UConn Top 20 (Here we go again) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Top 20 (Here we go again)

Reaction Score
No honorable mention love for Jake Voskuhl?? Remove Vital and Adams from top 20 please the rest is arbitrary.

Reaction Score
This, Kemba's junior season, or Ray's junior are IMO the best seasons of any UConn players. Lead guard, vs off Guard vs front court... hard to compare past that IMO.

So if you start from there, Donyell and Ray both had better surrounding casts than Kamba did. And yet, Kamba won a championship and they didn’t.

Reaction Score
This, Kemba's junior season, or Ray's junior are IMO the best seasons of any UConn players. Lead guard, vs off Guard vs front court... hard to compare past that IMO.
Okafor has to be right alongside them at least. Ray was amazing that year but unfortunately didn't get it done in the tournament. Those were heady days for the Big East and northeast basketball. Ray, Iverson, Kittles, and Camby were 4 of the 5 best players in college basketball, along with Tim Duncan who was supposed to go to Providence. It always pains me Camby didn't play with Ray at UConn, we would have more national championships.

Reaction Score
Hot take alert! Wins a ring as a frosh, one of the best players in the country as a junior, the best player as a senior. But let's talk about sophomore year.

Here is the hot take.. A guy named Kemba and a kid named Lamb were the reason for the 2011 ring.

As a matter of fact Bazz was not even the best freshman on the team..

T.O. has 2 rings too by the way

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Here is the hot take.. A guy named Kemba and a kid named Lamb were the reason for the 2011 ring.

I wasn't talking about rings. I was talking about being the best player in the country. Which is what Bazz was.

Reaction Score

When you find yourself comparing Shabazz Napier's legacy to Tyler Olander's you should realize that you're clinging to a terrible take just for the sake of being difficult and you should probably just give it up.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Uncle Cliffy was directly responsible for our winning our first national title.
some of these very fine and most excellant other players didn't win
squat. if the NIT is supposedly a nothingburger, why didn't some of those guys win it?
cliff-robinson-main.jpg

the pioneer, and founder, of UConn championship grit.
im pretty sure his given name is Moses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uncle Cliffy was directly responsible for our winning our first national title.
some of these very fine and most excellant other players didn't win
squat. if the NIT is supposedly a nothingburger, why didn't some of those guys win it?
cliff-robinson-main.jpg

the pioneer, and founder, of UConn championship grit.
im pretty sure his given name is Moses.
You tell them @ClifSpliffy!
Reasonable people could argue Caron or Rip on the team they most want to watch. On a college level, Cliff Robinson couldn't carry Donyell Marshall's water.
Cliffy was by far one of best players in UConn college hoops. He may have not had the #’s that Donyell had. Donyell was surrounded by far better players around him where Cliffy was not and he was coached by Don Perno before coach Calhoun molded him into being an NBA player.
So Donyell couldn’t carry Cliffys water or bong water matter of fact.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Is this based on UConn career or total basketball career? Are we leaving out old timers Toby Kimball, Tony Hanson? If it's based on UConn career Ray isn't #1, you have Khalid too high, Donyell too low, Chris Smith way too low, Gordon too low. Jerome Dyson shouldn't be on the list, neither should Jalen Adams and Vital. Replace them with Hasheem, Boone, and Scott Burrell. Hasheem needs to be in the top 15. It's Emeka and Doron.
'Jerome Dyson shouldn't be on the list,'
i let him know that u said this. he wasn't pleased.
maxresdefault.jpg

here's a plane ticket. where u moving to?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cliffy was by far one of best players in UConn college hoops. He may have not had the #’s that Donyell had. Donyell was surrounded by far better players around him where Cliffy was not and he was coached by Don Perno before coach Calhoun molded him into being an NBA player.
So Donyell couldn’t carry Cliffys water or bong water matter of fact.
Not at UConn, he wasn't. He was a massive underachiever at UConn and all-around churl. His transformation into Uncle Cliffy, the ultimate stand-up guy was incredible rivaled only by George Foreman. But he should of been a leader his senior year and he wasn't. There were reasons he dropped into the 2nd round despite all that ability and it wasn't the supporting cast. His backcourt ended up in the NBA.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So, I'll apply my own criteria. UConn play only. Extra credit for playing at least 3 years, recognizing that modern great players will leave early. I'm excluding the ancient history guys before my time (Hanson, Quimby, Kimball...). No particular order but the guys at the top are more obviously on the list.
  • Chris Smith
  • Richard Hamilton
  • Ray Allen
  • Emeka Okafor
  • Donyell Marshall
  • Ben Gordon
  • Caron Butler
  • Corny Thompson
  • Kemba Walker
  • Shabazz Napier
  • Khalid El Amin
  • Cliff Robinson
  • Scott Burrell
  • Rudy Gay
  • Earle Kelley
  • Doron Sheffer
  • Jeff Adrien
  • AJ Price
  • Hasheem Thabeet
  • Marcus Williams

Reaction Score
Not at UConn, he wasn't. He was a massive underachiever at UConn and all-around churl. His transformation into Uncle Cliffy, the ultimate stand-up guy was incredible rivaled only by George Foreman. But he should of been a leader his senior year and he wasn't. There were reasons he dropped into the 2nd round despite all that ability and it wasn't the supporting cast. His backcourt ended up in the NBA.
Cliffy's stats for his 4 years at UConn:

1985 = 5.6 Pts, 3.1 Reb, .05 Ast
1986 = 18.0 Pts, 7.4 Reb, 2.0 Ast
1987 = 17.6 Pts, 6.9 Reb, 1.3 Ast
1988 = 20.0 Pts, 7.4 Reb, 1.5 Ast

Donyell's Stats for his 3 years at UConn:

1991 = 11.1 PTS, 6.1 Reb, 1.5 Ast
1992 = 17.0 Pts, 7.8 Reb, 1.1 Ast
1993 = 25.0 Pts, 8.9 Reb, 1.6 Ast

So really not a big difference between the two of them. IMO, Cliffy dropped in the NBA draft had a lot to do with his dedication to playing hard was in question. This is a quote from a SI article about him and the draft in 1989.

"Come the 1989 NBA draft, the word on Cliff Robinson was not good. The word was that Robinson, then a senior at Connecticut, was the biggest dog since Sgt. McGruff. A hound. The general managers, the scouts, they all agreed that he was talented. But sometimes these drafts become word-driven. And word was, this kid belonged on a leash."

"His backcourt ended up in the NBA." who are you referring to: Phil Gamble, Tate George, Chris Smith? Cliffy ended up in the NBA.

Donyell's back court consisted of: KO, Scott Burrell, Brian Fair, Doron Sheffer and Ray Allen through out his career at UConn.

He certainly was not a 'churl" you say. The meaning for that word has no direct impact regarding Cliffy.

churl
/CHərl/
Learn to pronounce
noun
an impolite and mean-spirited person.
a miser.
a person of low birth; a peasant.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Didn’t we have a guy who once had a 100 point game in high school? The disrespect

Reaction Score
I saw 'em both in person countless times. Yell and it's not close.
Oh! I see you did the eye test like Chief00. By the way I also have seen them both in person many of times.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd probably go something like this:

1. Adama Sanogo
2. RJ Cole
3. Dan Hurley
4. Andre Jackson
5. Jordan Hawkins
6. Isaiah Whaley
7. Luke Murray
8. Akok Akok
9. Jalen Gaffney
10. Tom Moore
11. Tyrese Martin
12. Tyler Polley
13. Kimani Young
14. Rahsool Diggins
15. Samson Johnson
16. Richie Springs
17. Corey Floyd Jr
18. Tripp Doherty
19. James Doran
20. Gavin Roberts

HM: Taliek Brown, Donovan Clingan, Alex Karaban
ridiculous and unrealistic list. Where is Matt Garry????

Reaction Score
I agree Donyell was better in college. He was a dominating force his junior year and the clear 2nd best player in the country to Glen Robinson. Cliff could have been better in college, but the game was a little different. Guys his size didn’t shoot 3’s yet and he was playing center when he was really a big wing/graceful power forward.

I wouldn’t say that Donyell was more talented either. Cliff had legit skills, including ball handling ability, that would be used far differently in today’s game. If Cliff came along today, he’d be modeling his game after Kevin Durant.

Reaction Score
Had a couple of drinks with Uncle Cliffy in Philly night before a game with the Sixers. . Rittenhouse square steak joint at the bar. Totally random encounter. But he had some great stories about his time in Storrs. He certainly didn’t get cheated

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'He was a massive underachiever at UConn and all-around churl.'

jealous much?
no-bootie, or otherwise, from his churlish days at Storrs ever complained aboot their time spent with Cliff. he was a righteous dude, who had a lot of fun at all-the-days of his life. smart man.

what happened after his championship school days ended? he took a job in the pinnacle of his profession, cuz he could, and it fit nicely with his plans for his life.
how'd that work out?
All-Time NBA Career Rank: (that's a long time, no?)
36th defensive win shares.
14th in games played.
61st 3 point fg made.
96th 2 point fg made.
40th fg attempts.
58th fg made.
but wait, there's more! lots more!
80th in ft attempts.
25th in minutes played.
60th in steals.
47th in blocks.
55th in points.
and yes, even his fellow nba workers thought him to be a fun loving guy, who was all business when it was time to clock in.

oops, forgot one of his All-Time NBA Career Rank entries;
10th in personal fouls.
'the pioneer, and founder, of UConn championship grit.'
and he did it all with a smile.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
one of the all-time basketball anomalies is,
how did the guy who ended up 61st for made nba 3's end up with only 30 3 point attempts in his entire four year college career?
'At 6'10", he was the tallest player to make more than 1,000 three-pointers until he was surpassed by Dirk Nowitzki'
now, that's a head scratcher.

(just fer fun:
'Robinson is one of seven players to record 1,300 steals and 1,300 blocked shots in their ABA/NBA career - the others are Kevin Garnett, Julius Erving, Bobby Jones, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson and Ben Wallace.')

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Oh! I see you did the eye test like Chief00. By the way I also have seen them both in person many of times.
Well, if you did the eye test and still came up with Cliff your judgement is suspect. His senior year we should have led us to the dance and came up short. We had just won the NIT and had everyone coming back as well as a top recruit. Maybe it was coaching. It was only JC's 3rd year in the big time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree Donyell was better in college. He was a dominating force his junior year and the clear 2nd best player in the country to Glen Robinson. Cliff could have been better in college, but the game was a little different. Guys his size didn’t shoot 3’s yet and he was playing center when he was really a big wing/graceful power forward.
He wasn't playing center, he told JC he wouldn't. He was a PF.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom