UConn is a Blue Blood | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn is a Blue Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm the board's resident nerd and I have no idea what's going on in this picture. Color scale for some reason? 9 years in one part and 15 in another? 9 years isn't 10 years so no not right...
m8qnbZt.jpg

Reaction Score
One Final Four in ten years. Got past the first round once in ten years. Zero conference champions, zero conference tournament champs in ten years.

Nope.

Wrong. You know how many other college teams can go by those same numbers or close. And after you figure that out let me know how they all did from 1990 to 2014?

Blue bloods we are!!!!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I can't tell for sure which people are playing along with the, uh, "troll," and which people are actually being trolled. It'd be weirder if no one was legit being trolled, but y'all were going through this exercise anyway, like some sort of ritual prayer. Or maybe you're just trying to lure fans of other teams into joining the "debate." I was going to say that board dynamics were a lot simpler back in the 1990's, but thinking about it, that might not be true either. I think it was always this way, just with UMass fans added to the mix.

Kind of a meh troll.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I love this thread
One Final Four in ten years. Got past the first round once in ten years. Zero conference champions, zero conference tournament champs in ten years.

Nope.
I'm accepting of reality, and I love that this team will be playing next Saturday.

What a delight this weekend's 4-team tournament in Las Vegas was: Gonzaga, UCLA, and Arkansas...and UConn won!

And I loved the 4-team tournament last weekend in Albany: UConn prevailing over St. Mary's, Iona, and VCU.

Next weekend in Houston should also be a good 4-team weekend tournament, with UConn and Florida Atlantic already accepting their invitation, and some intriguing possibilities for the final two slots. Very creative scheduling.

Reaction Score
Well, we’re going to win number 5 in 2023, so how the hey 5 titles would not make UConn a blue blood in this sport escapes me….

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They have 11 national titles and 19 final fours, including four in the last two decades.

If they don’t fit your definition of a blue blood, then you need a new definition.

The Tournament was so different for much of UCLA's run that it is hard to compare what they did with anything in the last 50 years or so. Still impressive, but not nearly as hard as winning a championship in the last 40 years when the field expanded to 64+ teams.

Mike9904111

99-04-11-14-23-24
Reaction Score
Some people have ridiculous standards.

A lot of people claim since we weren't winning titles 500 years ago and don't have 20 final fours we don't belong in the category.

I don't care if people consider us "new blood", "Blue blood", or whatever else... I could care less what people think of our program. We're in Final Four #6, making a push for title #5. Let the haters hate. We're tied for the 6th most titles all time. If we get 5 we'll be tied for 4th most titles all time with Duke and Indiana.

Reaction Score
The Tournament was so different for much of UCLA's run that it is hard to compare what they did with anything in the last 50 years or so. Still impressive, but not nearly as hard as winning a championship in the last 40 years when the field expanded to 64+ teams.
People forget this. In the early and mid 60s, not only did major conference champions start in the round of 16, but (i) only conference champions participated and (ii) the placement was actually by region. To get to the Final Four, UCLA’s path in many years might be Idaho State and Long Beach State. What they did was an unreal achievement, and they absolutely were the unchallenged best team in most years they won, but it’s not at all comparable to winning national championships today

Reaction Score
I can't tell for sure which people are playing along with the, uh, "troll," and which people are actually being trolled. It'd be weirder if no one was legit being trolled, but y'all were going through this exercise anyway, like some sort of ritual prayer. Or maybe you're just trying to lure fans of other teams into joining the "debate." I was going to say that board dynamics were a lot simpler back in the 1990's, but thinking about it, that might not be true either. I think it was always this way, just with UMass fans added to the mix.
Board didn't really exist until 96 or 97. Hell, internet didn't exist in 1990

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
People forget this. In the early and mid 60s, not only did major conference champions start in the round of 16, but (i) only conference champions participated and (ii) the placement was actually by region. To get to the Final Four, UCLA’s path in many years might be Idaho State and Long Beach State. What they did was an unreal achievement, and they absolutely were the unchallenged best team in most years they won, but it’s not at all comparable to winning national championships today

There were very few at-large teams in the NCAA Tournament in the 60's, and some of those teams would turn down the NCAA Tournament to play in the NIT because they wanted to go to New York City. Marquette turned down the NCAA Tournament in 1970, which actually caused a change in the rules requiring teams to go to the NCAA Tournament if they were invited. Marquette got to play Maravich's LSU team in MSG, so they probably made the right decision that year.

Reaction Score
Board didn't really exist until 96 or 97. Hell, internet didn't exist in 1990
Yep, I joined in probably the fall of 1997 some months after I got my first home PC. I wasn't sure how old the board was at that point, but figured it couldn't have been around much before 1995. The World Wide Web and web browsing weren't around until the early 1990s (1993 or 1994, I think), so message boards like this one didn't pop up until folks started adopting that technology, but the internet itself is about 20 years older than that. Not that I used anything other than my friend's dial-up BBS in the '80s.

It's amazing to me how much things have changed for UConn sports since those early days of the Boneyard. I feel so relaxed about the program now, seeing how far we've come.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That’s 8 years and 11 months.

2015 is 1 year. Then 2106-2017-2018-2019-2020-2021-2022-2023, and we are just short of mid-April. Can’t count 2014, that’s time zero.

Sorry. Math geek.
9 years + 9 months = 18
8 years +11 months = 19
18 and 19 are very close.
Can't we just call it a tie?

Reaction Score
I think that with NIL and the Transfer Portal, the era of the Blue Blood program is probably ending. Talent will be spread out, and there are a lot more FAU's and SDSU's or Creighton's making the Final 8 and Final 4 in the future.
Agree. Look at Kentucky, Duke & UNC in particular. One and done is not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom