UConn Power Conference Profile - A Long Look at the Numbers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Power Conference Profile - A Long Look at the Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Incredible post. Thank you! I only hope that Uconn brass has a similar document they are passing to potential conferences.

N

Nutmeg

If the Big 12 thinks "big", they add 4; UConn, BYU, Cincinnati and Temple (good market potential, academics are ranked 94 according to USN&WR). Adding those schools would be compelling for the establishment of a Big 12 network.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Nice job!

I saw a breakdown of alumni by state on the UCONN foundation site, on phone else I would link it.

THANK YOU! Found it. http://www.foundation.uconn.edu/2015/12/08/the-fy15-uconn-foundation-annual-report/

On Pages 10-11 it breaks down alumni by state. From the report, all 50 states have UConn alumni. The highest populated alumni states include:

Connecticut - 132,000+
New York - 11,000-17,999
Massachusetts - 11,000-17,999
New Jersey - 6,000-8,999
Delaware - 6,000-8,999
California - 6,000-8,999
Florida - 6,000-8,999
New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, - 3,500-5,999 each
North Carolina, Georgia, Texas - 2,000-3,499

From that breakdown, it appears that the majority of UConn alumni live in the densest populated portion of the country - between New Jersey and Massachusetts (no surprise). What is equally as impressive is how many alumni live in Florida and California. And kudos to those Texas alumni who have enjoyed watching their Huskies win 3 national championships in their state!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Incredible post. Thank you! I only hope that Uconn brass has a similar document they are passing to potential conferences.

I'm sure they do. This is meant for us and anyone who wants to run with any of it for whatever reason.

Reaction Score
Nice job!

I saw a breakdown of alumni by state on the UCONN foundation site, on phone else I would link it.

I saw that too; but, only in a hard copy. Can't find an electronic copy. Overall, I showed a good number of Alumni stretching from Northern VA up through Metro Boston with other smaller pockets in Raleigh, Chicago, Houston, and the SF Bay area.

Reaction Score
Assuming you don't attach the part about the B1G being the best fit, is there a way for you to E-Mail this to the Big12 presidents? Or spread it somehow? Phenomenal work!
Send this by email, tweet, Facebook, registered mail, pony express, drone strike if possible to every B1G, ACC, B12 conference commissioner and school president.

Reaction Score
Our profile has improved tremendously since the last round of realignment.

The men's basketball program has won another championship and Ollie has proven to be a top 20, if not top 10, coach in college basketball. We have lots of new facilities built or soon to be built. An ice hockey team that is already a top 25 program and trending up. Much more research activity and overall improved academics in basically every way. More alumni graduating each year. A football team that is trending up and a firm commitment from the athletic department to support it.

It's amazing how much has happened in just 2-3 years.

Reaction Score
Great work Dooley! I would feel confident if we send Dooley as our chief presenter if we need to do presentations for P5 conferences. We should tweet this info to anyone and everyone that might have a say in conference realignment. Next step is make a list of email addresses/twitter accounts that UCONN fans can contact and send them this link.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Awesome write-up Dooley. In my profession this is known as a highly re-usable, digital asset; emphases on the words re-usable and asset. This gets my vote for the most important BY post I've read since first logging on back in 2009.

Reaction Score
The crazy web people around here need to post that info in all the most important places, like the Texas and OK boards, so their beat writers see it. Tweet out bits and pieces consistently so people continue to be exposed to it.

Reaction Score
I sent the report to Baylor, Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma. I couldn't find WVU's athletic director email so I didn't sent it to them. Lets hope they read it!

Edit: I sent it to their school presidents, athletic directors, and people who work in the athletic directors offices so someone will definitely see it.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I sent the report to Baylor, Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma. I couldn't find WVU's athletic director email so I didn't sent it to them. Lets hope they read it!

Edit: I sent it to their school presidents, athletic directors, and people who work in the athletic directors offices so someone will definitely see it.
Post their emails here!

Reaction Score
Post their emails here!
chancellor@ku.edu
kuathletics@ku.edu
ad@athletics.utexas.edu
president@utexas.edu
cp@utexas.edu
tthompson@ou.edu
jmeeks@ou.edu
heath_nielson@baylor.edu,
julie_bennett@bayor.edu,
david_kaye@baylor.edu,
zach_peters@baylor.edu
nicholas_joos@baylor.edu

If you look around on the school websites you can send it to more of them. But these were the easiest emails to find just by looking on their websites

I sent them from my @uconn.edu email as well so hopefully that will resonate more than a regular email haha

Reaction Score
chancellor@ku.edu
kuathletics@ku.edu
ad@athletics.utexas.edu
president@utexas.edu
cp@utexas.edu
tthompson@ou.edu
jmeeks@ou.edu
heath_nielson@baylor.edu,
julie_bennett@bayor.edu,
david_kaye@baylor.edu,
zach_peters@baylor.edu
nicholas_joos@baylor.edu

If you look around on the school websites you can send it to more of them. But these were the easiest emails to find just by looking on their websites

I sent them from my email as well so hopefully that will resonate more than a regular email haha

Would it surprise you if UConn has already presented this information to every P5 league? If they have not, an email campaign is not going to help. Actually, it won't help either way. I do agree that flooding message boards is the way to go though.

Reaction Score
Would it surprise you if UConn has already presented this information to every P5 league? If they have not, an email campaign is not going to help. Actually, it won't help either way. I do agree that flooding message boards is the way to go though.
how would flooding message boards for these teams have any impact? Fans are not calling the shots here. Athletic directors and school presidents are. If fans were able to decide this then we would be in the ACC already. I know it probably won't help but it won't hurt either. Its better than sitting back and doing nothing while we probably get passed over again for Houston/BYU

Reaction Score
how would flooding message boards for these teams have any impact? Fans are not calling the shots here. Athletic directors and school presidents are. If fans were able to decide this then we would be in the ACC already. I know it probably won't help but it won't hurt either. Its better than sitting back and doing nothing while we probably get passed over again for Houston/BYU

It was not I who said to do that. I think it's a waste of time.

Reaction Score
The numbers you are missing at this point are TV ratings for Uconn versus the competition. While the potential household number is impressive, what are the actual ratings Uconn has achieved? Secondarily, what have the national TV numbers been versus the competing schools? Also, historically, what kind of ratings has CFB for the various conferences generated within the potential household markets?

I have searched for some of these but the best you come up with is not worthwhile and certainly not comprehensive enough to analyze (and don't help Uconn at all). Someone with inside access to media should be able to grab those numbers. These are the numbers that will drive expansion. Who adds the most real viewers. Who enhances the current ratings in the new markets the most. These are followed by, can I screw the conference more by adding this team or that team.

I think the potential eyeballs card played very well by RU with B1G may have been a 1 time shot.

Reaction Score
Great piece, and after I pen you this note, I intend to read it again more closely.

Just wanted to add that the Albany TV market could be added to your listing. I an in Schenectady and make the trek to Rentschler in about two hours, and the XL Center in under two hours. Syracuse is roughly the same distance as Hartford. We get all the TV feeds on UConn games and the UConn women have an enormous following here. The great crowd which the Husky women drew in April to the Albany Regionals included thousands of local fans.

We are close to l million people in the two hour traveling range to Hartford. I am sure SU includes our area in their viewing range, and they certainly have a considerable fan base here. But the fact is Albany is equidistant to both cities.

Reaction Score
The numbers you are missing at this point are TV ratings for Uconn versus the competition. While the potential household number is impressive, what are the actual ratings Uconn has achieved? Secondarily, what have the national TV numbers been versus the competing schools? Also, historically, what kind of ratings has CFB for the various conferences generated within the potential household markets?

I have searched for some of these but the best you come up with is not worthwhile and certainly not comprehensive enough to analyze (and don't help Uconn at all). Someone with inside access to media should be able to grab those numbers. These are the numbers that will drive expansion. Who adds the most real viewers. Who enhances the current ratings in the new markets the most. These are followed by, can I screw the conference more by adding this team or that team.

I think the potential eyeballs card played very well by RU with B1G may have been a 1 time shot.

It's not what their ratings have been, it's what they could be vs Big 12 competition. Texas, OK Baylor, TCU etc would get more fringe UConn fans watching them then vs AAC competition.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Remember, it's not just how many eyeballs UConn can bring in a vacuum. It's how many eyeballs can they gain by delivering all of their content to this region - someone in Enfield watching Texas-Oklahoma counts just as much. It's making their total pie bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom