Men - UConn Summer Baseball 2022 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Summer Baseball 2022

Reaction Score

Good to see this. The Cape Cod League playoffs will be starting up in a few weeks, and Cape Cod teams often bring in players from other summer leagues right around that time. Wouldn't surprise me if another baseball Husky or two pop up on a Cape Cod League team roster around that time.

Reaction Score
An update on other UConn players with the Norwich Sea Unicorns.

I don't know with absolute certainty, but I suspect that Ryan Hyde and Curren Larson are both injured and not playing because of said injuries.

Curren Larson pitched in 3 games early on in the Sea Unicorns season, but has not pitched since June 5. He started 2 games for Norwich, including a game on June which I was at. Larson pitched 1 inning, and allowed 1 run. Still, I didn't think he pitched all that badly that game, and at the time I was a bit shocked that he came out after 1 inning. Larson is still with the team, bu has not pitched in a game since that time, which makes me suspect he has some sort of injury. His ERA in the 5 innings he pitched with Norwich is 3.60, which isn't all that bad.

Another Husky off the possible injured list. Curren Larson pitched for the first time since June 5, coming in to pitch the 9th inning where New Britain routed Norwich. Larson gave up 1 run in his 1 inning of work while throwing several pitches to the backstop, one of which was ruled a wild pitch.

Reaction Score

Brady Afthim pitched in 2 games last week, gave up no runs, had 11 strikeouts, and gave up 1 walk and 1 hit. During his time at Sanford this summer, in 6 games he has thrown 17 innings, had 32 strikeouts, and has given 7 hits and 7 walks. He has 2 saves on the summer season so far. He has not given up any runs yet this summer. In 3 games he has gone 3 innings, and he went 5 innings in one game.

Last week, Braden Quinn appeared in 2 games for Danbury, including a start where he went 6 innings. Overall, he pitched 6.1 innings, allowed no runs, had 10 strikeouts, and gave up 5 hits and 2 walks. His ERA on the summer season is now 3.60 in 20 innings.

Reaction Score
Brady Afthim pitched in 2 games last week, gave up no runs, had 11 strikeouts, and gave up 1 walk and 1 hit. During his time at Sanford this summer, in 6 games he has thrown 17 innings, had 32 strikeouts, and has given 7 hits and 7 walks. He has 2 saves on the summer season so far. He has not given up any runs yet this summer. In 3 games he has gone 3 innings, and he went 5 innings in one game.

Reaction Score
Kevin Ferrer continues to provide excellent offense for the Mystic Schooners of the NECBL this summer. So far for the summer he is hitting .415 in 20 games and 82 official at bats, with 2 doubles and 3 homers. Ferrer has also stolen 5 bases and has not been caught stealing. It really helps to stay healthy, something he really hasn't done in his various seasons at UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kevin Ferrer continues to provide excellent offense for the Mystic Schooners of the NECBL this summer. So far for the summer he is hitting .415 in 20 games and 82 official at bats, with 2 doubles and 3 homers. Ferrer has also stolen 5 bases and has not been caught stealing. It really helps to stay healthy, something he really hasn't done in his various seasons at UConn.

From what we've seen the last few years, I have little doubt that if Ferrer plays most days he will be a productive hitter. What we don't know is whether he can stay healthy for a full season.

Of course, what we really don't know is whether the grad school he wants to go to at UConn will accept him so he can keep playing.

Reaction Score
From what we've seen the last few years, I have little doubt that if Ferrer plays most days he will be a productive hitter. What we don't know is whether he can stay healthy for a full season.

Of course, what we really don't know is whether the grad school he wants to go to at UConn will accept him so he can keep playing.

I suspect that Ferrer and Penders are not into lost causes, so I expect that Ferrer has a pretty good chance of getting accepted into his grad school. However, obviously it is not an absolutely sure thing, otherwise it would have been likely that Ferrer would not have entered the transfer portal.

Reaction Score
Gavin Keefe of the New London Day is always good for some interesting college summer ball articles while the season is progressing. This one is about a Mystic Schooner road trip to Martha's Vineyard. Kevin Ferrer gets some mentions in the article.

Reaction Score

At this point it looks like this tweet is not including players in the transfer portal (with the exception of Ferrer, who has said that he would like to return to UConn but it basically hinges on whether or not he is excepted into graduate school in Storrs), whether or not they might be leaving or coming to UConn.

Reaction Score
UConn baseball added Mitchell Pascarella to the previous tweet, who redshirted during the spring season.

Reaction Score
At this point it looks like this tweet is not including players in the transfer portal (with the exception of Ferrer, who has said that he would like to return to UConn but it basically hinges on whether or not he is excepted into graduate school in Storrs), whether or not they might be leaving or coming to UConn.
UConn baseball added Mitchell Pascarella to the previous tweet, who redshirted during the spring season.

Hmmm… Pascarella is still listed in the D1Baseball Transfer Portal.

Reaction Score
Hmmm… Pascarella is still listed in the D1Baseball Transfer Portal.

I was thinking the same thing. There are other UConn players in the NECBL who are also in the Transfer Portal. Makes me wonder if it is just more likely that Pascarella will be back at UConn.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I noticed that live tonight @ 7 is Harwich v. Chatham on NESN. This Thursday is Wareham vs Bourne, also @ 7.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I noticed that live tonight @ 7 is Harwich v. Chatham on NESN. This Thursday is Wareham vs Bourne, also @ 7.
Smith not in for Harwich tonight. Disappointed, as I’m at the game.

Reaction Score
Smith not in for Harwich tonight. Disappointed, as I’m at the game.

One thing I've noticed in following college summer leagues, the regular position players don't necessarily play every night. During the college season, teams play about 4 games a week. Often in the summer leagues, the teams are playing around 6 games a week, so it is rare for anyone to play every game during the summer.

By the way, David Smith so far is hitting .178 in 17 games and 45 at bats this summer for Harwich. Hardly a large baseball statistical sample, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom