pic with him

Reaction Score
Yup, Rose came after he won. Webb Simpson showed up in 2012 after he won. Glover showed up in 2009. It's actually a lot more common than you'd think. Kopeka hadn't committed to Traveler's last year like he has for this year.

If you look back at some of the more recent ones too they were guys who wouldn't normally come to Travelers -- Spieth, Rory, Kaymer. Fully expect Koepka to show.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom