UConn or Purdue? | The Boneyard

UConn or Purdue?

Reaction Score
Which team has the most pressure to win the championship this year? Both are arguably the best two teams in the country. UConn is the defending champs and Purdue lost to a #16 last year but has the defending national player of the year again.

Reaction Score
No one really expects teams to actually repeat, so I don't think UConn is going to have pressure on them in that sense.

Purdue has pressure just to get out of the early rounds.
Sounds familiar

Reaction Score
I'm 39, during the 90s a talking point in college basketball is when would Purdue/Keady(yes I know they made it with previous coaches) and UConn/Calhoun break through and reach a Final 4. UConn now has 6 FFs and 5 titles w/3 different coaches, Purdue never broke through under Keady and they're still waiting under Painter. The pressure is all on Purdue and even more so after these last two early exits.

Reaction Score
Purdue has more. They're known as a laughingstock in March and no one expects them to do anything but lose to a 16-seed.

Reaction Score
Purdue without a doubt. Painter has a well-earned reputation for choking in the tournament and more broadly, the B1G has not won a championship in almost 25 years!

Purdue also returned almost everything, while UConn lost three of their most important players off last year’s team.

Reaction Score
I think Purdue has a unique amount of pressure. Like more than I can remember any school having. Calipari is also facing a metric ton of pressure.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure pressure is the term to use. Does Purdue have more to gain as a program? Yes.
But I feel like pressure attaches itself more to a team like Gonzaga - (yes. I know they are way down this year) Purdue's national powerhouse relevance is young, recent and may not last beyond this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do not mean to sound like an ass, but this thread cannot be real. Purdue has not made it past the first weekend in how long???? Wake me up when they get to the Sweet 16.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I’m looking forward to watching that 1 v 16 game for Purdue where the team will inevitably do exactly what fdu did and let them shoot. They absolutely clammed up last year. Will be interesting to see if they can push through it.

Reaction Score
Virginia won a championship the year after losing to a #16.
This is not ONE year of futility. Purdue is on a 3 year streak of futility under the gentle giant. They have lost to double digit seeds 5 times under Painter. That is hard to do.

Reaction Score
Purdue has way more and judging by the fact they struggle at full strength with a mediocre Minnesota at home, they are going to get some significant game pressure early in the tourney against like an 8 seed TCU or Boise State that tests their mettle

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
We can talk pressure on Purdue if they are again a one seed which is more than likely and the 16 seed comes and hits their first five threes. And one is like off the backboard a bank shot that was not intended to be a bank shot. When those happen early they can be demoralizing for the opponent as you can’t defend luck. So if they get behind and their opponent is shooting lights out from three, you will actually be able to see the pressure on the faces of the players. Just like us last year being down too Iona at halftime. If the thought here we go again did not cross your mind during that halftime break, I don’t think you are being 100% honest.

Reaction Score
I do not mean to sound like an ass, but this thread cannot be real. Purdue has not made it past the first weekend in how long???? Wake me up when they get to the Sweet 16.
4 sweet 16s since 2017. Last time getting to the second weekend was 2022.

Reaction Score
Purdue’s last 3 tournament appearances:
Bounced by a 16 seed
Bounced by a 15 seed
Bounced by a 13 seed

And they have the best player in college basketball. Again.

The question for UConn is “holy **** can they do it again?” The question for Purdue is “can they avoid another historic meltdown?”

ALL the pressure is on Purdue

Reaction Score
4 sweet 16s since 2017. Last time getting to the second weekend was 2022.
You serious? Purdue lost to a 16 seed last year with basically the same team. A year before they lost to a 15th seed in the sweet 16 game. Year before that they lost to a 13th seed. All these losses happened in the era of the big softy. I stand by my point: Purdue sucks.

Reaction Score
Is this a joke? I don’t think you guys know Hurley at all. He is steaming when a couple of his seniors jogging back for defense and his team is 20 points ahead. Pressure is on him and it shows.

Reaction Score
I’m looking forward to watching that 1 v 16 game for Purdue where the team will inevitably do exactly what fdu did and let them shoot. They absolutely clammed up last year. Will be interesting to see if they can push through it.
Not so sure we see that this year. Last year's team shot 32% which was 276th in the country. This year they shoot 40% and are 5th in the country

Reaction Score
You serious? Purdue lost to a 16 seed last year with basically the same team. A year before they lost to a 15th seed in the sweet 16 game. Year before that they lost to a 13th seed. All these losses happened in the era of the big softy. I stand by my point: Purdue sucks.
I don’t think you can be annoyed that you asked a question and he answered it!?!?

Reaction Score
Not so sure we see that this year. Last year's team shot 32% which was 276th in the country. This year they shoot 40% and are 5th in the country
How are they from the line compared to last year? Seems like they miss a lot of free throws, might just be a slump though

Reaction Score
How are they from the line compared to last year? Seems like they miss a lot of free throws, might just be a slump though
71% so not great (216th in the country) compared to 74% / 80th last year. But a bit like UConn where it's dragged down by guys who won't be on the floor in closing minutes. 4 guys who shoot 77+% and even Edey is at 70%, plus another at 78%. Not sure what their exact closing lineup is though

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom