UConn Top 20 (Here we go again) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Top 20 (Here we go again)

Reaction Score
The Boneyard has debated this many times before, but impressions do change over time (for example, a few years ago we had Hamilton as #2).

Here is how my buddy and I come out now.

Regardless of relative position, have we inadvertently forgotten anyone?

TOP TEN

1 Ray Allen best of the best
2 Kemba Walker
3 Richard Hamilton
4 Omeka Okafor
5 Khalid El-Amin
6 Shabazz Napier
7 Donyell Marshall
8 Caron Butler
9 Cliff Robinson
10 Rudy Gay

NEXT TEN

11 James Booknight if no injuries - up?
12 Ben Gordon
13 Ricky Moore
14 Chris Smith started it all
15 Jeremy Lamb
16 A J Price
17 Ryan Boatright
18 Jerome Dyson
19 Christian Vital on a weak team
20 Jalen Adams on a weak team

OTHER NOTABLES (IN ALPHA ORDER)

? Jeff Adrian
? Josh Boone
? Scott Burrell
? Kevin Freeman underrated
? Phil Gamble
? Tate George
? Neils Giffey
? Nadov Henefeld (only one year)
? Donny Marshall
? Kevin Ollie
? Doron Sheffer
? Adama Sonago potentially
? Hasheem Thabeet
Ben Gordon is way too low- lol- Bouknight over Gordon- lol- probably one of the funniest things I’ve seen in a while- the whole list I would put under scrutiny- to each is own though.

Reaction Score
Reasonable people could argue Caron or Rip on the team they most want to watch. On a college level, Cliff Robinson couldn't carry Donyell Marshall's water.
I agree Donyell was the better player, but he also had a lot more talent around him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree Donyell was the better player, but he also had a lot more talent around him.
But it's not like Cliff carried a bunch of stiffs, he had a 1st rounder playing with him. That NIT title was a team effort, not a case of "Cliffy and the Miracles".

Reaction Score
He wasn't playing center, he told JC he wouldn't. He was a PF.
Cliff was always posting up. Regardless of what JC told him, he was playing lots of center. My point was that these days, he'd be a wing in the NBA and shooting the 3 a lot more. Judging by the dribbling displays I saw him put on while fooling around with the guards, he'd be able to play the 2 and even bring the ball up if he wanted to. He was an incredible natural talent, but his real ability wasn't truly tapped due to the style of play for guys his size back then.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cliff was always posting up. Regardless of what JC told him, he was playing lots of center. My point was that these days, he'd be a wing in the NBA and shooting the 3 a lot more. Judging by the dribbling displays I saw him put on while fooling around with the guards, he'd be able to play the 2 and even bring the ball up if he wanted to. He was an incredible natural talent, but his real ability wasn't truly tapped due to the style of play for guys his size back then.
Yes, today's game would have fit him better. But even back then, Cliff took plenty of jumpers. If only he made more in the big spots. There were two Cliffs, BS and AS. Before Snub and After Snub. After the snub, he was driven. But that's not the guy who played for UConn. If his "real ability wasn't truly tapped", much of that was on him.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Yes, today's game would have fit him better. But even back then, Cliff took plenty of jumpers. If only he made more in the big spots. There were two Cliffs, BS and AS. Before Snub and After Snub. After the snub, he was driven. But that's not the guy who played for UConn. If his "real ability wasn't truly tapped", much of that was on him.
'If only he made more in the big spots.'
nit semifinal
UConn 73, BC 67
with the game on the line at the end, Cliff Robinson scored the final seven points on his way to 29. 29 out of 73 total points. that's a lot, no?
listen to the commentary, starting around 1 hour, 20 minutes, u will hear things like 'the Franchise' and 'he has been extraordinary.'
extra-ordinary, that's more than ordinary, no?
iffn he didn't brick a few ft's, he'd have way more than 30.

our pal raftery on the mic.
check him out at th end of the 1st half, around the 47 minute mark.
'i will knock u so far upside ur head, that u'll never be wearing a hat again.' refs, lots of jawing all around, the whole shebang. tuff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But it's not like Cliff carried a bunch of stiffs, he had a 1st rounder playing with him. That NIT title was a team effort, not a case of "Cliffy and the Miracles".
Never said that. But, Donyell had a much better cast. It isn't really close. That said, Donyell was clearly the better of the two.

Reaction Score
Here is what I would have including where I think you could argue them:

1. Ray Allen - Clear #1
2. Kemba Walker - (2-3)
3. Omeka Okafor - (2-4)
4. Richard Hamilton - (3-4)
5. Donyell Marshall - (5)
6. Hasheem Thabeet - (6-7)
7. Caron Butler- (6-8)
8. Ben Gordon- (6-9)
9. Cliff Robinson- (8-9)
10. Khalid El-Amin- (10-11)