UConn's four freshmen | The Boneyard

UConn's four freshmen

Reaction Score
How do you think the minutes will be distributed among the four freshmen ( Rashool, Jordan, Samson and Corey). Do you think Corey will get enough minutes to make it worth reclassifying? I personally think if Corey Floyd Jr plays well he will get his minutes. But what do you all think?

Reaction Score
How do you think the minutes will be distributed among the four freshmen ( Rashool, Jordan, Samson and Corey). Do you think Corey will get enough minutes to make it worth reclassifying? I personally think if Corey Floyd Jr plays well he will get his minutes. But what do you all think?
Corey redshirt this season. Rashool 20 minutes,Jordan 25 , Samson 15 . Floyd will work on his game and improve.

Reaction Score
Corey redshirt.
Diggins 5-10 depending how he’s doing in an individual game.
Johnson 5 mins, DNP some games.
Hawkins 15 minutes in the beginning of the season, 25 by the end.

Hurley has shown over and over again that freshmen need to prove they belong on the floor, and it takes them longer than preseason to prove that.

Reaction Score
End-of-season averages:
  • Diggins: 8-12 backing up Cole
  • Hawkins: 14-24 minutes playing the 2 and some 3. Might start by end of year depending on how Gaffney does with role during start of season.
  • Johnson: 6-10 minutes as 4th option on the frontcourt behind Sanogo, Whaley and Akok
  • Floyd: redshirt

Reaction Score
1) Hawkins: Plays role of Bouk, comes off bench early, becomes a primary scorer a la Bouk (we have much more talent than during Bouk's frosh year so #s not the same)

2) Johnson: 5-10 mins a game, too talented to not play some, but minutes will be higher in preseason, lower in Big East play.

3) Diggins: Plays strong role off bench - he has that moxie KEA had seemingly. Guys like that don't barely play. Cole might be more effective as a shooter with less minutes with his limited foot speed/athleticism as well and having fresher legs. Don't think he sees Kemba-like 25 mins but aroudn 15 mins (12-18 mins avg).

4) Floyd: Again, guys with his mindset and physicality early don't sit if he can avoid the redshirt.
Best Case: Carve out a Brendan Adams role early.
Ultimately: I agree, he redshirts
Really jacked for a guard like him in the program.

No matter where you come down on this, one thing is for sure. With some depth finally at guard, there is competition.
-I'm not worried about anybody's feelings getting hurt, good programs and JC didn't - let the best players play!
-Competition will make everyone better and players won't be able to play timid or go back to Ollie-fragility like Md. Loss!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Corey redshirt this season. Rashool 20 minutes,Jordan 25 , Samson 15 . Floyd will work on his game and improve.

You have at least doubled Rashool and Samson's minutes.

Agree on Floyd.

Hawkins is most difficult to pin down but I think he is closer to 15 min than 25 min.

Reaction Score
This group of four will be interesting to watch.. Alphas with talent and leadership skills who were probably convinced PT was/is available if they perform in practice,,Then in games.

They are going to keep the upperclassmen looking over their shoulders. A great position for DH to be in as he molds this year's team into a Tournament team capable of a deep run.

Reaction Score
If Corey practices well, he plays. Hurley is going to play the players who will help the team win games. The goal may be redshirt, but it needs to play out.
I agree...I saw DH saying before Corey re-classified that no mins available as a challenge to Floyd...make me find mins to play you this year.

The internal goal this year has to be the 2nd weekend at minimum, so DH will play those who can help reach that. The very least Floyd will push those ahead of him to be better...win / win either way.

Reaction Score
I worry about 3 point shooting. Besides Cole can any of these guys make % 3’s

Reaction Score
that’s danny’s problem. this team watch out

Reaction Score
I worry about 3 point shooting. Besides Cole can any of these guys make % 3’s
I don't know if he will definitely have our best 3% shooting percentage as a freshman, but all indications are that Hawkins is our most talented shooter and scorer.

Reaction Score
Corey Floyd Jr. is one tough kid. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he winds up playing meaningful minutes as a freshman.

Reaction Score
None of us has access to practice where we see these player’s skills relative to each other so it is pretty much a guessing game every year until the rubber meets the road. And even then against less than stellar early season competition we all have a tendency to jump to conclusions that may not prove valid later. That’s why these new players putting Whaley and Martin and Gaffney on the bench kinda make me laugh.

Reaction Score
Fyi ya'll... Hawkins is not the shot creator that Bouk was. Saying he'll seamlessly fit into that role isn't going to happen. He doesn't have nearly the arsenal of move to create separation. Spot up 3s, 1 dribble pull ups and straight line drives are his game. Very effecient.

You need to look more carefully at the spin moves and crossovers you're seeing in those videos. His handle is very loose. The Big East will eat that alive.

I still believe he starts by mid-January over Gaff and is our best freshman by far. His defense and shooting are too good to play 15 a game. If he can shoot 40% from 3 and score 12ppg he's a one and done. It's unlikely but possible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
End-of-season averages:
  • Diggins: 8-12 backing up Cole
  • Hawkins: 14-24 minutes playing the 2 and some 3. Might start by end of year depending on how Gaffney does with role during start of season.
  • Johnson: 6-10 minutes as 4th option on the frontcourt behind Sanogo, Whaley and Akok
  • Floyd: redshirt
Yes, this is a savvy pre-season projection, both as to personnel and minutes. But it also reflects our best hope. We hope that Diggins settles in behind Cole as a solid backup and heir-apparent at PG. We hope that Hawkins can bring firepower to the 2 that we aren't likely to get from Gaffney, Martin or Jackson (and allowing Floyd to redshirt.) We hope that Johnson can meld in behind Akok, Whaley and Sanogo to give us a 4-5 rotation of talented bigs playing their natural positions. All this would leave the logjam at the 3, but my personal hope is that Jackson's incredible athleticism and court vision will come to the fore and settle that issue.

Reaction Score
Regarding Whaley, Martin and Polley, I respect the argument that all three will be seeing major minutes this year. But while I respect the argument, I'm unhappy with it. It is a limiting extrapolation that puts a ceiling on this year's chances. Our hope for this year can be far beyond that. The hope centers on point production coming from the 2 and the 4, namely from Hawkins and Akok. This is not a pipe dream. Hawkins is a scorer, and Akok came to UConn as an acknowledged 3-point threat. We can get scoring from these two, and if we can, it permits the glorious luxury of playing Jackson at the 3. Then, with Cole (or Diggins) and Sanogo, we have a starting line-up to kill for -- crazy athleticism at the wings, a strong interior presence, outside scoring threats. UConn, this year, is a team with exciting possibilities. Let us not limit ourselves to the idea of some marginal improvement.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
Think Corey needs to red shirt because there are 0 minutes for him right now

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If Hawkins isn't starting 75% of the games by season end - something is wrong (barring injury or full body cramps:cool:)
You can't sit a talent like that - he'll be here for only 2 years so you have to get the most out of him while you have him
I think Diggins will be really pushing RJ and I think RJ will have a really nice season - this is good
I have heard that DH is very high on Johnson but the minutes are going to be really tough for him unless he can play the 3? I don't know enough about him to say he could slip into the 3 though
It's nice to see a boatload of talent and a pleasant problem for DH and staff

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom