UConn Power Conference Profile - A Long Look at the Numbers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Power Conference Profile - A Long Look at the Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey Dooley, my friend just sent me this email back. I XXX'ed out the name of his contact.

"Hey buddy, this is impressive stuff. I sent this to (I'm almost certain you met him at a game here in Austin). He is very tight with Chip and is the best portal of entry. He'll see it makes the rounds to AD Perrin and Prez. Fenves. He's an engineer who loves STEM. Horns and Huskies. I like the way that sounds!"

I've been to several baseball, basketball and football games with him in Austin. I saw Ricky Williams score 5 TD's vs Rice. And several UT baseball games. That's big time down there. I remember going to a UConn v UT basketball game in Austin in 2001 when Caron Butler and Taliek Brown were Freshmen. He and his wife came up to Gampel to see UConn v UT with my wife and me a few years ago.

He'll get this disseminated. Can't hurt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very cool read. Like to see endowment added to the academics portion, see that thrown around a lot in CR talk.

Reaction Score
Very cool read. Like to see endowment added to the academics portion, see that thrown around a lot in CR talk.

As a flagship state university, UConn has the equivalent of a multi-billion dollar endowment. That won't mean much compared to Texas, but not many private schools can compare favorably.

Reaction Score
As a flagship state university, UConn has the equivalent of a multi-billion dollar endowment. That won't mean much compared to Texas, but not many private schools can compare favorably.

Texas' isn't ordinary, it's 2nd or 3rd best in the country. I'd guess most B12 teams are between 500M and 1.5B.

Reaction Score
Well done. THis is great to throw around as well:
(A recent market study of the Hartford Market done by Stafford Sports. Lots about UConn. Pages 45-98

http://www.courant.com/real-estate/hc-pdf-hartford-stadium-study-20150219-htmlstory.html

^^^Better to be seen on a PC

STAFFORD SPORTS
Stafford Sports is an independent, nationally recognized company that provides expert consulting and advisory services for sports, entertainment and public assembly venues. Stafford’s Principals have conducted market studies that have led to the successful development of high-profile arenas including the AT&T Center, BB&T Center, Cedar Park Center, Intrust Bank Arena, Moda Center, Oracle Arena, Quicken Loans Arena and the Wells Fargo Center.

Doozies like:
635,000 people aged 20-59 (prime ticket buying age) within 30 minutes of XL
1,600,000 people aged 20-59 within 60 minutes of XL
172,000(35%) within 30 miles makes >100k
416,000(33%) within 60 miles makes >100k
16 Fortune 500 companies in CT
Lots of others….

Page 72 on talks a little more about UConn and other major arenas hosting college sports

I'm sure there is some more info in there you can add…

Reaction Score
I posted a link on shaggytexas.
http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/108844-Realignment-talk-not-going-away/page987

I'll be interested to see what they say.

Here are two things to note from the immediate responses:
1) Saying UConn has 4 national championships in basketball and football might be a bit misleading.
2) The folks in Texas probably don't understand that CT and NYC share a culture in a way that, say, Philadelphia and NYC do not share a culture. Focusing on distance from NYC leaves that fact out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just to add a couple more numbers: The UConn-Depaul women's basketball game was the third highest rated CBB game so far this season on FS1. The audience was almost 2.5 times greater than the average Big East men's game. And I don't think they were tuning in to see Depaul.

Reaction Score
Here are some B12 and rumored expansion candidate numbers of NFL, NBA, and MLB draft picks from 2005 to 2015:

NFL Draft Picks from 2005 to 2015:

57 Oklahoma
41 Texas
24 TCU
23 UConn
23 West Virginia
22 Baylor
22 Cincinnati
17 Oklahoma St.
16 USF
15 Kansas St.
15 Texas Tech
14 UCF
12 BYU
10 Iowa St.
9 Kansas
7 Temple
6 Houston
6 Memphis

NBA Draft Picks from 2005 to 2015:

18 Kansas
14 UConn
10 Texas
9 Memphis
6 Baylor
5 Oklahoma
5 Oklahoma St.
3 Iowa St.
3 West Virginia
3 Cincinnati
2 Temple
2 USF
1 KSU
1 BYU
1 UCF
0 TCU
0 Texas Tech
0 Houston

MLB Draft Picks from 2005 to 2015:

71 Oklahoma
71 Oklahoma St.
65 Texas
62 TCU
55 Texas Tech
49 Baylor
47 Kansas
42 Houston
38 Kansas St.
38 UCF
35 UConn
34 USF
27 West Virginia
26 BYU
21 Memphis
19 Cincinnati
4 Temple
0 Iowa St. (Dropped after 2001)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here are some B12 and rumored expansion candidate numbers of NFL, NBA, and MLB draft picks from 2005 to 2015:

57 Oklahoma
41 Texas
24 TCU
23 UConn
23 West Virginia
22 Baylor
22 Cincinnati
17 Oklahoma St.
16 USF
15 Kansas St.
15 Texas Tech
14 UCF
12 BYU
10 Iowa St.
9 Kansas
7 Temple
6 Houston
6 Memphis

18 Kansas
14 UConn
10 Texas
9 Memphis
6 Baylor
5 Oklahoma
5 Oklahoma St.
3 Iowa St.
3 West Virginia
3 Cincinnati
2 Temple
2 USF
1 KSU
1 BYU
1 UCF
0 TCU
0 Texas Tech
0 Houston

71 Oklahoma
71 Oklahoma St.
65 Texas
62 TCU
55 Texas Tech
49 Baylor
47 Kansas
42 Houston
38 Kansas St.
38 UCF
35 UConn
34 USF
27 West Virginia
26 BYU
21 Memphis
19 Cincinnati
4 Temple

That football number should really open some eyes. Basketball I think is as expected.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
One person posted this:

"The thing with UCONN is they will always be there. BC has come out and said they do not want to be the same conference as UCONN, so unless B1G wants them they will not be taken."

I guess they didn't learn from Louisville.

And I think there has been a detente between BC and UConn. Old perceptions die hard. That is why in the public relations game perception is more important than reality.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No doubt in my mind that BCU has pulled out the beads and are working the big guy hard to keep us out. If get into the Big 12, they are done.

Reaction Score
No doubt in my mind that BCU has pulled out the beads and are working the big guy hard to keep us out. If get into the Big 12, they are done.

I am not a BC fan; but, I disagree to a certain level.

No matter UConn's fate, BC will also have Boston (remember some locals in Boston don't think life exists outside of I-495) and been seen as the alternate major Catholic college sports brand after ND.

UConn joining the XII (or B1G) would have a greater impact on Syracuse. While Syracuse has more football 'history' than UConn, has more basketball titles while proving to be successful on the court after the school's HoF coach retires, and UConn is 100 miles closer to Times Square than Syracuse regardless of what Syracuse's marketing says. UConn playing Texas in MetLife (Rutgers playing Ohio State and Michigan in Jersey is not helping the Orange either) and Oklahoma and Kansas at MSG takes away NYC away from Syracuse and without NYC, Syracuse is nothing.

Allowing UConn to join the XII also makes it a 3 way fight for the country's largest and most important TV market between the ACC (Syracuse & ND primarily), B1G (Rutgers & Penn St), and the XII (UConn). Both the ACC and B1G have stated that their goal is to won the NYC market. I can't see how they take the potential entry of the XII into NYC laying down.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

No matter UConn's fate, BC will also have Boston (remember some locals in Boston don't think life exists outside of I-495) and been seen as the alternate major Catholic college sports brand after ND.

UConn joining the XII (or B1G) would have a greater impact on Syracuse. While Syracuse has more football 'history' than UConn, has more basketball titles while proving to be successful on the court after the school's HoF coach retires, and UConn is 100 miles closer to Times Square than Syracuse regardless of what Syracuse's marketing says. UConn playing Texas in MetLife (Rutgers playing Ohio State and Michigan in Jersey is not helping the Orange either) and Oklahoma and Kansas at MSG takes away NYC away from Syracuse and without NYC, Syracuse is nothing.

Allowing UConn to join the XII also makes it a 3 way fight for the country's largest and most important TV market between the ACC (Syracuse & ND primarily), B1G (Rutgers & Penn St), and the XII (UConn). Both the ACC and B1G have stated that their goal is to won the NYC market. I can't see how they take the potential entry of the XII into NYC laying down.
One of the big advantages to the B12 invite for UConn would be that it puts UConn on a level field with Cuse and BC from a conference standpoint. That further damages their recruiting as they can't use our conference against us. It would get us marginally better interest in Boston, substantially better interest in CT, and a shade above the Boston uptick in NYC.

Reaction Score
From UCONN Alumni fb page. FB_IMG_1452045212707.jpg

Reaction Score

As a Boston resident of several years, I can promise you that BC resonates with no one here. Take a gander at their basketball attendance this year if you don't believe me. They must have the least local interest of any school in the P5.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Here are two things to note from the immediate responses:
1) Saying UConn has 4 national championships in basketball and football might be a bit misleading.
2) The folks in Texas probably don't understand that CT and NYC share a culture in a way that, say, Philadelphia and NYC do not share a culture. Focusing on distance from NYC leaves that fact out.

this times 10000x

when I came to UConn from North Carolina I was shocked that the entire southern section of Connecticut basically considers itself a NYC suburb. Still is bizarre to me to this day

Reaction Score
As a Boston resident of several years, I can promise you that BC resonates with no one here. Take a gander at their basketball attendance this year if you don't believe me. They must have the least local interest of any school in the P5.

100% true. There is a small number of diehard BC fans that are alumni or related to alumni. That is their total fan base. UConn has many times the number of fans.

Reaction Score

I lived in Boston myself and can attest that outside of BC's own lukewarm alumni base and some die-hard local Catholics (oddly enough, I know a lot of die-hard BC fans who went to Stonehill, St. Anslem & St. Micheal's and not BC), BC's fanbase is small. Still, that is more than Syracuse has.

PS - Boston is the 7th largest TV market whereas Syracuse is the 81st largest. Thus, BC's 5% market share in Boston is a lot bigger than the Fruit's 50% market share in Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I lived in Boston myself and can attest that outside of BC's own lukewarm alumni base and some die-hard local Catholics (oddly enough, I know a lot of die-hard BC fans who went to Stonehill, St. Anslem & St. Micheal's and not BC), BC's fanbase is small. Still, that is more than Syracuse has.

PS - Boston is the 7th largest TV market whereas Syracuse is the 81st largest. Thus, BC's 5% market share in Boston is a lot bigger than the Fruit's 50% market share in Syracuse.

I think 5% is high. I don't think 1 of 20 people in Boston follow BC at all. I know 0 BC fans.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

57 Oklahoma
41 Texas
24 TCU
23 UConn
23 West Virginia
22 Baylor
22 Cincinnati
17 Oklahoma St.
16 USF
15 Kansas St.
15 Texas Tech
14 UCF
12 BYU
10 Iowa St.
9 Kansas
7 Temple
6 Houston
6 Memphis

18 Kansas
14 UConn
10 Texas
9 Memphis
6 Baylor
5 Oklahoma
5 Oklahoma St.
3 Iowa St.
3 West Virginia
3 Cincinnati
2 Temple
2 USF
1 KSU
1 BYU
1 UCF
0 TCU
0 Texas Tech
0 Houston

71 Oklahoma
71 Oklahoma St.
65 Texas
62 TCU
55 Texas Tech
49 Baylor
47 Kansas
42 Houston
38 Kansas St.
38 UCF
35 UConn
34 USF
27 West Virginia
26 BYU
21 Memphis
19 Cincinnati
4 Temple

LOVE this. Thanks for adding!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
LOVE this. Thanks for adding!
I suggest that you, or a moderator, add this info to the original post to make it easier to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom