UMass Lowell | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UMass Lowell

Reaction Score
I understand your concerns, and they are valid, but I’d like to think in these unprecedented times with multiple games being canceled, the tournament selection committee won’t hold teams feet to the fire for playing abbreviated “patchwork“ schedules this year. They will take UConn’s last minute COVID challenges and late start into account. I think they will realize this last minute plug in game for what it is, nothing more. UConn has already fallen behind other BE teams. Providence has already played 6 games (3-3).
Is that fair to the other teams though? This is the same argument Ohio State football is trying to make right now. Why should some teams get a break because of reputation/past performance?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Is that fair to the other teams though? This is the same argument Ohio State football is trying to make right now. Why should some teams get a break because of reputation/past performance?

The pandemic has caused rules, protocols and procedures to be altered. What do you do in UConn’s case where they had to cancel scheduled games, and delay the start of their season? They will have to catch up on the fly.

Reaction Score
The pandemic has caused rules, protocols and procedures to be altered. What do you do in UConn’s case where they had to cancel scheduled games, and delay the start of their season? They will have to catch up on the fly.
All sports are going to have this problem, and probably will follow the football model which has mostly already worked out the answers to all of these questions. Teams will have to play at least 13 games to qualify for the tournament which should be doable. How the auto-qualifiers work remains to be seen in the absence of conference tournaments, but I'd guess the auto-qualifiers are left up to each conference to figure out who represents them. Rankings and seedings will be where the questions come up the same way the CFB playoff committee will have to grapple with what to do with OSU widely regarded as one of the top teams in the country, but has just five wins thanks to Covid while their peers have resumes with 8-9-10 wins, including another undefeated team from Ohio. Luckily the big dance invites 64 teams so this is less a factor as UConn could go 12-1 and still get invited (at least I think they would).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom