UConn makes a strong statement | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn makes a strong statement

Reaction Score
Is the rest of college football cancelling their season because UConn lost a few games off their schedule, or do those other schools have another reason?
My point remains. We cancelled because we lost all but a few games so there was essentially no season left. I saw the MAC Schools cancelled ALL fall sports which is the right move. UConn only apparently cares about the well being of the football student athletes. Not to rehash this again but the statements from the school were all about wanting to protect kids and keeping them safe. Same concern doesn’t apply to volleyball, field hockey, soccer, etc.? And, if we were in the ACC or Big Ten we would not have been out there cancelling the season at this point.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m not totally convinced of that. Who is paying big money for a 16 Team basketball tournament? Just as one example. Because any more than that and you have an nba situation with losing teams making the tournament. And in other sports will people really want to watch a hockey tournament with BC and the six Big 10 teams and Arizona State? There are some really good “mid” major baseball programs. If the NCAA had the guts, and Mark doesn’t, and stood up to the P5 with a leave or stay under our rules, my guess is the P5 would grouse but ultimately back down.
Why would be be limited to 16 teams? You could easily do a 32 team one. Take the top half of the teams, in essence. Who would pay for it? Same people who do now. Fans to a small extent but it would be mostly media money. Right now that pays for all of the NCAA's overhead. It would be a windfall to the P5.

Reaction Score
Does anyone who read my reply think I was referring to indoor sunshine and weather? Weather has very little if anything to do with the reasons fewer people are infected outdoors than indoors.
Tom, think about what weather or more precisely, the elements can do outdoors to a flu virus. Stiff breezes, UV radiation, lack of moisture (at least this time of year), huge temperature swings (105 degrees at 3pm and 75 degrees or lower depending on if in the high desert or the Everglades). A stiff 20mph breeze is much more efficient at dispersing and dispatching a flu virus than any HVAC system on the market, and that's only if someone (maybe 1 in 100 has it). The big killer however is ultraviolet radiation. Flu Viruses did not evolve to survive outside a human body for very long, though they will live quite a bit longer indoors. They evolved to survive in an environment with tons of moisture, constant temps close to 98.6, no UV radiation, low levels of salt, etc. They can survive indoors for short periods but outside it's usually instant death for many reasons. Keep in mind I'm talking flu viruses, not other types, and they have had a profound effect on the evolution of plant and animal life on our planet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you have any data to back your claim that the number of people infected in these places is "close to zero?"
Yes, I'm retired now, but in working for my company was involved in health care research partnering with Pfizer, Bristol Myers, and J&J. Trust I know what I'm talking about, I'm not an ambulance driver.

Reaction Score
Yes, I'm retired now, but in working for my company was involved in health care research partnering with Pfizer, Bristol Myers, and J&J. Trust I know what I'm talking about, I'm not an ambulance driver.
Before, people were saying heat would suppress the virus. How did that work out?

Reaction Score
Before, people were saying heat would suppress the virus. How did that work out?
I don't mean to sound snarky but of course it will, why do you think people get a temperature when they get the flu? But then again, cold can suppress the virus as well. It's all a matter of degree, in the natural world everything is relative.

Reaction Score
Short UV wavelengths easily pass through clouds and rain, while much longer infrared wavelengths do not. Infrared radiation actually bounces off clouds while UV wavelengths do not. It's the reason it doesn't get as cold on a cloudy night vs if the stars are out. The suns full spectrum heats up the Earth's surface during the day whether it's clear or cloudy and the Earth's surface reradiates that energy back to space at night in the form of infrared, but only if there are not any nighttime clouds. You have more of a chance dieing from Covid19 staying cooped up in your stupid house loaded with warmth, moisture, and lots of surface area (to keep the little buggers healthy), watching the damn game than the kids in a pile on the goal line. Also I guess you have not heard that the newest helmets have a tight fitting built in mask. I'm sorry I'm so stupid. Have a nice day Lefty.
I’ll make sure to put on sunscreen on those cloudy nights

Reaction Score
Yes, I did play football. The point I'm making is football, unlike basketball, is an outdoor sport played and practiced in the Fall, where the Covid 19 virus is subjected to things that make it very hard for the virus to infect anyone, colder temperatures, ultraviolet radiation, wind and rain. I can guarantee you the number of people in CT who have contracted the disease while running or taking a walk in the woods is zero while the number of people involved in any sporting activity played and or practiced indoors is not. A virus spreads by infecting a host and making copies of itself in that host, outside exposed to the elements a virus has an extremely tough time surviving just as people do.
Everyone has been playing basketball all summer, haven't heard about any spread. College hoops should either plan for conference bubbles or a Spring season.

Reaction Score
If anyone wants to get Covid 19 I suggest going to your local YMCA gym for a basketball pickup game.
Or, unlike the NHL in healthier Canada or even the cocooned MLS and NBA teams, hang out in close proximity in MLB or gridiron locker rooms, video rooms, weight rooms, position meeting rooms, team mess hall, team study halls, team entertainment rooms, travel hotels, etc. That could work out well. ;) /s

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Basketball is much more friendly to the Covid 19 virus than football is.
@huskrob1 SARS-2 infection rate for hoops vs gridiron: Per capita? Idle speculative-opinion, or what is the specific respected-source of such science-based fact?

Unrelated topic, how well was SARS-2 suppressed by the cold winter temps of Japan, Iran, mainland China, Italy, Belgium, France, Scandinavia, Tri-state, MA, MI, now South America, etc? Was it the cold, or culturally-accepted and/or reasonable adaption of masks, social distancing, hygiene, other? What are the specific respected science research sources and health care delivery sources you cite supporting SARS-2 viral suppression due to cold temps?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Everyone has been playing basketball all summer, haven't heard about any spread. College hoops should either plan for conference bubbles or a Spring season.
Yeah. They should probably lock the players in the Practice facility with armed guards so superjohn doesn’t have to miss the big UConn DePaul game. Just guessing but I suspect basketball might be back in January with an abbreviated schedule if there is a vaccine

Reaction Score
Yeah, except it would kind a be the opposite. The rest of the NCAA would be out of the P5 championships. People tend to focus on the highest level of collegiate competition.
They'll be underpaid semi-pro players... how long with that be sustainable?

Reaction Score
Yeah. They should probably lock the players in the Practice facility with armed guards so superjohn doesn’t have to miss the big UConn DePaul game. Just guessing but I suspect basketball might be back in January with an abbreviated schedule if there is a vaccine
Fauci just said on the news (ABC) that there's a very good chance that there will be a vaccine by the end of the year. That would be a game changer for college sports, an abbreviated basketball season and maybe even spring football scrimmages.

Reaction Score
SARs-2 infection rate for hoops vs gridiron: Per capita?
Idle speculative-opinion, or what is the specific respected-source of such science-based fact?

Unrelated topic, how well was SARS-2 suppressed by the cold winter temps of Japan, Iran, mainland China, Italy, Belgium, France, Scandinavia, Tri-state, MA, MI, now South America, etc? Was it the cold, or culturally-accepted and/or reasonable adaption of masks, social distancing, hygiene, other? What are the specific respected science research sources and health care delivery sources you cite supporting SARS-2 viral suppression due to cold temps?
Yes it is science based fact, however I cannot comment beyond that. When I retired from my research position last year, I signed several non-disclosure agreements.

Reaction Score
Why would be be limited to 16 teams? You could easily do a 32 team one. Take the top half of the teams, in essence. Who would pay for it? Same people who do now. Fans to a small extent but it would be mostly media money. Right now that pays for all of the NCAA's overhead. It would be a windfall to the P5.
People watch for 3 reasons Big hoop fans which is the smallest group. People who watch name brands and people who love the David v Goliath games. But Boston College vs Kentucky isn’t the same as UMBC or Vermont or somebody. And if you go to 32 teams you have half the field with losing records. That would especially be the case if they stopped playing non p5s.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
People watch for 3 reasons Big hoop fans which is the smallest group. People who watch name brands and people who love the David v Goliath games. But Boston College vs Kentucky isn’t the same as UMBC or Vermont or somebody. And if you go to 32 teams you have half the field with losing records. That would especially be the case if they stopped playing non p5s.
So you feel that less than 1/2 of teams would go .500? If that’s the case since they are playing a top seed they will be out in the first round. How is that different than a 1/16 match up today?

Reaction Score
Interesting the difference in cultures.
Germany gets an uptick in daily infections (to just over 1000 in a day for the first time since May 7) and the health ministers immediately respond and block fans from Bundesliga matches. We take this seriously here.
Fans blocked from Bundesliga

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Interesting the difference in cultures.
Germany gets an uptick in daily infections (to just over 1000 in a day for the first time since May 7) and the health ministers immediately respond and block fans from Bundesliga matches. We take this seriously here.
Fans blocked from Bundesliga

Sacrifice a lot for a little bit and get a big reward later. That's the smart play.

But here, if I can't go to TGI Friday's then WWII was fought for NOTHING so we won't take necessary steps and will never get on top of it.

Reaction Score
Sacrifice a lot for a little bit and get a big reward later. That's the smart play.

But here, if I can't go to TGI Friday's then WWII was fought for NOTHING so we won't take necessary steps and will never get on top of it.
Yeah, I wasn't too hot to go to the matches this year anyway. The proposal was 25% capacity, no beer, no away fans, personalized tickets, and regulated stadium entry times.

I would much rather sit home in my garden and watch the game on Sky with Hefeweizen direct from the tap. ;)

The biggest difference is that no one here is losing the minds over it (yet). No cries of oppression or government control or anything like that. Just deal with it, hope for the best, and make some lemonade.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah, I wasn't too hot to go to the matches this year anyway. The proposal was 25% capacity, no beer, no away fans, personalized tickets, and regulated stadium entry times.
While it's not as good as a big crowd, Hartford Athletic games have still been fun for me and I don't feel unsafe. I'm just happy to get out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom