Men - UConn Summer Baseball 2022 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Summer Baseball 2022

Reaction Score
Incoming freshman Gavin Greger and redshirt freshman Jackson Petersen are now listed on the New Britain Bees roster.

Jack Petersen is no longer listed on the New Britain Bees roster.

Reaction Score

-> As far as what's ahead this fall for Ferrer, he's unsure right now. He's put his name in the transfer portal but his goal is to return to UConn. He has two years of eligibility remaining. He's looking into graduate school programs.

"I want to (go back to UConn)," Ferrer said. "Hopefully. Don't know yet. We'll see. It's just conversations that I've got to have — with family and coach (Jim) Penders. They want me to come back and I want to go back, so we're just going to work for that to happen." <-

Reaction Score
Seems like similar in the sense that we can only hope Hourigan works his magic. Also sounds like he is a more natural defender. Morton is super fast obviously but doesn’t always get the best reads, whereas Kron is a natural born outfielder with instincts.
Perfect analysis, well done. Morton is a much better hitter. Kron is an elite defender, who isn’t as fast as Morton, but his instincts/athleticism on the bases are elite.

Reaction Score

-> As far as what's ahead this fall for Ferrer, he's unsure right now. He's put his name in the transfer portal but his goal is to return to UConn. He has two years of eligibility remaining. He's looking into graduate school programs.

"I want to (go back to UConn)," Ferrer said. "Hopefully. Don't know yet. We'll see. It's just conversations that I've got to have — with family and coach (Jim) Penders. They want me to come back and I want to go back, so we're just going to work for that to happen." <-

If he returns and rides his hot bat into the fall and spring, he could be finding himself in the middle of the lineup as an outfielder or the DH. I’ve always rooted for the guy through all the injuries so it’s great to see he’s having success

Reaction Score
Perfect analysis, well done. Morton is a much better hitter. Kron is an elite defender, who isn’t as fast as Morton, but his instincts/athleticism on the bases are elite.
Morton by far has the defense in the outfield last year alone if you watched the tourney play his speed has runners not advancing to second and with his Vicious strong arm runners take a small turn around first base. The away announcers talked about it during all tourney play. He’s my choice for centerfield next year .

Reaction Score

An excellent little article. Would love to see Ferrer back with UConn baseball, his bat is potentially a big help if he is able to stay healthy. Here is another quote from the above story:

Now, Ferrer is looking to take advantage of his summer baseball season. He's working on improving his outfield defense and speed. So far, he's thrown the ball well and made two diving catches.
He's mostly playing left field and batting in the top four in the order.
"Offensively, we're struggling," said Orbe, referring to Mystic's .208 team batting average. "We're trying to figure out the best combinations. He has batted anywhere from first to fourth. ... He's been our most consistent at-bat. He's not walking a heck of a lot but he's putting together a lot of really, really good at-bats, which is what we're trying to get."

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I've been watching Drew Kron play for Norwich of the Futures League this summer. For someone who is coming out of high school playing in a college summer league for the first time, he is certainly doing okay so far. Love his defense in the outfield, no question, it is certainly his best attribute. Offensively he is doing okay. He has shown some improvement over the course of the season. At the beginning of the season, he was batting 9th in the batting order. Of late he has been the lead off hitter for Norwich when he plays. While Morton is certainly the better overall athlete and hitter at this point (have to remember that Morton is 2 years worth of experience at UConn, while Keon has none as an incoming freshman), they both share the same general weakness at the plate. Both strikeout too much for my taste, and each need to develop a better eye for the strike zone in order to get more walks (although I will say I think Kron has improved some in terms of this as the summer season has progressed). Next season for UConn Kron could be a valuable player off the bench. We'll have to wait and see if he develops into someone who can become a regular in the lineup.

It's funny, when Morton was at Norwich last season he would drive me a bit crazy at his wild swings at pitches, whether they were in or out of the strike zone. At times I was just hoping he would settle for making contact with the ball to take advantage of his speed. Whatever the case of what happened last summer, Morton towards the end of his time in Norwich and during his time at UConn last season has shown he has quite the power/speed package to his game, which was shown when he was named All Big East after last season even though he was hurt for a period of time. Really looking forward to see what improvements he adds to his game next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At very least kron can be a late Inning defensive replacement. Hourigan I’m sure will cut down on that swing and preach patience and discipline. The fact that he is getting as much burn as he is seems like it is a good sign given his youth…

Keep the updates coming @dbmill

Reaction Score
Bobby McBride is currently in the transfer portal, so it is very possible he won't be with UConn baseball next season. Out of curiosity I did a quick search on his name, and found he is playing this summer with the Savannah Bananas of the Coastal Plain League. By the way, the Savannah Bananas put a big emphasis of on entertainment at their games with all sorts of oddball promotions.

Reaction Score
Bobby McBride is currently in the transfer portal, so it is very possible he won't be with UConn baseball next season. Out of curiosity I did a quick search on his name, and found he is playing this summer with the Savannah Bananas of the Coastal Plain League. By the way, the Savannah Bananas put a big emphasis of on entertainment at their games with all sorts of oddball promotions.
I saw one of their viral videos and looked up the roster just now out of curiosity. A decent amount of D-I guys, some listed from schools like Auburn, VA Tech, Richmond, Wofford, and then what I would assume are a lot of D-II and JuCo players. And amongst all that, I was tickled to see a “UConn” player listed there. I came here to post as much (even though I remembered you earlier mentioning McBride was in the portal) but see I’m beaten to it.

Not sure how good the CPL is (I imagine it’s at least a step, if not several, down from the Cape, NECBL, or even Northwoods?) but man, the players know how to have fun!

Reaction Score
An update on other UConn players with the Norwich Sea Unicorns.

I don't know with absolute certainty, but I suspect that Ryan Hyde and Curren Larson are both injured and not playing because of said injuries.

Curren Larson pitched in 3 games early on in the Sea Unicorns season, but has not pitched since June 5. He started 2 games for Norwich, including a game on June which I was at. Larson pitched 1 inning, and allowed 1 run. Still, I didn't think he pitched all that badly that game, and at the time I was a bit shocked that he came out after 1 inning. Larson is still with the team, bu has not pitched in a game since that time, which makes me suspect he has some sort of injury. His ERA in the 5 innings he pitched with Norwich is 3.60, which isn't all that bad.

When Ryan Hyde joined the team after UConn's loss to Stanford, Hyde quickly became one of the two main catchers that were being used on the team. I was at the game on June 28, where Ryan Hyde was the starting catcher. I did not see what happened, but during one inning where Hyde was catching, he was taken out of the game after a strikeout for the first out. I did not see what happened, but I'm guessing Hyde might have got hit by a foul tip just before he came out of the game. Hyde is still with the team, but he has not played since that game.

As mentioned before, Jackson Ferrigno is currently in the transfer portal, and I expect that he will not be back with UConn in the fall, but as always, we'll see what happens. Ferrigno has been playing pretty regularly, mainly at 3B and SS, with the very occasional appearance at 2B. I've taking a bit of a liking to him. Ferrigno is currently hitting for a decent average, .267. He is tied for the team lead in doubles (7), and leads the team with 4 triples. He also has his fair share of walks and hit by pitches, which brings his on base percentage to .367. Not bad after redshirting this season with UConn baseball.

Reaction Score
I saw one of their viral videos and looked up the roster just now out of curiosity. A decent amount of D-I guys, some listed from schools like Auburn, VA Tech, Richmond, Wofford, and then what I would assume are a lot of D-II and JuCo players. And amongst all that, I was tickled to see a “UConn” player listed there. I came here to post as much (even though I remembered you earlier mentioning McBride was in the portal) but see I’m beaten to it.

Not sure how good the CPL is (I imagine it’s at least a step, if not several, down from the Cape, NECBL, or even Northwoods?) but man, the players know how to have fun!

Can't say where the Coastal Plain League ranks with other summer leagues. The occasional UConn player does end up playing in this league, just not every summer. I believe Erik Stock and Dave Smith played in this league last summer. There have been others as well.

Reaction Score
Knowing my interest in all things UConn baseball, a friend of mine tipped me off to an article in the Woonsocket Call newspaper about UConn picking a Grad transfer from Brown, LHP Zach Fogell:

Fogell is playing this summer for Vermont of the Futures League.

Reaction Score
Incoming UConn freshman RHP Ryan Vandewater is playing for the Beekman Gamers of the Hudson Valley Collegiate Baseball League this summer. Nice start to his summer season, so far he has pitched in 5 games, 10.1 innings, and has a 0.67 ERA. 16 strikeouts, 7 walks, and 5 hits given up.

Reaction Score
An update on other UConn players with the Norwich Sea Unicorns.

I don't know with absolute certainty, but I suspect that Ryan Hyde and Curren Larson are both injured and not playing because of said injuries.

Curren Larson pitched in 3 games early on in the Sea Unicorns season, but has not pitched since June 5. He started 2 games for Norwich, including a game on June which I was at. Larson pitched 1 inning, and allowed 1 run. Still, I didn't think he pitched all that badly that game, and at the time I was a bit shocked that he came out after 1 inning. Larson is still with the team, bu has not pitched in a game since that time, which makes me suspect he has some sort of injury. His ERA in the 5 innings he pitched with Norwich is 3.60, which isn't all that bad.

When Ryan Hyde joined the team after UConn's loss to Stanford, Hyde quickly became one of the two main catchers that were being used on the team. I was at the game on June 28, where Ryan Hyde was the starting catcher. I did not see what happened, but during one inning where Hyde was catching, he was taken out of the game after a strikeout for the first out. I did not see what happened, but I'm guessing Hyde might have got hit by a foul tip just before he came out of the game. Hyde is still with the team, but he has not played since that game.

As mentioned before, Jackson Ferrigno is currently in the transfer portal, and I expect that he will not be back with UConn in the fall, but as always, we'll see what happens. Ferrigno has been playing pretty regularly, mainly at 3B and SS, with the very occasional appearance at 2B. I've taking a bit of a liking to him. Ferrigno is currently hitting for a decent average, .267. He is tied for the team lead in doubles (7), and leads the team with 4 triples. He also has his fair share of walks and hit by pitches, which brings his on base percentage to .367. Not bad after redshirting this season with UConn baseball.

Ryan Hyde apparently has recovered from the injury that I suspected he had, as he started at catcher in tonights game for Norwich. He's having a good game at the plate as well, with 2 hits (including a double) and a walk.

Reaction Score
Watching Justin Willis toe the rubber for Bourne….
196A08B0-5F69-466A-8F69-4877F7898CC7.jpeg

Reaction Score
The New Britain Bees are going to be playing a couple games this weekend at Norwich, so I figured it would be a good time to check how Ryan Daniels of the Bees is doing, especially since I plan to attend both these games. Daniels is off to a nice start with the Bees, hitting .333 in 27 at bats. In his 8 games played he has been getting fairly regular playing time in the infield and at D.H. in his 8 games played since late June. In his 27 at bats he has a couple of doubles and a home run. Daniels also has 4 walks and 7 stolen bases (he hasn't been caught stealing yet). 27 at bats is not exactly a big statistical base to work off of, but it is still nice to see a future UConn player getting off to a nice start in college summer ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom