UConn is a Blue Blood | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn is a Blue Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the Kentucky board lol

View attachment 85957

This (im?)poster needs to get their history right. ESPN was created to broadcast Australian Rules Football and Whalers games. }3

Gampell is pretty well known silly Gato. Besides, Adolph only has an arena named after him - Jim Calhoun has an entire street to honor him followed by WAY! I wonder what they'll do to idolize Geno?

Reaction Score
We are the northeast, supremely talented, tough, don’t give a %#*+ squad who beats the blue bloods in big moments. Tough PGs and superstars throughout the last 30 years

We are not relying on a different tournament structure (UCLA), a mediocre conference (Gonzaga), the GOAT repping our school (Jordan with UNC) or ONE coach (MSU, Duke) to be this great.

They can hate us for it, and good. %#^* em

On to number 5# in less than 25 years

Reaction Score
Everyone has a different definition for blue blood, so I guess it depends on how you define it (most of the Kentucky fans in that thread believed UConn was absolutely a blue blood). To me, UConn is easily one of the best 10 programs of of the post-Wooden era (in no particular order: UConn, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, UCLA (mainly because of Wooden), Villanova). They win their 5th National Title, they are in rarified air indeed. Moreover, with Hurley at the helm, they can get to the Final Four again in the coming years. Lots to look forward to, so I am not going to worry about the blue blood debate. Safe to say, UConn is in the hierarchy of mens (and womens) basketball.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm enjoying the hell out of this run and I love the hardware we've accumulated to date.

Whether those somewhat involved with the sport view us as blue blood or not doesn't matter. If fans of one of the alleged members of that society views us as outsiders or insiders doesn't matter.

I don't need their approval and I'm not really sure what we would actually get if we receive their acceptance.

We have a nice number of trophies and valid reason to believe there will be more to come (not just this year). That works for me.

Reaction Score

greenberg adamant UConn a blue blood. i dont know if the proper video from espn will embed in the linked article.
The article, though, is pretty good, and gives the ideal Miami scenario: we go a bit cold, and Miami is able to generate enough non-3pt looks. Always possible in a football-stadium converted setting.

Reaction Score
Everyone has a different definition for blue blood, so I guess it depends on how you define it (most of the Kentucky fans in that thread believed UConn was absolutely a blue blood). To me, UConn is easily one of the best 10 programs of of the post-Wooden era (in no particular order: UConn, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, UCLA (mainly because of Wooden), Villanova). They win their 5th National Title, they are in rarified air indeed. Moreover, with Hurley at the helm, they can get to the Final Four again in the coming years. Lots to look forward to, so I am not going to worry about the blue blood debate. Safe to say, UConn is in the hierarchy of mens (and womens) basketball.
Last 33 years, they've gotten to 11 Elite 8s. That's 3rd in the NCAA.

Reaction Score
UConn made its 6th Final Four in the last 25 years. UConn has been in 24% of the Final Fours starting with the 1998-1999 season. UConn has done this with three different coaches, which is just as impressive. Most programs that have made Final Fours with more than one or two coaches have needed decades and decades to do it. Indiana is an example.

UConn has been in 11 of the last 34 Elite 8's. That is an amazing statistic going back a long way. UConn has finished the season with one of the 8 best teams in the country about 1/3 of the time.

If this team can win two more games, UConn would join UNC, Kentucky and Kansas as the only programs to have won Championships with three different coaches. Kansas and UNC have to look back to the 1950's to find their third coach's championship. Kentucky has an impressive 5 different coaches winning championships, although not surprisingly, Calipari only has one ring.

UConn is in pretty rarified company with this track record. UConn is a Blue Blood.
I am sooooo tired of the blue blood nonsense. When we`re winning we are, when we`re not, we`re not. At this point i really could not give a squirt of rats pisss just keep getting to final 4s and winning chips.

Reaction Score
The article, though, is pretty good, and gives the ideal Miami scenario: we go a bit cold, and Miami is able to generate enough non-3pt looks. Always possible in a football-stadium converted setting.

We are shooting the eyes out of the ball right now. I think I read 44% from 3 as a team for the tourney.

I am going to probably have a meltdown if Alleyne or Calcaterra clank their first three. But this group strikes me as one that’s going to keep hammering until they fall.

Reaction Score
We are shooting the eyes out of the ball right now. I think I read 44% from 3 as a team for the tourney.

I am going to probably have a meltdown if Alleyne or Calcaterra clank their first three. But this group strikes me as one that’s going to keep hammering until they fall.
I agree. But I think the only way UConn loses the way they've been playing is a worse than usual performance from 3 and maybe foul trouble on Jackson and Newton. They went 7 for 25 against Marquette and still only lost by 2 (to a team significantly better than Miami).

EDIT: Also, it's 41.8% from 3 in the tournament (41 for 98), which is amazing and not likely sustainable.

Reaction Score
I’d rather not be a blue blood.

This program is about overcoming obstacles , long established hoops paradigms , new money as good as old if not better , left behind by conference realignment , relatively underfunded, that has kicked down doors with Calhoun and Hurley. We should reject and renounce any calls for blue blood status. Like Groucho Marx said ‘i refuse to join a club that would have me as a member.’

Reaction Score
I guessed, but I'm still right.

View attachment 85924
Your correct if you are comparing apples to apples. But we have been screwed by conference alignment and being stuck in the AAC. The so called Blue Bloods have stability and tons of money pouring into their athletic departments.

One could say we are on a higher plane than these schools because we have recovered from the depths of basketball hell. Hats off to the athletic department and hats off to Coach Hurley.

We are not a Blue Blood but The Royal Blue Blood.

Reaction Score
I’d rather not be a blue blood.

This program is about overcoming obstacles , long established hoops paradigms , new money as good as old if not better , left behind by conference realignment , relatively underfunded, that has kicked down doors with Calhoun and Hurley. We should reject and renounce any calls for blue blood status. Like Groucho Marx said ‘i refuse to join a club that would have me as a member.’
Exactly, couldn’t have said it better, I’d rather be Rodney Dangerfield than Ted Knight!!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We are the northeast, supremely talented, tough, don’t give a %#*+ squad who beats the blue bloods in big moments. Tough PGs and superstars throughout the last 30 years

We are not relying on a different tournament structure (UCLA), a mediocre conference (Gonzaga), the GOAT repping our school (Jordan with UNC) or ONE coach (MSU, Duke) to be this great.

They can hate us for it, and good. %#^* em

On to number 5# in less than 25 years

It is kind of fun to be Goliath sometimes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Three weeks ago we were worried about getting past the first weekend and giving ultimatums to Hurley if he didn’t.

Now we’re upset about our position in the world and what others think of us?

This is the Boneyard way!

I used to care what others thought. No longer do.

Let the winning do the talking!

Go UConn! Beat Miami Saturday! This is my focus! This is my mantra!

This Is My Way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69