UConn Podcast: Leaving Games Early Debate | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Podcast: Leaving Games Early Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The one where you just STFU and don't be a ?

First - that was directed at Nostical. I quoted your quote of him.

Second - its not really a dig. If you have "connections" to the team you will feel differently than if you don't. Nostical clearly talks to players / families, so what else could his talk track be? Would any band parent go on the BY and say who cares about the band?

Third - why you mad bro?

Lastly - since I'm clearly not a fan under Nostical's definition - maybe he should pony up for Butch's tickets next year. I'm not worthy. LMAO.

Reaction Score
Are we allowed to go to the bathroom during the game or is disrepectful to avert your gaze for a single second?

You're talking about going to the bathroom and averting your gaze in the same post. Not a good look.

Reaction Score
Amateur!!!

diagram.jpg

Remember old Sullivan Stadium when fans used to just pee in the stands rather than miss a play?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Remember old Sullivan Stadium when fans used to just pee in the stands rather than miss a play?

That's because the toilets flushed up. If you're going to get pi$$ on your feet anyway, might as well be your own and watch the game in the process.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You have clearly defined 'fan' differently than everyone else. Your analogies are only 'valid' to you.
I don't know Whaler, I think he points out an interesting distinction. A consumer merely consumes. That's the movie analogy. You pay your money and you can view as long as you'd like. If you are not pleased with the product you leave; you cease consuming. A fan on the other hand is a "fanatic," personally vested in the team. He doesn't view the the players on the field as providing a product that he can consume or not as he sees fit. He identifies with them, is ecstatic when they win and suffers when they lose. There's a difference.

Now, that said, I 100% agree with the point that it is kind of silly to be critical of people that are buying tickets and supporting the team while we are struggling to fill stadium and that "consumers" of the team are as valuable, if less passionate, than the "fans" of the team.

Reaction Score
I don't know Whaler, I think he points out an interesting distinction. A consumer merely consumes. That's the movie analogy. You pay your money and you can view as long as you'd like. If you are not pleased with the product you leave; you cease consuming. A fan on the other hand is a "fanatic," personally vested in the team. He doesn't view the the players on the field as providing a product that he can consume or not as he sees fit. He identifies with them, is ecstatic when they win and suffers when they lose. There's a difference.

Now, that said, I 100% agree with the point that it is kind of silly to be critical of people that are buying tickets and supporting the team while we are struggling to fill stadium and that "consumers" of the team are as valuable, if less passionate, than the "fans" of the team.

You can do all of that without being in the stands for 100% of the snaps. Maybe Dale should consider everyone who doesn't travel to away games and paint themselves a non-fan.

I skipped the SMU game last year. The weather was bad and the team was terrible. OTOH, I nearly froze to death and waited until the final whistle during the UCF game last year, because if THEY were going to fight that hard in conditions *I* could certainly tough it out.

I travel to Lambeau 2-3 times a year. I go there in January (by myself generally - at great expense) to stand there in -6 degree weather during playoff games. I go to Wisconsin in the summer to play in Packer charity golf tournaments. Am I not a true fan because I decided to beat the traffic at Mile High last weekend when they fell behind 29-10?

There is a line between good fans and bad fans. Where Nostical is drawing the line is two standard deviations from where the line really ought to be.

Reaction Score
You can do all of that without being in the stands for 100% of the snaps. Maybe Dale should consider everyone who doesn't travel to away games and paint themselves a non-fan.

I skipped the SMU game last year. The weather was bad and the team was terrible. OTOH, I nearly froze to death and waited until the final whistle during the UCF game last year, because if THEY were going to fight that hard in ty conditions *I* could certainly tough it out.

I travel to Lambeau 2-3 times a year. I go there in January (by myself generally - at great expense) to stand there in -6 degree weather during playoff games. I go to Wisconsin in the summer to play in Packer charity golf tournaments. Am I not a true fan because I decided to beat the traffic at Mile High last weekend when they fell behind 29-10?

There is a line between good fans and bad fans. Where Nostical is drawing the line is two standard deviations from where the line really ought to be.

What a non fan you are. I had to explain to my son why SMU was having so much g-damn trouble running the Victory Formation last year.

<pats self on back>

Reaction Score
In a 100% perfect fandom world, there would be no distractions for everyone in the stands outside of the stadium. The fact of the matter is life happens and not everyone is going to be able to stay til the clock hits 0:00 in fourth quarter. I have been to one game since 2012 (last year of season tickets) because I decided that I want to pay off my student loans in 5 years and buy a condo this year, so I picked up a second job back then and worked 7 days a week since. Does that make me any less of a fan than the season ticket holders staying to sing the Alma Mater at every home game? No it doesn't. You can argue maybe I'm less dedicated at this point, but I have not missed any game since 2003 when I first walked on the field with the UCMB opening day of the Rent. At the end of the day it was priorities for me. I'd much rather be debt free in the next couple years (allowing to me to upgrade to chair backs and get closer to the field) then to be a season ticket holder and forever owe to the banks.

Reaction Score

Why do we need to label fans? I don't enjoy marching bands, so before the game and at halftime, I'm hitting the john and getting some beers. Even as an alum, I wouldn't stay to sing the alma mater if you paid me too. Yet there I was, explaining to my kid that the reason SMU couldn't execute the V formation was that they didn't do it all year long. J$ buys tickets for fans who can't afford them. Guys like that don't deserve to be told they are consumers and not fans.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I've mentioned this before but I had basketball and football season tickets for 8 years when I lived in CT and then kept football 2 more years when I was in NYC.

Cancelled them before this season, because it was taking me 4 hours to get to the game and then another 4 back and the P Era and Season 1 of Diaco just wore me out as a "fan".

Glad the program is back on the rise and given that and the improved schedule I think I'll be in again next year for season tickets even if I can only go to a handful of games.

Lastly, can someone provide me with a radius of where you can live outside of the Rent and still be a "true" fan if you don't go to the games? Much appreciated.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I skipped the SMU game last year. The weather was bad and the team was terrible. OTOH, I nearly froze to death and waited until the final whistle during the UCF game last year, because if THEY were going to fight that hard in ty conditions *I* could certainly tough it out.

Why do we need to label fans? I don't enjoy marching bands, so before the game and at halftime, I'm hitting the john and getting some beers. Even as an alum, I wouldn't stay to sing the alma mater if you paid me too. Yet there I was, explaining to my kid that the reason SMU couldn't execute the V formation was that they didn't do it all year long. J$ buys tickets for fans who can't afford them. Guys like that don't deserve to be told they are consumers and not fans.

I don't disagree. My point was that I understand the distinction he was making. I agree, as I noted in my post, that the ranking of fans is a silly exercise. There will always be people more and less invested in the programs than you. Unless you are Dale, of course...

Reaction Score
In a 100% perfect fandom world, there would be no distractions for everyone in the stands outside of the stadium. The fact of the matter is life happens and not everyone is going to be able to stay til the clock hits 0:00 in fourth quarter. I have been to one game since 2012 (last year of season tickets) because I decided that I want to pay off my student loans in 5 years and buy a condo this year, so I picked up a second job back then and worked 7 days a week since. Does that make me any less of a fan than the season ticket holders staying to sing the Alma Mater at every home game? No it doesn't. You can argue maybe I'm less dedicated at this point, but I have not missed any game since 2003 when I first walked on the field with the UCMB opening day of the Rent. At the end of the day it was priorities for me. I'd much rather be debt free in the next couple years (allowing to me to upgrade to chair backs and get closer to the field) then to be a season ticket holder and forever owe to the banks.

Maybe if you sold your TV and stopped watching Doctor Who you would be out of debt sooner and you'd already be a season ticket holder. Clearly your priorities are clearly out of whack. ;)

Reaction Score

I can see your point on consumer vs. fan, however I wonder if the complete commoditization of sports (“amateur” college included) has really obliterated that distinction and now the two are forever merged together.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I guess there could be a distinction between fan and consumer but it can't possibly be made at 'never leaves stadium unless there is an emergency'.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What a non fan you are. I had to explain to my son why SMU was having so much g-damn trouble running the Victory Formation last year.

Truly hilarious moment in Rentschler Field history. I would have laughed if I wasn't so busy crying that we were going to lose to friggin' SMU.

Reaction Score
I guess there could be a distinction between fan and consumer but it can't possibly be made at 'never leaves stadium unless there is an emergency'.

I agree. I am far past the entire conversation, and also completely resent the "fan police" who dare to yell at patrons as they leave, question other's fandom, etc.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I agree. I am far past the entire conversation, and also completely resent the "fan police" who dare to yell at patrons as they leave, question other's fandom, etc.
What yelling? A "true fan" will let you know without saying a word. ;)

th

"Look at me, Leo."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What yelling? A "true fan" will let you know without saying a word. ;)

th

Oh, I've seen some drunken fan police verbally accost people as they leave early. Like *thats* going to make people want to return anytime soon.......

Reaction Score
A fan is anyone who spends a penny or a second on this BS.

Reaction Score
Maybe if you sold your TV and stopped watching Doctor Who you would be out of debt sooner and you'd already be a season ticket holder. Clearly your priorities are clearly out of whack. ;)

I just wasn't thinking. I'll correct it immediately. :) but seriously I was going to get season tickets this year. Just top of the rent. Love those seats up top for some reason. But the condo I'm buying just fell in my lap and I couldn't pass it up.

Reaction Score
First - that was directed at Nostical. I quoted your quote of him.

Second - its not really a dig. If you have "connections" to the team you will feel differently than if you don't. Nostical clearly talks to players / families, so what else could his talk track be? Would any band parent go on the BY and say who cares about the band?

Third - why you mad bro?

Lastly - since I'm clearly not a fan under Nostical's definition - maybe he should pony up for Butch's tickets next year. I'm not worthy. LMAO.
My post was directed at nostical too, in hindsight I can see why using "you" instead of "he" would be confusing, my bad!

Connections or not, he's being a . Telling people, especially fans here, they are bad fans is douchtastic.

I paid for Butch's parking for BYU last year after you bought him the tickets. I guess I'm still a bad fan.

Reaction Score
WingU-Conn said:
My post was directed at nostical too, in hindsight I can see why using "you" instead of "he" would be confusing, my bad! Connections or not, he's being a . Telling people, especially fans here, they are bad fans is douchtastic. I paid for Butch's parking for BYU last year after you bought him the tickets. I guess I'm still a bad fan.

I thought you were calling me a . Lol.

Reaction Score
It is fully acceptable to leave the Furman basketball game early if you're going to the football game. AND ONLY THEN

My favorite "fan" moment of the year from the young alumni section. During the Navy game there was a group behind my friends and it was just nonstop chatter from them all game about anything but football. You could tell they didn't give two poops about the game and we're more concerned with the perfect instagram picture. ANY ways my buddy and I were up and screaming on a big 3rd down and they're like "uh can you guys please sit down?" Really dude you're not even watching the game? !?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom