UConn left off Bilas' list of top national title contenders | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn left off Bilas' list of top national title contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not enough talent on the floor fellas - no reason to get chippy about ESPN, yada, blah, blah. Amazing how fan boards react when they feel their team is shorted. Bilas knows his stuff - it has nothing to do with performance thus far. This team is a ball to watch, they have some fun players, but they don't have the manpower to win a NC. The front court is still incredibly soft and you can't expect Nappier to put this team on his back every game in March. He's a nice player, but he's not that player. We know what we have with the personnel - no one is going to emerge off the bench and become a miracle sleeper, no one is going to develop into a lottery pick. Enjoy the year, but set the expectations properly. Hell, maybe this is a team that can get hot when it matters and pull off a win or two that we don't expect, but it remains a very flawed team that will struggle when it's facing the upper echelon/hyper talent.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Not enough talent on the floor fellas - no reason to get chippy about ESPN, yada, blah, blah. Amazing how fan boards react when they feel their team is shorted. Bilas knows his stuff - it has nothing to do with performance thus far. This team is a ball to watch, they have some fun players, but they don't have the manpower to win a NC. The front court is still incredibly soft and you can't expect Nappier to put this team on his back every game in March. He's a nice player, but he's not that player. We know what we have with the personnel - no one is going to emerge off the bench and become a miracle sleeper, no one is going to develop into a lottery pick. Enjoy the year, but set the expectations properly. Hell, maybe this is a team that can get hot when it matters and pull off a win or two that we don't expect, but it remains a very flawed team that will struggle when it's facing the upper echelon/hyper talent.
Not sure if people saw this, but get ready to feel the hatred.

But I agree. Team is missing crucial pieces to win in March. We're playing great now, but I don't know how much better we'll get because our bigs are atrocious. It puts too much pressure on the guards. And teams recognize this.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
after the second half tonight - who are we to argue?

Reaction Score
To be honest, I really don't have a problem with him not listing us as a contender per say. But the fact that he has an honorable mention list and intentionally leaves off a top 10 ranked team that is undefeated from even the honorable mentions list?

Almost seems like an insult to me.
So now that "the Cardinal" ate our God Damned lunch and made us look like in the process, do you feel a little less insulted? Because I saw a lot of things tonight, but one of them sure wasn't "one of the top 15 teams most likely to win the NC in March."

Reaction Score
When that happens I'll believe it. Omar hasn't found his stroke yet and Boat is just getting hot now. I expect we will shoot well over 40% from 3 all year. . . . I'm not saying this team will get to the final four, I'm not saying they don't have glaring weaknesses, but saying they don't have a chance just shows you haven't been paying attention.
Onions - you're now eating your words. Somebody hasn't been paying attention, but it wasn't me.
If you watched tonight's game and still stick by your words, then I'm not sure what to say.

Fact is, the 11 team had 9 losses, out of which SIX were to top 25 teams.

You made a heart-felt argument about how great we shoot the 3 and how that is why this team is blah blah fricken blah.

You have egg on your face.

Wipe it off, clean up, and acknowledge that your argument just got blown out of the water.

If nothing else, tonight demonstrated exceptionally clearly that Bilas' opinion wasn't a snub at all, but rather a measured, balanced consideration of where we are at.

He was right. You were wrong.

Now we need to fix it.

Reaction Score
I think he saw that Stanford game before we did.
It's an insider thing, but here's the list

1. Arizona
2. Louisville
3. Syracuse
4. Mich State
5. Florida
6. Duke
7. Wisconsin
8. Ok State

Honorable Mentions: Ohio State, Kansas, Kentucky, Gonzaga, Oregon, Wichita State, and Iowa

My reaction:

Jay-Bilas.jpg

Come on Bilas, I love ya but you gotta be kidding me with the Shockers and Hawkeyes on there over the 3-time king Huskies.

You're better than that, Bilas. You'll do better next time out.

Reaction Score
So now that "the Cardinal" ate our God Damned lunch and made us look like in the process, do you feel a little less insulted? Because I saw a lot of things tonight, but one of them sure wasn't "one of the top 15 teams most likely to win the NC in March."

Insulted no, but there's no reason to believe they can't get hot and win it. They did beat #5 on Bilas' list already. One lackluster performance doesn't ruin the entire season.

There are a lot of quality teams he left off. Look at UNC, sure they're 7-3 and lost some stinkers to Belmont and UAB. But they also have wins over Mich St and the squid.

Point being {Calhounism} it's an article with an opinion. There are a lot more teams that are not on his list that can certainly win it all. I guarantee we wouldn't have been on his list in '11.

Reaction Score
We're shooting 46% from 3 this year but you think that doesn't make us a tittle contender? In case you can't do the math that's like shooting 69% from 2. It's why we can still win with our play at the center position.

Several people in this thread gave Bilas some awful for leaving us off the list of potential NC contenders.

After last night, anybody want to acknowledge that the guy was doing his job and doing his job well? Without homer goggles, Bilas was able to analyze our team and assess our strengths and weaknesses, with his conclusion being that we were not a title contender.

Here we are, a mere 14 days later, and we've just lost to a depleted Houston team in front of several hundred people in an empty stadium.

Bilas is very good. He does his job well. Neither he nor anybody else is losing it, selling out, or a caricature simply because he's picking against us. Particularly this year.

Bilas gets props. He saw our issues. It's up to us to fix them. We either will or we won't. He'll give us props if we do. Until then, Bilas understands perfectly that's it's exceedingly difficult to win with a Nolan/Brimah/TO center position, a feckless Calhoun, an unsteady Boat, and a seemingly uncommitted Daniels.

Respect to Mr. Bilas. We're not a title contender at this time, and it was a very good call on his part to see that our breach of the top 10 was an anomaly, and not a reflection of our play.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I didn't reply to this discussion, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a final four, by catching some form of lightening in a bottle. They would have to fix a bunch of things as Strummer noted, given the lack of dependable center. It doesn't look likely now, but many of us didn't think the Huskies of '11 would get where they did, right before the MSG tournament began (game 1 vs Depaul). We didn't know Lamb would emerge, and Oriakhi would put together the consistency in the post-season. So, if DD can find his consistency, they run some plays for NG, Calhoun gets hot at the right time, and the team can rebound with some toughness (Facey? - remember Marcus White emergence?) then there is always a chance.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It all comes down to match-ups in the NCAAs. This team could make a final four or lose a first-round game, or anything in between, depending on the draw.

Reaction Score
It all comes down to match-ups in the NCAAs. This team could make a final four or lose a first-round game, or anything in between, depending on the draw.

Hate to say this 8893 you're right for sure, but they also proved they could come up short on the NCAA's.

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn is very likely to be in the national championship conversation this year. Especially not now, with our play as of late.

But back when I made this thread we were undefeated and it was very early on in the season, so all of our warts could be chalked up to us simply not being in top form. My argument was mainly that if you're going to give Iowa and Wichita State honorable mentions, we should get an honorable mention as an outside chance too.

I still believe that at the time we should've been included. If the article were written today, obviously we shouldn't be.

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn is very likely to be in the national championship conversation this year. Especially not now, with our play as of late.

But back when I made this thread we were undefeated and it was very early on in the season, so all of our warts could be chalked up to us simply not being in top form. My argument was mainly that if you're going to give Iowa and Wichita State honorable mentions, we should get an honorable mention as an outside chance too.

I still believe that at the time we should've been included. If the article were written today, obviously we shouldn't be.

You had a reason to believe we should but I think now you are seeing why many believe we are just on the outside of the conversation. All good…………

They don't have to be FF they just need to play hard for 2 halves and be the best they can be……….

Reaction Score
My argument was mainly that if you're going to give Iowa and Wichita State honorable mentions, we should get an honorable mention as an outside chance too.
I recognize I'm beating a dead horse here, but as my Father always said, "a man's gotta beat something now and again or he'll go mad."
I respectfully retort with this:

I believe you're missing the point. Your argument is, I believe, "Iowa and Wichita State hadn't shown anything more than we had, so if THEY got the honorable mention nod, then WE should have got one too."

Here's the problem with your argument - it assumes as true that Bilas was only looking at records. He was most certainly not. He was looking at the performances behind the records and the talent underpinning the records. Clearly his conclusion was that the two teams that you mentioned had better performances and/or better talent at the time he made his conclusions.

And how has he done?

Since he made the prediction, the Shockers have won 4 in a row handily with an average margin of victory of 10 and they are undefeated. Iowa has won two in a row handily by an average margin of about 12 and have a record of 12 and 2. Their only two losses are to current #11 and current #13, one by 3 points and one in OT. Most of their wins were handily won, with several substantial blowouts.

And how have we done? We are 2 and 2, with a decent road win, a home win against a cupcake, a bad home loss against Stanford, and a super bad road loss against an in conference weak sister.

Prior to that piss weak showing? A 1 point nail biter over Maryland, a 2 point squeaker over BC, a 1 point prayer over Indiana, and a 1 point shaver over Florida.

Can this be any clearer? Is there any more evidence required? People. This is not hard. And it's okay to be wrong.

Bilas was not only right, he was dead right. He unemotionally, unbiasedly saw that our record was dodgey and our talent was iffy, and since he made that prediction, we have, through our horrid showings, substantiated his prognostication, as have Iowa and Wichita.

Your argument that - at the time - we were a bad omission on his part is exactly, 180 degrees wrong. Our omission on his part was brilliant. While the hacks and no-nothings were busy ranking us at 10 based on our misleading record, he applied his incisive basketball acumen to brilliantly foresee the separate paths of three teams.

Which is why he's Jay Bilas and you're not.

Reaction Score

The lack of respect for teams like Iowa and WSU on this board is ridiculous. Both those teams are better then we are, stop simply looking at what the front of the jersey says.

Bilas job is to project that is what he did, that is why at the time he is proving to be right and you are proving to be wrong.

Reaction Score
I hate to be a debbie downer....but based on what Bilas has seen to date....there is not a whole lot to like about this team so far. Blowing a huge lead to an average UMD team, struggling with a less than top notch IU team, closer games than they should have been with BC and Yale. And two losses to teams - one of which is considered a fringe NCAA team and the other likely a NIT team.

Take out the UF victory and we are who they think we are.....

I am not saying we can not make a run but our resume and the way we have played Bilas would be a moron for picking this team at this point in the season as a national title contender......

Reaction Score
Guys c'mon.......Bilas doesn't pick us and now he's a "network guy"??

He has a point and our Huskies have something to prove I agree with him. Every one of those teams mentioned could beat us right? Then who cares about this, the rankings and all that crap.......let's play the games and see what happens. I still think Bilas is the best and 2nd place isn't too close, I could care less that he didn't put us on any list - he's proven to like the Huskies in the past!
I agree with you. Bilas has no reason to pick us now. We just have not played well. I have always liked the Sagarin ratings because they are based on results and not on someone's opinion. According to their ratings, we are 37 and I think that is reasonable based on our play.....so far. We have won a couple of games that could have gone either way and we have lost to two teams - Stanford ranked 62 and Houston ranked 168. Interestingly, Southern Methodist should win by two according to the Sagarin system.

I think we will get better and I have a lot of confidence in coach Ollie. But this team is not overloaded with talent (especially in the front court) and as good as Shabazz is, he is no Kemba.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Same could be said about the UCONN women not having a chance last year. They had no big to stop Britney Griner...that's the great thing about the NCAA tournament - it's all about match-ups and UCONN never had to worry about big ole Baylor.
In WCBB, we had the second best center in the country. I think Nolan is only the 3rd best in MCBB ;^)

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
In WCBB, we had the second best center in the country. I think Nolan is only the 3rd best in MCBB ;^)
This is where any argument about the women's team falls apart. I'll root for them all day, but come on. If you give most coaches a -- or the -- top recruiting class every year, and make them stay four years, you'll probably be in good shape.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This is where any argument about the women's team falls apart. I'll root for them all day, but come one. If you give most coaches a -- or the -- top recruiting class every year, and make them stay four years, you'll probably be in good shape.

They also have the best power forward in the country too (yes sometimes she plays small forward). She might even be the best player in the country.
Then they have one of the top 4 players in the country at small foward/guard.

The comparisons are ridiculous.

The women are practically the Harlem Globetrotters this year.

Reaction Score
They also have the best power forward in the country too (yes sometimes she plays small forward). She might even be the best player in the country.
Then they have one of the top 4 players in the country at small foward/guard.

The comparisons are ridiculous.

The women are practically the Harlem Globetrotters this year.
And we like it that way. The UConn way!

Reaction Score
If we make it to the sweet16 I think we have had a good season. Beyond that we are dreaming. We have holes in the middle and a great shooter who doesn't get the ball. We sure can dribble dribble dribble, but that means we have 4 other guys standing around. The ball needs to move via the pass not the dribble.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I imagine Bilas spent 1% the time crafting his list as you guys have spent arguing about it.

If there is one thing the world should know by 2014 is that sports predictions are worthless. There are thousands of pundits spitting out a nearly infinite supply of guesses.

Why does anyone care what Jay Bilas thinks? Last I checked they don't play the games in Jay Bilas' head.

It's the NCAA tourney - everyone can get beat and 40 or so teams have enough to get hot and make a run. Trying to solve March based on how teams play in December may have worked 15-20 years ago when really good teams dominated from wire to wire - those days are over. Now it's get the best seed you can, hope the matchups work out for you and try to get hot at the right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom