UCONN - Marquette post game thread (merged thread) | The Boneyard

UCONN - Marquette post game thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A game to pretty much forget and move on from. Having said that, people were enthused with MOV vs. Creighton, but if they (Creighton) had made a bunch of their open 3 point shots, it would have been a different story. The announcers said several times that we played into Marquette's hands - not an untrue statement. Slow paced, way too much standing around, and UCONN slogged thru a half court game with no rhythm. But they were tired. No real bench help at this time.

The other thing is that I get tired of UCONN being taught to play without fouling while other teams push, hit, bump and maul us. If a team fouls on every play, it's impossible for the refs to call every foul? Why not??? Get 3 starters with 4 fouls in Q1 and the other team will stop the constant fouling.

For the game, uber kudos to Caroline and Lou. Caroline would have had 3 more points if not for stepping out of bounds on a 3-point shot she made. Both of them were terrific, but it was especially nice seeing Caroline continue to round into the form we saw last season.

Q4 was actually quite good. At halftime Geno lamented the lack of offensive movement while praising the defense. The defense was really solid. The offense not so much. It was a grind, but more than that, missing open players when they were open, taking the wrong shot, the kind of offense we aren't used to seeing.

Bottom line a very nice start and a very nice end for the game. The middle, not so much LOL. A good experience against a very hard team to play against. Really looking forward to Aubrey and Azzi coming back. Game changers, both of them.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Marquette game.
  • UConn has been shorthanded for so many games these past few seasons that having 8 players suited up for a tough game vs Marquette almost feels like a relief of sorts.
  • Marquette is a physical team that will make you work at both ends of the court. UConn appeared fatigued at times today and the offense was somewhat stagnant. As a result, this game was a grind for the Huskies.
  • Over the past few games, UConn opponents are really focused on defending Lou at the arc. When Azzi returns that will change somewhat. But in the meantime, Lou continues to burn opponents off the dribble and with great off ball movement leading to backdoor cuts.
  • Watching Dorka go down after banging knees with the Marquette player was yet another sinking feeling like too many UConn injuries this season and last. Seeing her come back in the game was far more pleasant.
  • I really, really liked Caroline’s game today. She worked hard at both ends of the court, rebounded well and contributed a bunch of BIG baskets, after which she took her usual position on the bench, ice pack in hand against her head.
  • Azzi on the bench in uniform was bittersweet. Great to know she’s close to being back. But we all really want to see her back on the court.
  • Tough win today!!! Beautiful win today!!!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Geno talking at the start of the season about how bad they were defensively seems laughable now. Marquette just did not get many great looks.

UConn becomes a “normal” offense when the other team takes away their transition game.

Lou was a “little” off against Creighton but with increased focus on Edwards and Dorka, Lou had some room to operate. She doesn’t need much.

it was great seeing Caroline step up. Bri’s interview with her high school reminded my why CD is so easy to cheer for.

Megan Duffy continues to get the most out of her teams. I would be fine with her being a candidate as an eventual replacement for Geno.

I am glad Nika was still taking the open look shots even though she was cold from the field.

I wish Geno had more confidence in Ines to spell Nika. Nika needed some time today to get her head straight.

Missed layups, which haven’t been much of a concern so far this year, reared its ugly head today.

I wonder if Geno had any plans to play Azzi today. I was surprised she dressed considering he told the press she would not.

A great win against a well prepared Marquette team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A game to pretty much forget. Having said that, people were pretty enthused with MOV vs. Creighton, but if they had made a bunch of their open 3 point shots, it would have been a different story. The announcers said several times that we played into Marquette's hands - not an untrue statement. Slow paced, way too much standing around, and UCONN slogged thru a half court game with no rhythm.

The other thing is that I get tired of UCONN being taught to play without fouling while other teams push, hit, bump and maul us. If a team fouls on every play, it's impossible for the refs to call every foul? Why not??? Get 3 starters with 4 fouls in Q1 and the other team will stop the constant fouling.

For the game, uber kudos to Caroline and Lou. Caroline would have had 3 more points if not for stepping out of bounds on a 3-point shot she made.
I gotta disagree, rather vehemently, Eric. This team was exhausted. In the first quarter, on a close up of Lou, she was red faced and gasping for air. I think they were fabulous given the pushing, grabbing defense and short bench.

Reaction Score
It wasn’t all pretty on offense, but defensively we were very strong and constantly grabbing rebounds. Everyone looked tired, but they ground out the win, and that’s what counts.

In March during tourney season, it’s a grind and it’s important to be able to win when tired. This is just like the middle of the season last year — it helped us then and will help now/in the future.

Lou, CD, and Dorka all had a particularly great game today. AE was getting some good chances but the rim was really not her friend today. Nika was the usual floor general.

I’m always happy with a UConn win.

Happy new year, go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Hey, a win is a win. 5 tired young ladies. Great hustle by all of them. Caroline a pleasant surprise and well done. Dorka with lots of effort. I liked.

Marquette played against UConn very well. Have no seen a game like this one without many fast breaks along the way.

Reaction Score
Geno sez after the game "they are physically and mentally tired" and have to "gut it out". Bench played a total of 9 min, two starters 40 min, two played 38. Anyone would be tired against Marquette. I still say, give the bench more time to give the starters a blow. Then again, again, what the heck do I know?

Reaction Score
We have only
I gotta disagree, rather vehemently, Eric. This team was exhausted. In the first quarter, on a close up of Lou, she was red faced and gasping for air. I think they were fabulous given the pushing, grabbing defense and short bench.
Yes, with only 6 players in today's game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hey, a win is a win. 5 tired young ladies. Great hustle by all of them. Caroline a pleasant surprise and well done. Dorka with lots of effort. I liked.

Marquette played against UConn very well. Have no seen a game like this one without many fast breaks along the way.
As you point out, Marquette did about the best job I've seen, from any UConn opponent, of getting back on defense to shut down UConn's transition offense. UConn got almost all their points in the half-court offense

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno sez after the game "they are physically and mentally tired" and have to "gut it out". Bench played a total of 9 min, two starters 40 min, two played 38. Anyone would be tired against Marquette. I still say, give the bench more time to give the starters a blow. Then again, again, what the heck do I know?
Amari had 2 fouls in 6 minutes and missed a point blank layup when the team needed scoring. Ayanna had all zeroes in the box score - Geno put her in to rebound.

Reaction Score
Give Marquette credit. They played physical defense and mucked up the game taking away transition and free flowing cuts. They still won by a significant margin and the defense held up well. Amari is showing some improvement each game and is not wasting her minutes. I'm not too upset by this game and the way it played out.

Reaction Score
Games like this come along from time to time. UCONN fatigued from holiday travel, and trip to/from Creighton...then 1 day really to rest and prep for another game against a motivated Marquette. BUT... UCONN fought through the fatigue and Marquette to win the game. As I pointed out to my Sister-in-law when she was complaining about UCONN's play... the game was tied once...at 0 to 0 and UCONN NEVER trailed the entire game. Closer than we want... SURE... but as they say... A WIN IS A WIN. On to Butler.

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
As you point out, Marquette did about the best job I've seen, from any UConn opponent, of getting back on defense to shut down UConn's transition offense. UConn got almost all their points in the half-court offense
Turnovers, a we know, are contagious. I guess Old Dude fumbled getting to the gate today!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Caroline is looking like shes back. She came up big when we needed her. Shes tall, can get open, and has a sweet shot. Azzi coming back will force defenses to guard her and make things easier for everybody else.

Think ahead a week or so and we've got Caroline Azzi and Aubrey and thats gonna be fun to watch. Hey we can give our starters a rest. We've been waiting a long time to get healthy and I think we are only a few days away. This is gonna be exciting.

Reaction Score
I like the fact the the Huskies can fight through all obstacles placed before them and come out on top. It was not very artistic, but if you are knowledgeable at all, you knew this type of game was coming. They survived and move on to Butler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom