UConn Podcast: Leaving Games Early Debate | The Boneyard

UConn Podcast: Leaving Games Early Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Challenge accepted. The guys wanted to check the Boneyard to read thoughts/opinions if the fans should be excused for leaving the ECU game early.

the-uconn-pod-should-fans-stick-around-when-their-team-is-winning

I know we debated this on other threads - just answering the call from the guys on the Pod. :)

(And NO!, fans shouldn't leave a game that we are only up 2 scores with 10 to play. We also shouldn't have 31 students left in the student section in second halves of games...debate away)

Dooley

Reaction Score
It's an insult to the players to leave the game early. It's also an insult to the performers to leave a Broadway show early. It's called manners.

One example on the Podcast was whether or not peeps would leave a movie early. Of course they wouldn't, even if they have already seen the movie and knew the ending. So why do fans leave games that we are winning early? Lots of talk surrounds the premise that "fans will come back when the team wins"...well, we were winning and it wasn't much of a blowout to warrant feeling 100% confident in a W with 10 to play. Why leave? You've already invested a full night (and if you tailgated at 2PM, a full DAY) towards the game...why is saving 15 minutes at the end that important?

This isn't an issue that pertains strictly to UConn. It's a national trend and franchises/venues are trying to come up with creative reasons why fans should go to a game instead of staying home and watching on TV (ex - building bar lounge areas). I think the issue is magnified more for us because we play in an off-campus stadium and student busses run non-stop from halftime on...so we are usually left with a student section that is 3/4 empty by the start of the 4th quarter in most games. When the lifeblood of our stadium is giving up games early, so the rest will follow.

So how do we get our fans to come/stay later? I'd say a good start would be cutting back on the number of busses back to Storrs. ONE bus leaves in the 4th quarter for emergencies and whatever. The rest leave after the game ends. Make a dedicated lane for bus traffic similar to FastTrak so students aren't subjected to sitting in traffic on their way out. And give the GD students a flipping burger or hot dog in a dedicated student tailgating area when they get there early!

Another idea: setting up a "Crowd Rewards" program. Have a counter displayed by the scoreboard - it can say something like "Pay the Rent!" and track the number of times the crowd causes disruptions like opposing team false start and delay of game penalties or makes the other team call a useless timeout. If the counter hits X number of disruptions, everyone with a ticket stub gets a sandwich/wings/free swag from whoever wants to sponsor this (you can put a logo on the "Pay the Rent!" sign for extra advertising). Students get an additional free swag item from the Co-Op or something. We already have a gazillion corporate promos at our games so what is one more. But this one would actually HELP OUR TEAM while creating something fun for the fans to engage with during games. Put the number high enough and it stretches into 2nd halves of games and maybe people will stick around to "help pay the Rent!". It sure beats picking 2 rows to race passing a stupid sign down.

Reaction Score
Arrive on time. Stay to the end. That's what real, die-hard fans do. Unfortunately, that's not the fanbase we have in Connecticut for football.

I'll never forget my senior year at UConn in 2005 when the Huskies were 5-5 entering the final game of the season against Louisville. It was a really gross late-afternoon, early evening game. Rainy and cold. But the Huskies needed the win to get to a bowl game.

Earlier in the week Edsall was begging fans to show up and pack the Rent.

The place was half empty.

At that point I knew we would never have the die-hard football fan base that we could count on consistently.

Through the years that scene has replayed itself over and over again. The Huskies need a win at home against either a less glamorous opponent or in bad weather conditions and the fans simply do not show.

We can't all be die-hards and that is fine. There is room in the UConn tent for casual fans. However, you can't expect UConn football fans to show up in big numbers when they are needed. You just can't.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I think we need to remind these children (and many adults) to bring their mittens and hats. Seriously, there were 50 people in the corner (not counting the band) for the fight song. The team deserves better than watching people file out in the third quarter, winning or losing.
I will admit, however, that my wife was in the car "warming it up" with 5 to go. Her fandom only goes so far, and she figured we had enough runs to support a win.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think it's a New England thing.

The top three hobbies of a New Englander are talking about traffic, planning ways to avoid traffic and celebrating having avoided traffic.

Doesn't matter what sport - I've been to Patriot games where you can sense the entire stadium just waiting for the right moment to break for the parking lot.

It's your sixth sense.

Reaction Score
Here's how I look at a problem like this.

I'm not in favor of trying to make dollar paying people that are engaged in following a sports event to do anything they don't want to do. Sports - for the spectator (not family and friends of athletes) but the real spectators - is purely entertainment. UCONN alumni will have a connection that goes beyond pure entertainment for UCONN sports for sure, and again - who am I to tell a fellow money donating UCONN alum what to do with their time and presence after the fact that they've donated money and bought tickets?

Nor - is this only a UCONN issue. It's pretty normal to see venues emptying out before the end of a game, if the game isn't entertaining. Pro sports, college sports - no difference

But here's the thing - when a team is at home playing in front of a home crowd - it seems like it would be a positive challenge - to get the stands emptying out early - because you've dominated the game so thoroughly that by the final minutes, the outcome of the game isn't in question and they're leaving happy to go about their important stuff that is more important to them than waiting til the end.

When you're on the road? Positive challenge for the team on the field, to get the crowd to empty out early - because once again, you've dominated the opponent so thoroughly that in that case, they're leaving in disgust, to go things that for them are more important than watching us destroy their team.

Reaction Score
But here's the thing - when a team is at home playing in front of a home crowd - it seems like it would be a positive challenge - to get the stands emptying out early - because you've dominated the game so thoroughly that by the final minutes, the outcome of the game isn't in question and they're leaving happy to go about their important stuff that is more important to them than waiting til the end.

I actually agree with this. If the game is in hand I am less than concerned over fans leaving early. As far as I am concerned the whole singing with the band at the team following the game tradition we are trying to build is silly. We're not a service academy, there is no tradition here.

The main problem is them showing up late, leaving early when the game is still within reach or simply not showing up at all.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I actually agree with this. If the game is in hand I am less than concerned over fans leaving early. As far as I am concerned the whole singing with the band at the team following the game tradition we are trying to build is silly. We're not a service academy, there is no tradition here.

The main problem is them showing up late, leaving early when the game is still within reach or simply not showing up at all.

I totally agree. The singing thing is as authentic as Meg Ryan's chin. Traditions should be genuine. I wish people stayed but I get it. The parking lot is like Thunderdome.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I totally agree. The singing thing is as authentic as Meg Ryan's chin. Traditions should be genuine. I wish people stayed but I get it. The parking lot is like Thunderdome.
Traditions are built and have to start somewhere.

It's a new team tradition, nothing the fans need to care about, something for the team to do to build unity.

I like the fact that the team has an additional tie to the school... I try to get over there to watch, just takes forever, and it means I have to leave my seat with 2:30 to go... gasp!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I guess I'm not a good enough fan because never in ten thousand years will I stay after a game to sing anything.

I'm pretty sure being critical of the people who do go to the games isn't the way to grow attendance but whatever - if your behavior isn't deemed perfect by some you aren't doing a good enough job.

Reaction Score
I come early and stay to the end. I jump up and down, holler and yell, wave my arms to get others to do the same. Often get a mild response, that helps. Not calling anyone out above but I and we as die hard fans have absolutely no right to tell others in this country how they should spend their time or money. Do I wish they would see it my way, of course. It has been documented time and again that CT fans are followers and not the 6th or 12th man depending on the sport.
Will we ever have the fan base that is dreamed of like that of the big time football schools? Only time will tell, for now it is my guess most of those expressing the concern of what and when fans should be coming or going are in a group that would remember this.

GO DOGS!!!

Reaction Score
Nostical said:
It's an insult to the players to leave the game early. It's also an insult to the performers to leave a Broadway show early. It's called manners. .

I left Mile High on Sunday after the safety put the Broncos up 29-10. #sorrynotsorry

Poor showing by my Pack.

Reaction Score
I left early last Friday. I had children to get home to. Don't tell me to bring them. I have. They don't enjoy it, which makes it so that I don't enjoy it. I've occasionally left early when we've gotten blown out. Why stay and continue to get angrier and angrier, over something that shouldn't be that important? Better to leave and enjoy what's left of the day, life is short. I'll be right back in the stadium the next game anyway.

I could run down my laundry list of what I've done to support the program. It would be more than some here, and less than others. But anyone who wants to question my fanhood because I choose to leave and spend time with my kids can, to quote Scuba Lou, eat a dick.

FOH with that "insult to leave early" nonsense. I wouldn't leave a broadway play early because they're entertaining. Even the bad ones are entertaining. I'm also not emotionally involved in the outcome. If someone misses a line, IDGAF. I have left 2 movies early. But movies
are generally half the time of a football game, and don't involve a gridlocked parking lot afterword. So those are two poor analogies.

Reaction Score
FOH with that "insult to leave early" nonsense. I wouldn't leave a broadway play early because they're entertaining. I'm also not emotionally involved in the outcome. And they don't involve a gridlocked parking lot after. Those are two poor analogies.

So you wouldn't leave a Broadway play because "you're not emotionally involved in the outcome" but you'd leave a UConn football game that you actually are emotionally involved with. Now that's rational thinking. Look, if you have to leave for your kids emergency that's understandable. But a gridlocked parking lot is no excuse. Leaving early is indeed an insult to the players, the coaches and your own team loyalties. But it is a free country so knock yourself out.

Reaction Score
This was an issue during the Edsall/Big East era. At least back then we were getting larger attendance numbers and better UConn teams to watch against opponents with more local appeal.

Now we're just trying to get the casual fans back to break 30K/game. It's their prerogative how late they show up & how early they leave, but just show up - period. And, as we all know, that won't happen until the team starts winning consistently. More games like the ECU game would help.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
People that dedicate 7 hours of their day instead of 8 hours to UConn football are not the problem. The fact that people have competing priorities and obligations is not an insult. This isn't all or nothing.

I enjoy staying until the end of games, but that doesn't mean my wife does (and she's pretty die hard as most go). That's reality. Sometimes I stay, sometimes I compromise.

Ask the people leaving why they are leaving, and address that don't just fault them. Traffic? Maybe the flow can be improved. Cold? Throw up a few portable heaters on the concourse. Family obligation? Go no further, family trumps all. Playing teams we don't care about? Schedule better teams. Getting blown out? Stop getting blown out.

Dooley is right on - have a reward program where you get stamped or swipe a card before kickoff and at 0:00 and you get something of actual value. I also agree that there is no reason the student busses should leave before midway through the 4th (the improvement of student bussing to games can be a whole other topic). Incentivize people to stay.

Reaction Score
The buses don't start leaving until they are completely filled by students who have already left the game. The bus schedule is completely based off of the students' actions. It is a double edged sword. If you don't offer buses that leave early, students won't come in the first place.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The buses don't start leaving until they are completely filled by students who have already left the game. The bus schedule is completely based off of the students' actions. It is a double edged sword. If you don't offer buses that leave early, students won't come in the first place.

The whole thing smells foul to me. On one hand, I don't like the idea of holding people hostage - especially students. But on the other, we need our student sections to be packed and loud for an entire 60+ minutes. There have been a few games that opposing coaches have elected to go into the student section in overtime. Why not? There are no students left by the time overtime starts.

Sports is entertainment. I'm not questioning anyone's "fanhood" for leaving a game early. All I want to know is is there anything that can be done or changed to our gameday experience that would encourage fans to get in early and stay later?

Dedicated student bus lane so they can get back to Storrs without sitting in traffic? Rewards Program? "Pay the Rent"? Connecticut fans love them some t-shirts (almost as much as they love talking about traffic). Cause 4 false start/delay of game/stupid time outs for our visitors and fans get a free t-shirt when they leave the stadium. Make it navy blue and it reads "I Paid The Rent". Some fans will wear it as a badge of honour at future games and create conversations with other fans "hey buddy, how did you pay the rent?" (at the extreme risk of wondering down a premise to a p0rno!) Well damn it, I want to pay the rent because I love me some t-shirts. I'm going to make some friggin' noise! Students get a t-shirt AND some additional swag or food. Get a corporate sponsor for this thing and put a logo up on the stadium board tracker and on the t-shirt. Free advertising. Win. Win. Win. And watch the team win games thanks to a full and loud crowd!

Either way, what can be done? Let's not turn this into "I'm a better fan than you because I watch the UCMB after games are over" thread. Instead, let's turn this into an ideas thread. What would encourage diehard and casual fans to come earlier and stay longer? The itinerary emails we all get are a nice start - clearly the school and program are trying to address the gameday problems.

At the end of the day, the choice is each fan's to make. But that's not to say that we can't try to come up with ideas to make that choice a little bit harder to make than it is right now.

Reaction Score
So you wouldn't leave a Broadway play because "you're not emotionally involved in the outcome" but you'd leave a UConn football game that you actually are emotionally involved with. Now that's rational thinking. Look, if you have to leave for your kids emergency that's understandable. But a gridlocked parking lot is no excuse. Leaving early is indeed an insult to the players, the coaches and your own team loyalties. But it is a free country so knock yourself out.

If you have tickets to a Broadway play, most likely it was planned with a hotel room in the city or other logistics. Nobody ever goes to a Broadway play with the thought that they might duck out early. You also know that you are going to see Book of Mormon. If you showed up to Book of Mormon and ended up seeing Mamma Mia you might just walk out. Like I did in Denver. Someone clearly was impersonating Aaron Rodgers and I didn't like the understudy. :)

OTOH, sporting events, especially when you buy season tickets, are purchased months in advance with no knowledge as to time of day, whatever else you have going on in your life, etc. Once you have made that commitment, you generally want to go, but you can't always invest the same rigor into your plans.

Reaction Score
Some of you are making a false argument. We "need" people to stay to the end because magically that is the thing that gets us into a different conference. That just isn't true. And everyone here acting like it is true doesn't make it true. We would be better off if everyone who ever bought tickets to UCONN stopped going to games and instead subscribed to Uverse/DirecTV/local cable all at the same time. We could have 3x the "cable boxes" which might actually make a difference.

I "want" the stadium to be full because it is more fun when it is and it is better for our team. But "need"? Not so much...

Reaction Score
This argument is one of the more stupid arguments that regularly show up around here, if you ask me. we do not live in a cultural area, and do not have a fan base that tolerates losing. It's that simple. It's pretty remarkable, how resilient our fan base has shown to be, after last season - really.

Not counting Michigan, because it doesn't really count - we haven't had an official UCONN sellout since the last game of the 2010 season. Lots of things have changed since then, and the regular followers of the program have their theories - but in reality this isn't a hard concept. Since that last sellout we have an overall win loss record of 19-38. At home, since that last sellout we are 14-18, if my math is right.

That's less than a 50/50 shot of seeing a win at the stadium in the past 5 seasons, minus one left to go this year. With Houston coming to finish the season, Diaco has taken the program this year - to the point of matching our last home win total of 4, in 2011. We haven't won more than 3 home games in a season since 2011.

this is what our home record looked like from opening day through 2010:

2003: 5-1
2004: 6-1
2005: 4-2
2006: 3-4
2007: 7-0
2008: 4-2
2009: 4-2
2010: 6-0

39-12 at home.

Coaches coach and players play. When they both put on a reliable show to win at home, fans will come to watch. No reason to think otherwise - until it actually happens again, regularly - and fans don't show up.

It's a good idea, not to create problems, when none exists. There are enough real problems in the world.

Break down the numbers a little more: From 2007-2010 seasons, we were get this;

at home: 21-4 at home.

Since then: 14-18.

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
Some of you are making a false argument. We "need" people to stay to the end because magically that is the thing that gets us into a different conference. That just isn't true. And everyone here acting like it is true doesn't make it true. We would be better off if everyone who ever bought tickets to UCONN stopped going to games and instead subscribed to Uverse/DirecTV/local cable all at the same time. We could have 3x the "cable boxes" which might actually make a difference.

I "want" the stadium to be full because it is more fun when it is and it is better for our team. But "need"? Not so much...

Neither side is right. A full stadium doesn't guarantee anything in CR but neither does cable boxes. CR is a whole plethora of factors.

Are you more likely to watch a game played in a lively stadium vs a 3/4 empty stadium? Part of the reason I watch games that I'm not invested in is the environment. I can't get into watching Ball State @ Western Michigan with a crowd of about 5,000. I can get into watching Baylor @ Kansas State or Miss St @ Missouri because the crowds are fuller and louder. It's about enhancing the gameday experience inside our stadium and for the folks across the country who turn on a UConn game with no vested interest other than to watch a game.

Matt posted the following video on his new site. This is the kind of stuff that makes watching on TV fun while helping our team. Why not try to make this a common occurrence instead of once every 5 years? Listen to this crowd and listen to the commentators fall all over themselves talking up UConn's atmosphere. Aside: Sean Mcdonough was the same dude who couldn't say enough bad things about UConn in our game against Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom