UConn Transfer Portal | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Exactly what I was thinking. But the schools with power were always going to shape the rules to their advantage. So this is what we have got. In a couple years UConn will be playing at the FCS level. And BB will be in danger in a few years unless a billionaire benefactor comes along to save it. But there are a lot better ways to spend one's money at a university than sports.
I’m just glad I don’t need to support it.

Reaction Score
I think there's two plausible scenarios in terms of Houston's departure:

1- he got recruited by another school dangling NIL for next year, or

2- Mora called him out for lack of hustle in practice/bad effort or behavior and he couldn't stand the heat and quit.

My gut tells me it's #2.
My gut tells me it is both. Lotta fragile egos these days.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
So, are college athletes signed with agents now? If so, they're all probably hearing "we can do better" every day.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If PJ Fleck is worried about his team becoming a AAA team due to not having enough NIL money, does that make UConn Hartford Twilight League baseball?

Screenshot_20230929_064417.jpg

Reaction Score
Whoever sets them up get to make the rules. And then others can contribute based on those rules or not. Freedom of contract.
What are the NCAA reporting requirements, do we know? Both for the collectives and individual players paid by collectives? Are any of the payments in the public domain? Do we have any sense at all what the going rates are for various positions and skill levels? Do we have a sense of what the current UConn players are making?

Reaction Score
And, you may be able to attract a top rated local QB like Dan Orlovsky.

DO would be out of his mind if he were to give up his current gig and jump into a burning dumpster.

You need to find and bring in up and coming coaches. Which MAC teams could we beat? How are these schools putting significantly better offensive teams on the field. I believe it’s now clear that Charlton is not the answer.

Reaction Score
I think there's two plausible scenarios in terms of Houston's departure:

1- he got recruited by another school dangling NIL for next year, or

2- Mora called him out for lack of hustle in practice/bad effort or behavior and he couldn't stand the heat and quit.

My gut tells me it's #2.
#3 Players have only so many seasons of eligibility to showcase themselves for the next level, while also trying to make the most out of their experience as a college athlete.

I preface my comments by saying that I root for UConn Football. I've adopted them as my second program, and I want them to succeed. That said I am not an alum or an all sports die hard, so I feel that I can be a little more objective about what I am watching on Saturday Afternoons. Right now, the offense is bad. Like really bad. Sadly, it does not look like something that can be fixed over a short period of time. It also does not look like it would be any fun to be a part of as a player. With the rules that are in place allowing redshirts and transfers I'm not surprised that kids on that side of the ball are weighing their options. Hopefully Mora can stabilize things and make the necessary corrections in the offseason. Fagano and Roberson are not even close to serviceable for this level of competition. Charlton isn't even worth discussing. Find a QB, any QB be it Zion, Tucker or somebody in the portal, and give the supporting cast hope that something positive can get going on Offense.

Reaction Score
What are the NCAA reporting requirements, do we know? Both for the collectives and individual players paid by collectives? Are any of the payments in the public domain? Do we have any sense at all what the going rates are for various positions and skill levels? Do we have a sense of what the current UConn players are making?
The NCAA has basically zero control over football.

Reaction Score
The portal would have been great had NIL money not come into play. It's going to be hard for schools even in the power to compete with name brands like ND, Michigan, OSU, USC, Alabama, FSU, Texas and Miami for that money.
"It's going to be hard for schools even in the power to compete with name brands like ND, Michigan, OSU, USC, Alabama, FSU, Texas and Miami for that money."

That's how the big boys want it and that's what will keep them in the big boys room............with the rest of CFB serving as their feeders in return for some paydays for lesser P4 members and the crumbs of "pay" games for the peons in the lesser leagues.

Reaction Score
"It's going to be hard for schools even in the power to compete with name brands like ND, Michigan, OSU, USC, Alabama, FSU, Texas and Miami for that money."

That's how the big boys want it and that's what will keep them in the big boys room............with the rest of CFB serving as their feeders in return for some paydays for lesser P4 members and the crumbs of "pay" games for the peons in the lesser leagues.
It's biting the hands that feed you, but hey, someone wins something.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Scholarship limits and transfer portal started leveling playing field between haves and have nots.

NIL was big boy response to the field getting leveled.

Now Bama can once again stash talent on their bench because it pays more to ride pine at Bama compared to starting at UAB.

Reaction Score
Scholarship limits and transfer portal started leveling playing field between haves and have nots.

NIL was big boy response to the field getting leveled.

Now Bama can once again stash talent on their bench because it pays more to ride pine at Bama compared to starting at UAB.
Except it looks like Bama is falling behind other schools because they aren't paying what other schools are. Saban and Bama can only get so far on reputation alone. Unless they figure out the NIL money, schools like Texas are going to consistently surpass them.

Reaction Score
This one hurts players aren’t built like Jackson Mitchell. Brewton leavin umm ok whatever but Houston leaving sucks. With thousands of players hitting the portal, and Houston coming back means he trusted Mora and even Charlton.

Transferring during a season is weak in my opinion but this reality and I hope this is a slap in the face to Mora to wake up and do some soul searching. It’s time for Mora to take over and he needs to finish the rest of season with anger and take that anger into the off-season.
Would that “take over…with anger” include more hands-on involvement in the offense?

Reaction Score
DO would be out of his mind if he were to give up his current gig and jump into a burning dumpster.

You need to find and bring in up and coming coaches. Which MAC teams could we beat? How are these schools putting significantly better offensive teams on the field. I believe it’s now clear that Charlton is not the answer.
I think you misunderstood the reference to DO; it was about getting local players to come here, as happened with DO, not about DO (or anyone else) coming as coaches!

Reaction Score
Don't be so sure. The ACC is gonna need more schools shortly.
Why will the ACC need more schools? Now that they’ve “recruited“ (over the past decade) BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Stanford, Cal, and SMU, they‘re at 18.

Even if they were to lose FSU and Clemson, they would continue to qualify for the FBS cash grab, so I don’t understand why they’d need us (especially if we continue in and around the weekly Bottom 10).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Except it looks like Bama is falling behind other schools because they aren't paying what other schools are. Saban and Bama can only get so far on reputation alone. Unless they figure out the NIL money, schools like Texas are going to consistently surpass them.

Well, they know what'$ required to $tay elite.

Reaction Score
So Texas might finally become relevant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#