UConn's four freshmen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's four freshmen

Reaction Score
If Hawkins isn't starting 75% of the games by season end - something is wrong (barring injury or full body cramps:cool:)
You can't sit a talent like that - he'll be here for only 2 years so you have to get the most out of him while you have him
I think Diggins will be really pushing RJ and I think RJ will have a really nice season - this is good
I have heard that DH is very high on Johnson but the minutes are going to be really tough for him unless he can play the 3? I don't know enough about him to say he could slip into the 3 though
It's nice to see a boatload of talent and a pleasant problem for DH and staff
As long as you don't see Hawkins with any "cupping" on his legs or shoulders i think he should be fine!:cool::)

Reaction Score
Hawk will be Bouk-Lite.. Has the onions/skills to be an impact player YR 1

Reaction Score
Fyi ya'll... Hawkins is not the shot creator that Bouk was. Saying he'll seamlessly fit into that role isn't going to happen. He doesn't have nearly the arsenal of move to create separation. Spot up 3s, 1 dribble pull ups and straight line drives are his game. Very effecient.

You need to look more carefully at the spin moves and crossovers you're seeing in those videos. His handle is very loose. The Big East will eat that alive.

I still believe he starts by mid-January over Gaff and is our best freshman by far. His defense and shooting are too good to play 15 a game. If he can shoot 40% from 3 and score 12ppg he's a one and done. It's unlikely but possible.
Opinions are opinions in this case even more so since we haven't really seen anything yet BUT I fundamentally disagree with this take on Hawkins. I think he's more gifted across the board than Bouk was coming in. Does he grow the way JB did is the real question. My opinion is that he's going to be the real impact player in this fresh class and he will have a monumental impact on the offensive end by the time the games really matter. Bold prediction: BE-ROY serious consideration when it's all said and done. He has something Bouk didn't, talent loaded around him and we NEED his skill set. I actually think the talent just about everywhere else coupled with lack of proven offensive playmaking will help him have MORE of an impact than Bouk did. Here's hoping!

Reaction Score
Opinions are opinions in this case even more so since we haven't really seen anything yet BUT I fundamentally disagree with this take on Hawkins. I think he's more gifted across the board than Bouk was coming in. Does he grow the way JB did is the real question. My opinion is that he's going to be the real impact player in this fresh class and he will have a monumental impact on the offensive end by the time the games really matter. Bold prediction: BE-ROY serious consideration when it's all said and done. He has something Bouk didn't, talent loaded around him and we NEED his skill set. I actually think the talent just about everywhere else coupled with lack of proven offensive playmaking will help him have MORE of an impact than Bouk did. Here's hoping!
More gifted than Bouk? Please.

Reaction Score

I never said he was or wasn't more gifted than Bouk. That, while unlikely, I do not know. I don't make those comparisons unless I'm sure. I look at skillsets.

I do know that as of February 2021 when I watched all but 2 of his games, Hawkins was not nearly the 1v1 shot creator and ballhandler people are making him out to be.

He is a brilliant shooter off the catch or 1 dribble, has a basic straight line drive, and is a top-notch defender.

Bouk was an okay shooter with ridiculous shot creation ability, some of the best finishing we've ever seen at UConn and okay defense.

Who is more talented is a silly argument because for shooting guards, they have almost polar opposite skill sets offensively. Maybe except that neither is a great passer.

Reaction Score
How do you think the minutes will be distributed among the four freshmen ( Rashool, Jordan, Samson and Corey). Do you think Corey will get enough minutes to make it worth reclassifying? I personally think if Corey Floyd Jr plays well he will get his minutes. But what do you all think?
I'm not sure how this will pan out but IT WILL PAN OUT! Dan could go with the 5 best as starters, and then substitute as needed; He could announce starters based on Match ups; He could substitute in teams....whatever he decides we can only trust that it will be for the BEST.

Reaction Score
Thoughts:
-much more talented and deeper roster this year than last
-practice might be more difficult than many of the games
-DH realized with AS last year that he has to play his best and most promising players to win, develop the younger players and make UConn a more attractive place for recruits
-DH is feeling for the first time in his career how fleeting a player's time might be with UConn (JB) and will more likely use his best players, regardless of the time they've been on the team
-can anyone say Posh Alexander when considering the potential impact CF might have as a freshman (and I know they don't play the same position)?

Reaction Score
Thoughts:
-much more talented and deeper roster this year than last
-practice might be more difficult than many of the games
-DH realized with AS last year that he has to play his best and most promising players to win, develop the younger players and make UConn a more attractive place for recruits
-DH is feeling for the first time in his career how fleeting a player's time might be with UConn (JB) and will more likely use his best players, regardless of the time they've been on the team
-can anyone say Posh Alexander when considering the potential impact CF might have as a freshman (and I know they don't play the same position)?

I agree we are deeper, but without Bouk, we don‘t currently have a go to guy when we need a bucket. Hopefully someone steps up. This may be closer by Committee based on hot hand.

Reaction Score
I agree we are deeper, but without Bouk, we don‘t currently have a go to guy when we need a bucket. Hopefully someone steps up. This may be closer by Committee based on hot hand.
The college game .. well NBA too..doesn't much care for the dump it down for an easy 2 set anymore.

Adama seems to have the work ethic where he could break the modern mold and be the big bucket guy inside. If one of the guys can shoot 3s at 35%, maybe just maybe down low opens up. Guy is big and will have good hands.

Hey. Why not Karl Malone light?

Reaction Score
I never said he was or wasn't more gifted than Bouk. That, while unlikely, I do not know. I don't make those comparisons unless I'm sure. I look at skillsets.

I do know that as of February 2021 when I watched all but 2 of his games, Hawkins was not nearly the 1v1 shot creator and ballhandler people are making him out to be.

He is a brilliant shooter off the catch or 1 dribble, has a basic straight line drive, and is a top-notch defender.

Bouk was an okay shooter with ridiculous shot creation ability, some of the best finishing we've ever seen at UConn and okay defense.

Who is more talented is a silly argument because for shooting guards, they have almost polar opposite skill sets offensively. Maybe except that neither is a great passer.
Careless turnovers are not popular with MJ. James will need to tighten up that part of his game. That needs to be the foundation before he even thinks about Showtime.

Reaction Score
The college game .. well NBA too..doesn't much care for the dump it down for an easy 2 set anymore.

Adama seems to have the work ethic where he could break the modern mold and be the big bucket guy inside. If one of the guys can shoot 3s at 35%, maybe just maybe down low opens up. Guy is big and will have good hands.

Hey. Why not Karl Malone light?
Lots to like about Adama.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
End-of-season averages:
  • Diggins: 8-12 backing up Cole
  • Hawkins: 14-24 minutes playing the 2 and some 3. Might start by end of year depending on how Gaffney does with role during start of season.
  • Johnson: 6-10 minutes as 4th option on the frontcourt behind Sanogo, Whaley and Akok
  • Floyd: redshirt

I think this is a great prediction.

this would be a good year for an early season Calhoun style cupcake feast early so we could get a lot of mix and match, lowered pressure run to see what shakes out.

but we have a gauntlet in Atlantis early that we need to be prepared for and usually that would indicate that the guys who have seen a lot of floor time the last couple seasons will need to be playing the most, because no team wants to walk out of that 0-3 or 1-2. Which is entirely possible for every team in that tourney. That would really hurt our OOC tourney resume.

it’s going to be a very interesting November December before getting to big East play as far as seeing rotations.

Reaction Score
Wouldnt hurt to build a team first mentality and a pass first team and let a certain next echelon player develop mid to end of the season. I think we have so many high quality pieces such as hawkins, sanogo, akok that this will sort itself out.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Corey - Reshirt
Hawk - Starter by the end of December and 2nd scoring option; similar to Bouk’s freshman year
Sool - Backup PG as Jalen transitions to a more traditional combo role; 15 minutesish per game. 2nd on the team in assists by end of season
Samson - spot defensive piece at the 4 and 5 early, rotational piece by end of year.

That’s how I see it playing out.

Reaction Score
Corey - Reshirt
Hawk - Starter by the end of December and 2nd scoring option; similar to Bouk’s freshman year
Sool - Backup PG as Jalen transitions to a more traditional combo role; 15 minutesish per game. 2nd on the team in assists by end of season
Samson - spot defensive piece at the 4 and 5 early, rotational piece by end of year.

That’s how I see it playing out.
Interesting spin..Will wait until after preseason to make any speculative predictions on these guys.

IMO.. Hawk sees himself as no more than a two year CBB player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom