UCONN - Marquette post game thread (merged thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Marquette post game thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It wasn't until 3:11 left in the 4th Q when we went up by 11 that I knew we'd win and relaxed. I actually was pretty sure we'd win the whole game despite Marquette hanging in there.

As has been mentioned, we just have to get more healthy bodies available. The minutes the starters have played is just not sustainable. Getting Azzi and Aubrey back in the mix will be a relief (pun intended) to all concerned.

For today, props to CD and Lou. They both came through when it was really needed.

Reaction Score
Caroline was such a joy to watch today. I loved her hitting two 3s in the 1st quarter, and then coming alive offensively in the 4th. She’s also been rebounding the ball really well this year. Some defensive timing and limiting turnovers is all she has to really clean up. I’m such a fan of her game, so crafty.

Averaging 11.6 ppg since Azzi got injured. Quietly stepping up like last year!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Marquette's bench played 34 minutes to UConn's 9. The Huskies shot a better percentage, had more assists, and more rebounds. The starters really answered the call.
34 to 9 is HUGE. It's hard to play when that 50 lb GO-rilla (fatigue) jumps on your back, clamps on and rides you the rest of the game. :eek: It's bad when you know Geno is NOT going to sub for you. :confused: It's very easy to critize if you've never walked a mile in their shoes. When you're drained, your coach knows it. If he/she leaves you in, that means they don't have a sub for you they trust to be in the game at THAT juncture. You just have to gut it out. Sometimes late in the game, it's all you can do to run up and down the court, let alone make any plays.

There's nothing worse than looking over at the bench when you're spent, and giving your coach "that look", and he shrugs his shoulders basically telling you no. :confused: That's why I'm giving a tip o' the turban to ALL of the UConn players that played today.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We were completely exhausted out there today but still battled through. Marquette plays a very bruising defense, with slaps, restriction of movement on cuts, pushing and it is even more effective when you are dog tired. The minutes were insane with Dorka having the least of the starters with"only" 35 since she came out of the game.

To me the biggest takeaway was the reemergence of Caroline. The 3 was working for her and she became the opportunistic scorer of last year underneath and with pull ups. She scored from the arc, on drives and with her jump shot. Her defense was good and once again she was clutch like last year. 19 and 7 is very respectable. That save under our basket late in the game to Nika which led to the Dorka "dagger" 3 was a great, great play. She has to work on the turnovers but there is improvement every game.

Marquette decided to double and triple underneath but the perimeter game tandem of CD and Lou carried the banner today. It was tight at times but another "growth" win for us. Aubrey and Azzi will add a lot and overnight. Happy New Year to all.

Reaction Score
Caroline was such a joy to watch today. I loved her hitting two 3s in the 1st quarter, and then coming alive offensively in the 4th. She’s also been rebounding the ball really well this year. Some defensive timing and limiting turnovers is all she has to really clean up. I’m such a fan of her game, so crafty.

Averaging 11.6 ppg since Azzi got injured. Quietly stepping up like last year!
Totally agree. I listened to her high school coach before the game. He sounded like she was back to her game as of Seton Hall but he did say it would be fits and starts. She is a gamer, a player, and a cold blooded assassin out there. She just needs to get healed and rested. Great kid too.

Reaction Score
Caroline is looking like shes back. She came up big when we needed her. Shes tall, can get open, and has a sweet shot. Azzi coming back will force defenses to guard her and make things easier for everybody else.

Think ahead a week or so and we've got Caroline Azzi and Aubrey and thats gonna be fun to watch. Hey we can give our starters a rest. We've been waiting a long time to get healthy and I think we are only a few days away. This is gonna be exciting.
As always Tonyc, I agree with you. to me this game was a nail biter and contributed to a nervous stomach, but a win is a win. Caroline is almost back and getting better every game so I have confidence it's coming, Caroline of old. The defense actually won this game by not letting Marquette get into a rhythm and score more points. I give credit to the whole starting five for a game that was up for grabs and they pulled it out. GO TEAM!!! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Game summary in ONE word. Fatigue. Get some rest ladies.
We played tired and uninspired it seemed. Nika didn't drive the train, was to passive and played like practice set-ups. She has to drive and shoot more to open up the court. Our offensive sets are much too predictable. Our starters are playing too many minutes, even with the short bench. Zero points from two positions hopefully will change. We need to look for our shot more instead of looking to pass. Our creative basketball is missing.

Reaction Score
Few thoughts:
*Duffy is a real good coach and took away a lot of UConn strengths (UConn had no transition game and AE was guarded real well).
*Lou: simply put, the most important transfer in the history of the program. What an amazing offensive player and so cool.
*CD: best game of the season! can she play with a helmet? every game the poor girl is hit on the head and it is scary...
*Dorka: a solid game! i think our collective heart stopped when she was on the floor holding her knee.
*Nika: didn't control the tempo of the game like in other games and was 0 for America but was real good on defense.
*AE: they clogged the area where she likes to operate, and the rim was not kind to her this game.
*Amari: showed some positives. Hope she can get more minuets so she can get some game experience.
*AP: didn't do much and seemed confused, So Geno put her back on the bench. Maybe next game she can get extended minutes. We'll need her come March.
*UConn was clearly tired, and the physicality of this game didn't help. Good for the team to be able to fight through and get a solid win!
*Azzi and AG can't get back fast enough

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Tough game.It seem like hand to hand combat.
I wish Amari can get more playing time she has
the ability to contribute….size…outside threat….can post up strong.
And I like she is back to her old hairdo.
I liked her short hair do. It was nice to see Azzi dressed even though it was understood she would not play. We should see her sometime next week against Butler (Jan3) or Xavier (Jan 5). Both of those games are on the road. UConn's next home game is Jan. 8 versus DePaul.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Caroline's best game of the year...delighted for her!

Ayanna 3 minutes? Ines 0 minutes? For a fatigued/tired team??
Thumb an issue? Stitches an issue?
Geno's substitution patterns have always been predictable based on his assessment of practice performance and whether he thinks UConn will have a better chance with a tired player or one with less talent.

Reaction Score
Amari had 2 fouls in 6 minutes and missed a point blank layup when the team needed scoring. Ayanna had all zeroes in the box score - Geno put her in to rebound.
...and what did Inez do wrong other than have a bandage on her head? Amari had a couple of good defensive stances, and Ayanna is "too afraid" to make mistakes rather than just playing - wonder why. By the way Nan, Dorka missed a couple of point blank lay-ups in the first few minutes, too. Kids need to play to get confidence and contribute to the team, long term. You can only drive a car so long before it stops breaks down! We'll all take the win, however!

Reaction Score
Patterson played for a short while in first half. Set a nice screen for a Lou drive.
Based on Patterson's performance the past few games, her lack of minutes is not a surprise. Hopefully she will get her game in sync soon.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
A game to pretty much forget and move on from.
I hope the team learns from this game and not forget it. Because S. Carolina's defense will be more brutal. This team has work to do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope the team learns from this game and not forget it. Because S. Carolina's defense will more brutal. This team has work to do.
Exactly. Right now, its not hard to figure out how to play UConn. SC is a brutal matchup for many reasons. Although, Azzi & Aubrey should make things easier going forward.

Reaction Score
Nika didn't drive the train, was to passive

Every time she looked down the floor there were five Marquette defenders already in place. She had to adapt to a more deliberate half court game and though results were mixed she did OK.

Not everyone will be able to do what Marquette did to us: they were perfectly set up for us in their personnel, coaching and strategy implementation. Also right now we have a player or two inherently slower and some others step or two slower than their norm from fatigue. Despite this we won; not easily or overwhelmingly but I would claim convincingly. With some fresh legs coming, I'm not hugely worried by this game.

Reaction Score
Few thoughts:
*Duffy is a real good coach and took away a lot of UConn strengths (UConn had no transition game and AE was guarded real well).
*Lou: simply put, the most important transfer in the history of the program. What an amazing offensive player and so cool.
*CD: best game of the season! can she play with a helmet? every game the poor girl is hit on the head and it is scary...
*Dorka: a solid game! i think our collective heart stopped when she was on the floor holding her knee.
*Nika: didn't control the tempo of the game like in other games and was 0 for America but was real good on defense.
*AE: they clogged the area where she likes to operate, and the rim was not kind to her this game.
*Amari: showed some positives. Hope she can get more minuets so she can get some game experience.
*AP: didn't do much and seemed confused, So Geno put her back on the bench. Maybe next game she can get extended minutes. We'll need her come March.
*UConn was clearly tired, and the physicality of this game didn't help. Good for the team to be able to fight through and get a solid win!
*Azzi and AG can't get back fast enough
Have rewatched most of the past few games and focused on Patterson. Surprised to see how flat footed she plays. While Edwards, Dorka, etc. are always going to the ball for offensive rebounds, Patterson let's shorter defensive players outrebound her by standing in one spot-rarely moves. Same thing on her layups. Not surprising that she gets so many shots blocked by players much shorter since she doesn't get up on her toes and make ball fakes. Hopefully Geno and the assistants are coaching her since she appears to have the physical skills to contribute much more.

Reaction Score
...and what did Inez do wrong other than have a bandage on her head? Amari had a couple of good defensive stances, and Ayanna is "too afraid" to make mistakes rather than just playing - wonder why. By the way Nan, Dorka missed a couple of point blank lay-ups in the first few minutes, too. Kids need to play to get confidence and contribute to the team, long term. You can only drive a car so long before it stops breaks down! We'll all take the win, however!
I think Geno needs both Lou and Nika to the end as they both play solid 40 mins guard. Ines will have to replace one of them which is difficult to Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom