US Open | The Boneyard

US Open

Reaction Score
I saw Ricky’s 73 +3 thats normally game over.
But he still is right in it on this course
I’m thinking +3 might even be a winner
Average around par for the next three rounds , it’s tough but doable.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I saw Ricky’s 73 +3 thats normally game over.
But he still is right in it on this course
I’m thinking +3 might even be a winner
Average around par for the next three rounds , it’s tough but doable.
Looks like the wind will be about half what it was today for the next three days. That will bring better scores. I think 8 under would be a good target for the winning score.

Reaction Score
Was there today. Wind was whipping. Tougher conditions for players teeing off later as the greens really started to dry out. That course is a bear. No margin for error.

Also, I met Wayne Gretzky. He was following DJ. Super nice dude. Took some pics with fans.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
He won’t win but he still may make the weekend.
He's got some work to do. The cut at this point would be +5 and that will probably move to +4 with better scoring tomorrow. He'd have to shoot a 65 to make the cut. I don't see it happening.

Reaction Score
Oh and the 7th hole is still absurdly difficult. I watched about 8 straight groups go through there without a birdie. 2 Doubles, 9 bogies, 13 pars.

Reaction Score
Oh and the 7th hole is still absurdly difficult. I watched about 8 straight groups go through there without a birdie. 2 Doubles, 9 bogies, 13 pars.
Listening to Golf Channel last might, and they said you have to hit a high cut to right side, no matter where the pin was. Speith missed that spot by maybe a yard, but it landed on the green, and he still took a 5. Just brutal.

Reaction Score
Look, I'm right and you're wrong.

Sorry.

;)
In my opinion, the Masters is just quirky. If they want to shave the greens and collars, they can make it so no one breaks 80. But you can play every par 5 with driver + iron.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, the Masters is just quirky. If they want to shave the greens and collars, they can make it so no one breaks 80. But you can play every par 5 with driver + iron.

The horror!

Reaction Score
He's got some work to do. The cut at this point would be +5 and that will probably move to +4 with better scoring tomorrow. He'd have to shoot a 65 to make the cut. I don't see it happening.

USGA thinks the cut will be +10.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Somewhere between -3 to -5 for the win. DJ may be able to shoot 141 for the weekend and still win it.

Reaction Score
Tiger birdied his last two holes (really clutch) to get to +10. I wonder if that influences the cut line to have Tiger playing this weekend. Ratings!

There is nothing subjective about the cut line...it's not figure skating. Top 60 players (including ties) and anyone within 10 shots of the leader. Looks like it will be anyone at +6 or better.

Do you think if you told Phil he would hit 13/14 fairways on Thur and would finish with the same score as Speith and 6 better than Rory on Friday what the odds you could have gotten that he would have been on the first page of the leaderboard....let alone missing the cut!!

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Love watching players like Spieth struggle with ball rolling back down to their feet. Just like it was fun to watch Sergio go Tin Cup at the Masters.

The same stubbornness that makes them great and allows them to hit shots we don't dare try also leaves them open for embarrassment on the great golf tracks around the world.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
There is nothing subjective about the cut line...it's not figure skating. Top 60 players (including ties) and anyone within 10 shots of the leader. Looks like it will be anyone at +6 or better.

Do you think if you told Phil he would hit 13/14 fairways on Thur and would finish with the same score as Speith and 6 better than Rory on Friday what the odds you could have gotten that he would have been on the first page of the leaderboard....let alone missing the cut!!
They got rid or the 10 shot rule. It's only top 60 and ties. I was way off on the direction I thought the line would move with better weather.

All that being said, Dustin is a freakin machine. Had he worked hard his entire career, he'd be approaching Tiger numbers for majors.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
So going into the weekend, Tiger Cut, Day Cut, Rory Cut, Spieth Cut. Phil +6, Reed +5, Thomas +4 and everyone else +4 or +3, I would say no chance.
Fowler +2, Henley +2, Stenson +1, Rose +1, Fleetwood +1, Koepka +1, Poulter +1, Hoffman even, Piercy even, all in it.

Obviously it's DJs to lose and he's yet to put up a big number on any hole (nothing worse than a bogey).

I honestly don't see a lot of drama over the weekend. DJ cruises to a 2nd open. He's just better than everyone else right now like Tiger was a decade ago. I think he posts 4 rounds in the 60s and nobody will touch that.

Kudos to uconnfan86 to be the only one to pick him in the other thread.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom