UConn left off Bilas' list of top national title contenders | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn left off Bilas' list of top national title contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think you're probably giving him too much credit. Bilas is becoming more of an ESPN personality than a guy who puts in the work to know what he's talking about.

WOW- really weird, a friend and I were just talking about over the weekend. He has become more Dicky V like and becoming a rooter for the popular choices rather than disagree with reason. He has become a good ole network guy. Time to find a new realist.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Guard play maters so much in March; ESP this year. Bilas' top 5 I have no problem with. The rest is garbage.
Guards that stay out of foul trouble and don't lose their head are the main reason why teams win in the dance. Big Guys are a bonus but they all tend to get in foul trouble because that's what coaches try to do - its easier than forcing fouls on guards

Reaction Score
lfYRgU5.jpg

Reaction Score
Iowa and witichita st are both really good
I would bet every dollar I have that neither Iowa nor Wichita State wins the national title this year. I would not make that bet against UConn.

Reaction Score
Guys c'mon.......Bilas doesn't pick us and now he's a "network guy"??

He has a point and our Huskies have something to prove I agree with him. Every one of those teams mentioned could beat us right? Then who cares about this, the rankings and all that crap.......let's play the games and see what happens. I still think Bilas is the best and 2nd place isn't too close, I could care less that he didn't put us on any list - he's proven to like the Huskies in the past!

Reaction Score
I don't really care about the list. I don't think you can deny that some of the teams they've beaten have proved to not be all that good. I just can't listen to Bilas repeat the same four or five talking points about the same handful of guys over and over again and not think that he's taken a step back in terms of the actual "insight" he offers.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's a wonder that there are very, very few good analysts out there, given the size of the MCBB market. The best are probably regional guys here or there, but I can't come up with someone of whom I think, "I've got to hear what this guy says about..."

Reaction Score
It's a wonder that there are very, very few good analysts out there, given the size of the MCBB market. The best are probably regional guys here or there, but I can't come up with someone of whom I think, "I've got to hear what this guy says about..."

I know this is heresy, but in terms of actually offering some insight once in a while, you could do a lot worse than Gottlieb.

Reaction Score
The only top 25 team we've beaten is Florida. We beat them by 1. At home. With them missing key players. And we needed a 4 point play on a questionable foul call to do it. And a last 4/10ths of a second shot to win it.
In 11, while we had losses, we had the components to make a run - great point, very serviceable big man, excellent back up point, great defenders all around, excellent rebounding 4 (miss you Scoe), veteran leader (Bev!). Point is, we looked VERY good on paper, even if we had 9 or 10 losses.

1. - We beat Florida. Period. Patrick Young had the greatest game of his life and we still beat them. Look it up in the record books -- I don't see an asterisk next to the win because of crappy foul calls, which happen in every game to every team. Never apologize for a win.

2.- This team is miles ahead of the '11 team in terms of projecting a national championship. There was a reason everyone thought that season was a miracle. They were all underclassmen, they shot 33% from 3, the only player that shot 40% from 3 was Bev and he only made seven 3's all year. We had nothing like Kromah or Giffey coming off the bench -- Bev, your veteran leader, averaged about 8 minutes and less than 2 points a game. One of the big issues on this year's team is finding minutes for players, on the '11 team the issue was finding someone other than Kemba who could play. Other than Kemba only Lamb averaged double digit scoring. To think that this year's team isn't a better bet to win a championship is totally revisionist history. This year's team shoots 3's and defends the 3, and if they don't turn the ball over and Bazz is Bazz, they will win a lot of games. In March.

Reaction Score
1. - We beat Florida. Period. Patrick Young had the greatest game of his life and we still beat them . . . .

2.- This team is miles ahead of the '11 team in terms of projecting a national championship. There was a reason everyone thought that season was a miracle. They were all underclassmen, they shot 33% from 3, the only player that shot 40% from 3 was Bev and he only made seven 3's all year. We had nothing like Kromah or Giffey coming off the bench -- Bev, your veteran leader, averaged about 8 minutes and less than 2 points a game. . . . To think that this year's team isn't a better bet to win a championship is totally revisionist history.

1. Patrick Young had the "greatest game of his life" because our centers suck so bad. Is that not obvious? Is that not as plain as can be? Is that not a verification of the theory that this team has a giant hole that likely makes it impossible for it to advance to the finals? Do you have any doubt in your mind that any competent big men are going to eat our lunches this year? Even incompetent ones.

2. Your points here all all off.

They weren't all underclassman. Okwandu - a critical puzzle piece, was a senior. Bev - a very important team leader, was a senior. Kemba was a Junior. Sure, the team was young, which made the run more unlikely, but age wasn't the critical factor.

Shooting from 3 wasn't a critical factor. So what we shot 33% from 3? That's equivalent to 50% from 2.

We had nothing like Kromah or Giffey coming off the bench? We, in fact, HAD Giffey coming off the bench. Sure, not senior year Giffey, but we had dependable bench play (Bev, Bazz, Okwandu, Giffey).

I'm not revising anything. 2011 was a great run, but we had a complete team with talent at the critical positions - great point guard with a very good back up, very good big man to defend and rebound and a good back up, excellent shooting guard, and so on.

We have a major hole in our team this year. Center.

It's the elephant in the room. CENTER.

We have very close to ZERO talent at the center position.

Look at it this way . . .

Oriakhi, Okwandu, and Wolf combined for about 14 points and 13 boards a game in 2011.

Olander, Nolan, and Brimah are going for about 8 and 5 a game, and that's mostly through cupcake season.

Further, ONB are a defensive liability for the most part, whereas OOW provided serviceable defense.

The conclusion is straight forward - the 3 point magic will wane when we play stiff competition who will not give us quite as many open 3s, and our relatively poor rebounding and center play will make overcoming the dip in 3 point shooting challenging, to say the least.

Tough not to have the homer goggles at 9-0, I know, but I hope that Nolan can turn it on, as I view him as the guy who can make the difference between a sweet 16 and final 4. Brimah is too raw, Olander is too unathletic, and Facey is too skinny.

The only way I see us threatening a NC run is if Nolan can get to 8 and 8 a game, or thereabouts.

It can happen. Lamb sure made a rapid ascent in 2011.

But there is zero doubt in my mind that a NC run this year will be much, much more unlikely than 2011.

I guess I agree with Jay - barring a major change in one or more of our players, I just don't think we have the right distribution of talent on the team to go deep.

Reaction Score
1. Patrick Young had the "greatest game of his life" because our centers suck so bad. Is that not obvious? Is that not as plain as can be? Is that not a verification of the theory that this team has a giant hole that likely makes it impossible for it to advance to the finals? Do you have any doubt in your mind that any competent big men are going to eat our lunches this year? Even incompetent ones.

2. Your points here all all off.

They weren't all underclassman. Okwandu - a critical puzzle piece, was a senior. Bev - a very important team leader, was a senior. Kemba was a Junior. Sure, the team was young, which made the run more unlikely, but age wasn't the critical factor.

Shooting from 3 wasn't a critical factor. So what we shot 33% from 3? That's equivalent to 50% from 2.

We had nothing like Kromah or Giffey coming off the bench? We, in fact, HAD Giffey coming off the bench. Sure, not senior year Giffey, but we had dependable bench play (Bev, Bazz, Okwandu, Giffey).

I'm not revising anything. 2011 was a great run, but we had a complete team with talent at the critical positions - great point guard with a very good back up, very good big man to defend and rebound and a good back up, excellent shooting guard, and so on.

We have a major hole in our team this year. Center.

It's the elephant in the room. CENTER.

We have very close to ZERO talent at the center position.

Look at it this way . . .

Oriakhi, Okwandu, and Wolf combined for about 14 points and 13 boards a game in 2011.

Olander, Nolan, and Brimah are going for about 8 and 5 a game, and that's mostly through cupcake season.

Further, ONB are a defensive liability for the most part, whereas OOW provided serviceable defense.

The conclusion is straight forward - the 3 point magic will wane when we play stiff competition who will not give us quite as many open 3s, and our relatively poor rebounding and center play will make overcoming the dip in 3 point shooting challenging, to say the least.

Tough not to have the homer goggles at 9-0, I know, but I hope that Nolan can turn it on, as I view him as the guy who can make the difference between a sweet 16 and final 4. Brimah is too raw, Olander is too unathletic, and Facey is too skinny.

The only way I see us threatening a NC run is if Nolan can get to 8 and 8 a game, or thereabouts.

It can happen. Lamb sure made a rapid ascent in 2011.

But there is zero doubt in my mind that a NC run this year will be much, much more unlikely than 2011.

I guess I agree with Jay - barring a major change in one or more of our players, I just don't think we have the right distribution of talent on the team to go deep.

Same could be said about the UCONN women not having a chance last year. They had no big to stop Britney Griner...that's the great thing about the NCAA tournament - it's all about match-ups and UCONN never had to worry about big ole Baylor.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It's amazing... you start winning around here and people come out of the wood work to tell you why you shouldn't be happy about it. If you want to watch blow outs every night here's a women's team I know that maybe you'd prefer... or maybe that's where the guys come from. Any one of the top 10-20 teams could win this thing.... lots of teams without compelling bigs have gone deep in the tourney. This is the state of the game.

Reaction Score
Well...I guess we just need to go 20-0 and have Bilas revisit this list.

Reaction Score
Strummer: " Patrick Young had the "greatest game of his life" because our centers suck so bad. Is that not obvious?"

And we won. Yes, our center play is weak, and yet we win. Over and over. Against teams with big front lines. Indiana, Florida -- we get outplayed at the 5 and we win. We get out rebounded -- and we win. Last year and this year. Get used to it.

"Do you have any doubt in your mind that any competent big men are going to eat our lunches this year? Even incompetent ones."

Probably true. But then we have Bazz and they don't, we are an excellent 3 point team and most big teams aren't. When we face a big team that can match us from the perimeter, then I might start being negative, but there aren't too many of those teams around.

"They weren't all underclassman. Okwandu - a critical puzzle piece, was a senior. Bev - a very important team leader, was a senior. Kemba was a Junior. Sure, the team was young, which made the run more unlikely, but age wasn't the critical factor."

Obviously I wan't talking about Kemba, I was talking about his supporting cast. Bev's impact was behind the scenes, he had no impact on the floor. Okwandu averaged 15 minutes, 2.9 points and 2.8 rebounds a game and I don't recall anyone talking about his senior leadership at the time. And age was a critical factor to those guessing what would happen before it happened.

"Shooting from 3 wasn't a critical factor. So what we shot 33% from 3? That's equivalent to 50% from 2."

We're shooting 46% from 3 this year but you think that doesn't make us a tittle contender? In case you can't do the math that's like shooting 69% from 2. It's why we can still win with our play at the center position.

"We had nothing like Kromah or Giffey coming off the bench? We, in fact, HAD Giffey coming off the bench. Sure, not senior year Giffey, but we had dependable bench play (Bev, Bazz, Okwandu, Giffey)."

Your seriously going to compare freshman Giffey to this years model, and pretend that we had anything like Kromah ?

"I'm not revising anything. 2011 was a great run, but we had a complete team with talent at the critical positions - great point guard with a very good back up, very good big man to defend and rebound and a good back up, excellent shooting guard, and so on."

Your dreaming up a team that never existed. Kemba HAD to play 38-40 minutes a night because there was no one else to go to. We prayed that Okwandu could give us 10 minutes before fouling out. On the floor Bev contributed less than what Terrence Samuels has given us so far - both minutes and points.

"We have a major hole in our team this year. Center."

Yes, that's true. If it wasn't we would be the number one seed in the country.

"The conclusion is straight forward - the 3 point magic will wane when we play stiff competition who will not give us quite as many open 3s, and our relatively poor rebounding and center play will make overcoming the dip in 3 point shooting challenging, to say the least."

When that happens I'll believe it. Omar hasn't found his stroke yet and Boat is just getting hot now. I expect we will shoot well over 40% from 3 all year.

"Tough not to have the homer goggles at 9-0, I know ... But there is zero doubt in my mind that a NC run this year will be much, much more unlikely than 2011."

Show me your posts from that season where you predicted that Kemba's team was well situated to make a title run before it happened. Everything looks certain after the fact. I'm not saying this team will get to the final four, I'm not saying they don't have glaring weaknesses, but saying they don't have a chance just shows you haven't been paying attention.

Reaction Score
I think you're probably giving him too much credit. Bilas is becoming more of an ESPN personality than a guy who puts in the work to know what he's talking about.
After how many years with ESPN, Bilas is all of a sudden becoming an ESPN personality???? I think not. Last year and many times in previous years he was highly complimentary towards UConn and actually hammered some of the longtime Dickie V favorites, showing a lot of class and balance. To say he's gone over to the dark side is a bunch of baloney. I'm not sure of his reasoning but he has more integrity than just about any other commentator in the game.

Reaction Score
And we won. Yes, our center play is weak, and yet we win. Over and over. Against teams with big front lines. . . .

Ay. Well sir, we have opposite opinions. It will be fun to watch it play out.

For the other poster - nobody is telling you not to enjoy the year. Merely offering the point that Bilas' suggestion that we are not title contenders is a rational position.

That's all. ;)

Reaction Score
Merely offering the point that Bilas' suggestion that we are not title contenders is a rational position.

To be honest, I really don't have a problem with him not listing us as a contender per say. But the fact that he has an honorable mention list and intentionally leaves off a top 10 ranked team that is undefeated from even the honorable mentions list?

Almost seems like an insult to me.

Reaction Score
To be honest, I really don't have a problem with him not listing us as a contender per say. But the fact that he has an honorable mention list and intentionally leaves off a top 10 ranked team that is undefeated from even the honorable mentions list?

Locker room material.

Reaction Score

Best watch out for those Hawkeyes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member