UCONN - Marquette post game thread (merged thread) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Marquette post game thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Knowing this, how do you disparage her play? Some of our fans DID NOT know this. She's out there playing as well as she can with whatever she can muster. We don't win today without her. Remember.............if it was easy, more players would be doing it. 19 pts, 7 reb, 2 asts. in 38 minutes.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Knowing this, how do you disparage her play? Some of our fans DID NOT know this. She's out there playing as well as she can with whatever she can muster. We don't win today without her. Remember.............if it was easy, more players would be doing it. 19 pts, 7 reb, 2 asts. in 38 minutes.
Some posters say this was an ugly win. I don't believe there is one top team in the country that has not had an ugly win. Maybe I am a little biased but, I will not complain about Ducharme. I think she is a solid player and will be an outstanding one if she ever gets completely healed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some posters say this was an ugly win. I don't believe there is one top team in the country that has not had an ugly win. Maybe I am a little biased but, I will not complain about Ducharme. I think she is a solid player and will be an outstanding one if she ever gets completely healed.
There's nothing wrong with an "ugly" win. I would have gladly (and proudly) accepted an ugly win last year in the championship game vs South Carolina. ;)

Reaction Score
CD looks like she is playing at 60-87% health-wise. She can barely get any lift on either end of the floor, and is much slower than she usually is. Yet, she showed today she is a match-up nightmare than can score at either the perimeter, inside, or midrange. If she gets close to 100%, she can put up 20-10 stats in her sleep.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I have a question about our turnovers.
I watch the games on my TV while watching the live stats and the Recent Plays on my phone. Today, Aaliyah tied up a Marquette player in our front court. The possession arrow was in Marquette's favor so they got the ball. In the Recent Plays, the play stated that Aaliyah committed a TO.
Is this actually a turnover when the Marquette player had control of the ball and Aaliyah tied her up? Or is the recorded play somehow reversed? No way should that be a TO just because Marquette got possession, IMO.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
CD looks like she is playing at 60-87% health-wise. She can barely get any lift on either end of the floor, and is much slower than she usually is. Yet, she showed today she is a match-up nightmare than can score at either the perimeter, inside, or midrange. If she gets close to 100%, she can put up 20-10 stats in her sleep.
Caroline is clearly fighting through stiffness or pain. I bet she was running on adrenaline today and will spend the evening in the whirlpool. She shows incredible mental toughness, as do her similarly gimpy teammates. I don’t know how anyone wouldn’t like this team.

Reaction Score
Another day, another win. On to 2023!
We have a tendency to extrapolate from the previous game to expect another blow-out performance. Progress will not be linear when we are short of players and people have to keep changing roles. It is going to take a few weeks of everyone being back to see consistent high quality performances. I am hoping that starting the next game, we will keep improving into March and April. A very happy new year to all!

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Marquette game.
  • UConn has been shorthanded for so many games these past few seasons that having 8 players suited up for a tough game vs Marquette almost feels like a relief of sorts.
  • Marquette is a physical team that will make you work at both ends of the court. UConn appeared fatigued at times today and the offense was somewhat stagnant. As a result, this game was a grind for the Huskies.
  • Over the past few games, UConn opponents are really focused on defending Lou at the arc. When Azzi returns that will change somewhat. But in the meantime, Lou continues to burn opponents off the dribble and with great off ball movement leading to backdoor cuts.
  • Watching Dorka go down after banging knees with the Marquette player was yet another sinking feeling like too many UConn injuries this season and last. Seeing her come back in the game was far more pleasant.
  • I really, really liked Caroline’s game today. She worked hard at both ends of the court, rebounded well and contributed a bunch of BIG baskets, after which she took her usual position on the bench, ice pack in hand against her head.
  • Azzi on the bench in uniform was bittersweet. Great to know she’s close to being back. But we all really want to see her back on the court.
  • Tough win today!!! Beautiful win today!!!
All true but let's be honest. Having "8 players available," at the present moment, is really having the starting five. Aubrey, Ines and, more recently, Patterson contribute nothing. I'm not saying that will always be the case, but you didn't see Nika sit down did you? We saw Patterson for 2-3 minutes early and, after doing her usual, she was never seen again. And Amari was called for two fouls in about 26 seconds, but did manage a lay in, after a nice pass from Caroline. One rebound fell in her arms as well. End of story. The starting five all played about 40 minutes, just as they did a few days earlier. So they are tired. If Azzi and Aubrey return, the world will get better. Though not for the three bench players.

Reaction Score
I'm not questioning Geno today. He earned his salary today winning a game against a good team with a patchwork lineup (3 starters out) and a very short bench. A tip o' the turban to Geno and his entire staff for the job they did today. He didn't have a lot to work with, and no room for error. I'm sure it wasn't his desire to play Lou and Nika 40 mins, Caroline and Aaliyah 38 mins, and Dorka 35, but THAT was the hand he was dealt. The man knows what he's doing. He's been down this road before..........lots of times.
We have a unique UConn team where all the starters can drive, shoot the midrange jump shot, and for the most part, hit 3-pointers. Today, virtually all the starters had a height advantage versus their competition. The subs have not proven any offensive spark, with the exception of DeBerry, are shorter than their Marquette counterpart, and are a step slower than the starter they would replace. Hate that Geno never substitues but understand the trade offs he is making.

Reaction Score
All true but let's be honest. Having "8 players available," at the present moment, is really having the starting five. Aubrey, Ines and, more recently, Patterson contribute nothing. I'm not saying that will always be the case, but you didn't see Nika sit down did you? We saw Patterson for 2-3 minutes early and, after doing her usual, she was never seen again. And Amari was called for two fouls in about 26 seconds, but did manage a lay in, after a nice pass from Caroline. One rebound fell in her arms as well. End of story. The starting five all played about 40 minutes, just as they did a few days earlier. So they are tired. If Azzi and Aubrey return, the world will get better. Though not for the three bench players.
"One rebound fell in her (Amari's)arms..."

But... after Amari executed a perfect box-out of the Marauette player. In this, she deserves more credit that she is given. By the way, I have been watching Amari-- thank you mjl243 for the replays-- and many times I see Amari effectively boxing out the opposition while team-mates collect the rebound . She is very active when she gets on the court. And the lay-up she missed was not a lay-up, it was a hook shot that fell short and struck the front of the rim. It was never a gimmee put, she was well defended.

Reaction Score
"One rebound fell in her (Amari's)arms..."

But... after Amari executed a perfect box-out of the Marauette player. In this, she deserves more credit that she is given. By the way, I have been watching Amari-- thank you mjl243 for the replays-- and many times I see Amari effectively boxing out the opposition while team-mates collect the rebound . She is very active when she gets on the court. And the lay-up she missed was not a lay-up, it was a hook shot that fell short and struck the front of the rim. It was never a gimmee put, she was well defended.
that would have been pretty if she made it. baby hooks are a good thing to have in a big's arsenal.

Reaction Score
an ugly win is still a win.

NM had the game that the NM-bashers have been salivating for....almost. If you only judge her by her shooting, then yes, she was terrible. Threw up a couple bricks and missed a couple of layups. Only 6 assists…

Now for the other side of the pancake….

NM had a very good defensive game, an excellent rebounding game, drew 2 charges (or if you like, she flopped her way into two charges- either way, same result). I don’t normally listen to the commentary, but didn’t meghan say that NM was savvy in getting the first charge? This is what I thought as well. She created two additional fouls on Marquette when she fed the low post (otherwise it would have been two more assists) and missed out on 5 other assists with missed shots. She has been really good at helping the team on the glass lately as well with another 6 rebounds. Only 2 TO (3-1 Assist: TO) and no fouls in 40 minutes. Maybe she was too tired to wack the other team around a bit. Didn’t seem like a ball of energy either – it was like she was trying to just get through/survive this one. Most of the team seemed to take the same queue.

NM’s shots did look ugly, and she needs to at least go 1-3 at the three point line and hit her layups – looked like she was bumped on one – but still needs to hit them.

But, NM was not the only one… AE struggled finishing at the rim and Dorka missed some as well. Dorka still had a pretty good game, missing not withstanding – she got us some tough offensive rebounds. After the first 5 minutes or so, it seemed like AE took only 4 shots the rest of the game (or close to that anyway).

Great game from Lou and CD on the offensive end. Lou starting to get to the bucket on the 3 pt overplay by the defense. CD had 7 rebounds and has a knack for chasing down the long rebound. She reads the ball coming of the rim very well. By contrast, yanna does not..if the ball doesn’t drop right down, she seems to need a second more to determine where it is going off the rim. I think she struggles seeing the ball off the rim.

CD with 5 more turnovers…this has not gotten better since she has been here. She is prone to turnovers. CD did save a couple balls though, giving us two additional possessions. She has a very short and very quick release on her shot. Just find her and get her the ball and hopefully soon she will settle into a 40% success rate.

Now for some well-deserved rest I hope and some reinforcements from and AG to help us.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
an ugly win is still a win.

NM had the game that the NM-bashers have been salivating for....almost. If you only judge her by her shooting, then yes, she was terrible. Threw up a couple bricks and missed a couple of layups. Only 6 assists…

Now for the other side of the pancake….

NM had a very good defensive game, an excellent rebounding game, drew 2 charges (or if you like, she flopped her way into two charges- either way, same result). I don’t normally listen to the commentary, but didn’t meghan say that NM was savvy in getting the first charge? This is what I thought as well. She created two additional fouls on Marquette when she fed the low post (otherwise it would have been two more assists) and missed out on 5 other assists with missed shots. She has been really good at helping the team on the glass lately as well with another 6 rebounds. Only 2 TO (3-1 Assist: TO) and no fouls in 40 minutes. Maybe she was too tired to wack the other team around a bit. Didn’t seem like a ball of energy either – it was like she was trying to just get through/survive this one. Most of the team seemed to take the same queue.

NM’s shots did look ugly, and she needs to at least go 1-3 at the three point line and hit her layups – looked like she was bumped on one – but still needs to hit them.

But, NM was not the only one… AE struggled finishing at the rim and Dorka missed some as well. Dorka still had a pretty good game, missing not withstanding – she got us some tough offensive rebounds. After the first 5 minutes or so, it seemed like AE took only 4 shots the rest of the game (or close to that anyway).

Great game from Lou and CD on the offensive end. Lou starting to get to the bucket on the 3 pt overplay by the defense. CD had 7 rebounds and has a knack for chasing down the long rebound. She reads the ball coming of the rim very well. By contrast, yanna does not..if the ball doesn’t drop right down, she seems to need a second more to determine where it is going off the rim. I think she struggles seeing the ball off the rim.

CD with 5 more turnovers…this has not gotten better since she has been here. She is prone to turnovers. CD did save a couple balls though, giving us two additional possessions. She has a very short and very quick release on her shot. Just find her and get her the ball and hopefully soon she will settle into a 40% success rate.

Now for some well-deserved rest I hope and some reinforcements from Azzi Fudd and AG to help us.
Shots usually hit the front of the rim because the shooter’s legs are tired. Aaliyah had a few front-rimmers in the fourth quarter. I think the team burned itself out against Creighton on the road a few days ago.

Reaction Score
Marquette used the strategy that is best at slowing down and even beating UConn. Make UConn run offense. This has been true for the last 5-6 seasons. Only 3 fast break points in the game. More turnovers than assists. Luckily the defense was good otherwise this could have easily been a loss. This is the strategy I would use if I were coaching any of the other Big East teams.

As far as in-game fatigue goes, I think Geno only used 2 of his timeouts. You can't take them with you. Might as well use them.

Reaction Score
Agree with most, the team looked tired, both mentally and physically. Getting Aubrey back will help as her athleticism and energy she brings, especially on D - is sorely missed. Adding Azzi on top will hopefully be like icing on the cake!

It looks like Patterson will be glued to the bench when these two come back.
Adding Azzie's ball handling /penetration will be a major step forward. Griffin adds defensive skills few can match. Our steals have gone down a lot recently. Nika is doing double duty and must be exhausted.

My New Year's wish is for better team health and growth for our bench. The bench needs to step up. They have been given starter minutes and serious game time experience that few have experienced in the past. Five or ten quality minutes from the bench would have helped a lot recently.

Reaction Score
Caroline did carry the scoring load in the second half. Our bigs offense was bottled up inside but they did a good job rebounding especially in the second half. We needed one more player scoring in the mid-teens and it would have been a blow-out. Marquette had a great slow down game plan and kept the action close. They played with bench depth, we didn't. We played to their clock perhaps with a lack of bench depth.

With transfer rules and injuries our program needs to examine the numbers of players carried to address the short bench issues that we have struggled with in recent years. Most college teams have better players today and transfers have added depth to the top tier. We have adjusted some also. Enough? The game is changing and moving toward the men's game IMO.

Reaction Score
Don't tell Geno that. Did you hear what he said after the game?:confused:
Yes Caroline is a slow start this year - her offense is coming back faster than her defense. However, last year she proved that with her length she is a matchup nightmare for both offense and defense against other teams guards. She blocked a lot of passes and was a great rim protector (against guards) proven last year. With her build, she will be a great defender, the next think she should work on with more prowess.

Reaction Score
Don't hear you talking about her 5 T/O vs 2 assists, bet if it was Nika it would be different.
Someone is complimenting one player and you use that to put down said player to uplift another (Nika). They’re all on the same team. No need to pit one against the other. Every player had holes in their game, including BOTH caroline and nika.

Reaction Score
Through my “life” in basketball the three coaches I admire(d) the most were Al McGuire, Bobby Knight, and Geno Auriemma. One constant among all three was to look at the game far beyond scoring, look at what players do other than scoring to contribute to a winning team.
On offense, look at movement without the ball, setting picks, keeping the ball moving, understanding the pass before the assist pass can be just as important in scoring the ball.
On defense, do they understand the importance of staying in front of the player they are covering thereby preventing unproductive rotations by diving for steals; do they understand and apply help concepts, do they box out.
Like most fans, the focus of many here is on scoring, in both heaping praise and applying criticism. One example of my admiration for a player was for Edwards yesterday. She had a very impressive string of 20 point games yet it obviously meant little to nothing to her, exemplified by her taking only 8 shots. By understanding that Marquette was hell bent on focusing on her, she did all the “other” things to make a major contribution to a hard fought win. Maybe beating a dead horse, but those are the games I respect just as much, maybe more, than the 25 point ones. It shows winning is the only goal, as very well it should be.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Geno just stated what I have said repeatedly when people were discussing a potential starting line-up. At this time, and with the players available, we have nobody coming off the bench that can make a difference. This is why, once we get Azzi and Aubry back, Caroline will not start, as she is the player coming off the bench that can invigorate the team and score enough that the team will not suffer when sitting our other shooters down. Yesterday he had no option than to play the starters too many minutes. Ayanna did nothing, Amari not much, Ines, injured. We have a very talented team, but for us to really compete with the other top dogs this year, we need all our players available. Caroline looked great, Azzi coming back, and our newest Ace, Lou, playing like she belongs, we have the team that we envisioned early on. We can do it, and with Gods grace, the injuries will stop, and if that happens, we will be in great shape to take on all comers. Looking forward to part 2 of our season, and of course, Go Huskies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno just stated what I have said repeatedly when people were discussing a potential starting line-up. At this time, and with the players available, we have nobody coming off the bench that can make a difference. This is why, once we get Azzi and Aubry back, Caroline will not start, as she is the player coming off the bench that can invigorate the team and score enough that the team will not suffer when sitting our other shooters down. Yesterday he had no option than to play the starters too many minutes. Ayanna did nothing, Amari not much, Ines, injured. We have a very talented team, but for us to really compete with the other top dogs this year, we need all our players available. Caroline looked great, Azzi coming back, and our newest Ace, Lou, playing like she belongs, we have the team that we envisioned early on. We can do it, and with Gods grace, the injuries will stop, and if that happens, we will be in great shape to take on all comers. Looking forward to part 2 of our season, and of course, Go Huskies.
In the post game presser, Geno said he likes to bring a scorer off the bench but with the injuries, there was no scorer off the bench available yesterday. He had to stay with the players most likely to get points

Reaction Score
After watching this game again, have to give credit to Marquette's coach, Megan Duffy. Even with the short UConn bench, to take away the Huskie's 3-point and inside games and hold them to 61 points was quite an accomplishment. This year's team has several skills past Huskie teams didn't have including the ability to drive to the basket and a solid mid-range shooting game. Otherwise, result could have been different. The ability of the Big East teams to attract top level coaching talent such as Duffy, Flanery, Bruno, etc. has an indirect benefit to UConn due to the better strength of schedule of the league.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
After watching this game again, have to give credit to Marquette's coach, Megan Duffy. Even with the short UConn bench, to take away the Husky's 3-point and inside games and hold them to 61 points was quite an accomplishment. This year's team has several skills past Husky teams didn't have including the ability to drive to the basket and a solid mid-range shooting game. Otherwise, result could have been different. The ability of the Big East teams to attract top level coaching talent such as Duffy, Flanery, Bruno, etc. has an indirect benefit to UConn due to the better strength of schedule of the league.
When she gets a couple game changers, Duffy and her Marquette squad could be a scary good team. As it is, Marquette has given several really good teams some bad moments

Reaction Score
I completely agree. So often you'll see a star player just start forcing things and make some really bad decisions to get their "numbers". She didn't. Marquette was focused on her so she just adjusted, pulled them in, and then opened things up for Lou and Caroline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rawdawg35

Top Bottom