UMass > MAC for all sports in 2025-2026 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UMass > MAC for all sports in 2025-2026

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone is happy about anything up there. Most UMass people, even football people, are seething.
I don't know what the numbers look like but I see some UMass Football fans are happy on their message boards. Maybe it's just a way to get a stronger foothold on MAC level football and then who knows what the future holds.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I don't know what the numbers look like but I see some UMass Football fans are happy on their message boards. Maybe it's just a way to get a stronger foothold on MAC level football and then who knows what the future holds.
The point is UMass Football’s ceiling is lower than UConn Puppet School’s ceiling. They are making financial decisions based on hitting a grand slam.

Reaction Score
This might get marketed as a pro-football move, but it's really just an admission that the basketball program has no remaining value. I know there's some optimism there now with Frank Martin, but the A-10 is a shell of its former self and they must know it's only going to get worse as the power leagues gain more power.

This seems like one last Hail Mary to get the football engine going, with the intent to drop or downgrade the program if and when it doesn't work. They can always go back to the A-10.
A-10, just isn't what it used to be. Hanging on to something that isn't there anymore is not smart. The Big East is a power league in hoops. The only one of its kind. For them, this move makes sense.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This move makes no sense. It burns to the ground any program any alumni care about and doesn’t help football at all. Is a schedule full of rust belt schools on the wrong side of history going to help UMass in any way?

Reaction Score
A-10, just isn't what it used to be. Hanging on to something that isn't there anymore is not smart. The Big East is a power league in hoops. The only one of its kind. For them, this move makes sense.
They only draw fans in hockey and hoops. Even that is limited. They don’t draw fans in football. This move will not add fans in football and they will lose the limited fans they have in hoops. The A10 def isn’t what it was but it is still way way better than the MAC in basketball

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
They only draw fans in hockey and hoops. Even that is limited. They don’t draw fans in football. This move will not add fans in football and they will lose the limited fans they have in hoops. The A10 def isn’t what it was but it is still way way better than the MAC in basketball
This is like if UConn went back to the AAC and tried justifying itself.

IMG_2508.jpeg

Reaction Score
The point is UMass Football’s ceiling is lower than UConn Puppet School’s ceiling. They are making financial decisions based on hitting a grand slam.
I would say UMass has just as much opportunity to win the MAC in the not too distant future as any other football program, given its athletic budget. It's a G5 conference just the same as CUSA. You said most UMass fans are seething and that may be the case, but I see a lot of happy posters celebrating this move. Especially the football fans. And don't sell short the UConn Puppetry School.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We are ignoring OSU/WSU, who I believe are both efffectively Indy in football right now.
That's OK, pretty much everyone else is too

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I would say UMass has just as much opportunity to win the MAC in the not too distant future as any other football program, given its athletic budget. It's a G5 conference just the same as CUSA. You said most UMass fans are seething and that may be the case, but I see a lot of happy posters celebrating this move. Especially the football fans. And don't sell short the UConn Puppetry School.
UMass was in the MAC previously and never went better than 4-8.

Reaction Score
UMass was in the MAC previously and never went better than 4-8.
True, UMass was in the MAC its first 4 years at the FBS level. Moving up can be a tough road. UMass would be insane to turn down an FBS conference invitation.

Reaction Score
They don’t have football fans. UMass doesn’t draw crowds to their games and MAC opponents won’t bring in crowds even if they win. Their stadium is like our old on campus football field and it’s half full or less. And basketball is done - no one is going to watch UMass play opponents from the 24th rated league where if you win the conference tournament played in front of 1,000 fans you get rewarded with a 13
seed at best

Reaction Score
Would a UConn FB only move to the MAC be the right decision if there's an opportunity? I can't imagine scheduling will be easy as an independent

Reaction Score
They don’t have football fans. UMass doesn’t draw crowds to their games and MAC opponents won’t bring in crowds even if they win. Their stadium is like our old on campus football field and it’s half full or less. And basketball is done - no one is going to watch UMass play opponents from the 24th rated league where if you win the conference tournament played in front of 1,000 fans you get rewarded with a 13
seed at best
I wouldn't apply for a job in the UMass athletic department if I were you! Pull the plug!!

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Those 6 guys are on methamphetamines, and they buy their booze from an Amtrak employee who makes it out of a still in his backyard just north of Springfield MA.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
We still get to keep our games with them...I guess?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom