Umass greaseball coach takes shot at Uconn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Umass greaseball coach takes shot at Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrec...dley-120018;_ylt=AiF4rF7S6eJtFs32mRejuRlDPZB4

UMass's only 3 star recruit. Have to wonder what he was thinking.

First time poster....UMass alum and fan....not trolling. Although I'm a UMass fan, I am foremost a sports fan and fully appreciate what UConn has done since the old Yankee conference. You guys made "right" decisions along the way while UMass balked. Fully understand that and now UMass is trying to catch up. With conference realignment as it is, this is probably not the best time to try to catch up

As far as this post, I'm not sure where you are getting that UMass has only one 3 star kid. 24/7 sports has them at 7....This is a very good class for a staff in their first year recruiting a FBS team.

I am 100% convinced that reviving the rivalry with UConn would be good for both schools and would go a long way to breathe life into interest for college sports in a predominately "pro sports" area.

Reaction Score
I pretty much agree with all that. I still think your coach made a stupid comment for the press to quote. But, hey, that's his call and my guess he pays for it on the field. Not sure how it gets much worse than last season. The Minutemen don't get it past their own 30...........?

Reaction Score
I pretty much agree with all that. I still think your coach made a stupid comment for the press to quote. But, hey, that's his call and my guess he pays for it on the field. Not sure how it gets much worse than last season. The Minutemen don't get it past their own 30...........?

I was there and it was bad for sure. Our offense had the "deer in the headlight" thing going on all night. But remember, you played basically a 1AA team. The jump to 1A is not an easy one and takes time. I have to admit though, I was pretty proud of our defense that night. They gave up 23 points and held your running back under 100 yds. That was impressive considering they were on the field all night

As far as what Molnar said, I was at the signing event in Amherst and the quote was a response to a question concerning BCS conferences and the Big East. I agree, he could have answered the question generically and not singled out UConn and Temple. He's trying to establish his team in New England and I think he is trying to fire up rivalries.

Reaction Score
You live with what you say. My guess is that the next time these programs play that quote is on a bulletin board in UCONN's locker room. If P is smart and gets the chance, Molnar will get to comment on what it feels like to have 50 or 60 hung on him by a non-BCS program.

Reaction Score
Hopefully P won't be the head coach the next time UConn plays UMass. To our UMass visitor, welcome, and I agree that the two should play annually. If UConn is going to play someone from the MAC annually, which has been the case since we moved up, it should undoubtedly be UMass. I'd make it always at Rentschler with alternating home games. Easier commute for both fan bases than going to the Razor every other year.

Reaction Score
Hopefully P won't be the head coach the next time UConn plays UMass. To our UMass visitor, welcome, and I agree that the two should play annually. If UConn is going to play someone from the MAC annually, which has been the case since we moved up, it should undoubtedly be UMass. I'd make it always at Rentschler with alternating home games. Easier commute for both fan bases than going to the Razor every other year.

I would agree with that arrangement short term. When and if (I believe it's" when") UMass builds a competitive program, I think it will fire up our eastern Mass alum and I think it should then be a true home and home every year. I live in Stafford, so I'm all for your plan right now!!!!

Reaction Score
Don't you guys need to get a true home first?

Although things may change, the plan is to move 1-2 games back to Amherst starting in 2014 but to renew the contract with Gillette to keep the bigger games there long term. McGuirk, with the renovations starting in the spring, will be fine for MAC games as well as any FCS games they might want to schedule.

Reaction Score
Umm...didn't the UMass Board of Regents (or Whatever) narrowly miss voting for the return of the football team to Div. 1-AA? Good day, Sir.

This whole fiasco was somewhat misleading. The Faculty Senate, led by a blowhard named Max Page (an art prof) forced a vote that had absolutely no bearing whatsoever. The Faculty Senate had absolutely no power to force the Chancellor to take any action towards football. They can make recommendations only. The Chancellor has expressed his support of the move. The day of the vote, 37 of the 70 Faculty Senators showed up. Max didn't even have support within that body. The only thing they accomplished was bad PR from that moron Holer from the Boston Globe.

Reaction Score
I was there and it was bad for sure. Our offense had the "deer in the headlight" thing going on all night. But remember, you played basically a 1AA team. The jump to 1A is not an easy one and takes time. I have to admit though, I was pretty proud of our defense that night. They gave up 23 points and held your running back under 100 yds. That was impressive considering they were on the field all night

As far as what Molnar said, I was at the signing event in Amherst and the quote was a response to a question concerning BCS conferences and the Big East. I agree, he could have answered the question generically and not singled out UConn and Temple. He's trying to establish his team in New England and I think he is trying to fire up rivalries.

Our offense was an uncoordinated mess last season. Our OC was a sad and confused gentleman who has been demoted.

You guys on the other hand. We've have I-AA teams come in and look better than that. But the whole game was ugly all around.

Reaction Score
That or it was all he could qualify for. Let's see if he ever shows up on campus.

Obviously didn't take the time to look at where his numerous offers came from

Reaction Score
Obviously didn't take the time to look at where his numerous offers came from

Really? You believe everything you read on the internet?

"Offers" get retracted all the time... once the grades shake out and all sorts of other factors.

We used to land "three star" types that had "offers" from schools with similar profiles. They would end up committing to UConn but would end up at a Prep School. Don't know anything about your guy, I hope he shows up to campus. Everyone knows that a handful of kids from nearly every class never do.

Reaction Score
With any luck he'll be half as good as Cauley, Brown, Todman, Dre......all two stars

Honestly, folks look at these recruiting sites and give them way, way too much credibility.

Reaction Score
With any luck he'll be half as good as Cauley, Brown, Todman, Dre......all two stars

Honestly, folks look at these recruiting sites and give them way, way too much credibility.

Pretty much.

Reaction Score
I really don't go by the number of stars... I'm going on the offers....all those schools don't offer the kid after seeing him unless he can play. I understand for the bigger schools he was probably a safety offer in case the kids they really want go elsewhere. I'm really not trying to make this kid anything he is not...I just think he is a really good get for UMass. Our best freshman performer last year, linebacker Kassan Messiah, was a "not rated" kid. Stars don't mean that much

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
this is great, teaching umass fans about how recruting works, then next year they can officialy join the NBE. horay!!!!!:confused:

Reaction Score
this is great, teaching umass fans about how recruting works, then next year they can officialy join the NBE. horay!!!!!:confused:

Why would we want to join the NBE....if you guys and Cinn. were staying it would be a discussion....but after you're gone...rather be in the MAC

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Why would we want to join the NBE....if you guys and Cinn. were staying it would be a discussion....but after you're gone...rather be in the MAC

and whats the worst thing that could happen for u???? u join and uconn and cincy leave? so what that mean u get to play usf, ucf, temple and ecu who are all upgrades for u both on the field and recruiting wise. u can always go back to the mac also. they will be there. i would think playing the top teams outside the power 4 would be a good thing for umass building a program. recruit pa, nc and fl? yes please lol. your nutzo or simply umass fans have no clue about the landscape of college football(i dono which). plus if uconn and cincy left, the nbe would jump all over ohio and get the recruit terroitory back also. so it would be a huge boost to recruiting for u. not to mentiont exas access also...

Reaction Score
It's very easy to badmouth the MAC, however they are a very stable conference. They know who they are and they have no delusions that they are something that they are not. They put 7 teams in bowl games this year.

As far as me being nutzo, that is very possible, but I'm not sure what it was in my post that brought you to that conclusion. The MAC is good football (not SEC or Big 10).. but good, solid football. As far as the NBE out-recruiting the MAC in the rustbelt....good luck with that!!!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Molnar also took a brief shot at Temple and UConn, whose membership in the Big East he feels no longer carries the same cache in recruiting.
“I don’t know if you consider UConn and Temple to be BCS after next season,” Molnar said. “We certainly don’t.”

http://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/index.ssf/2013/02/highlights_for_umass_football.html

7248088.jpeg

He looks like a used car salesman. Let him win some on the MAC before he talks smack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom