2023 Recruiting: - UConn interest in St. John's David Jones | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: UConn interest in St. John's David Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Vibe I had was that he never bonded with his new St Johns teammates(after DePaul) to the point where there was unconditional trust.. And Mike A didn't help with the bonding process.. Looked like it was a game of "keep away" from the point guards and him.... But once the ball was in his hands.. He could go get his shot.. They weren't always high percentage shots because.. IMO.. He wasn't sure he'd see the ball again on rotations and they were usually taken in traffic/highly contested.. Thus--His percentages weren't fantastic.. The dude can make foul shots.. The first sign of a decent shooter..

UConn mindset/offensive motion could/would free him up to get higher percentage shots that were uncontested..

Reaction Score
He reminds me of a pre-UConn version of what Tyrese Martin was….. (ducks from all the hate I’m going to get for this take)
Tyrese had a lower usage at RI. He was behind Fatts, and Langevine and about the same usage/shots as Dowtin.

Jones had by far the highest usage on his team and by far even more the most shots taken on the team. He had the highest % of team shots in the entire conference.

Reaction Score
Tyrese had a lower usage at RI. He was behind Fatts, and Langevine and about the same usage/shots as Dowtin.

Jones had by far the highest usage on his team and by far even more the most shots taken on the team. He had the highest % of team shots in the entire conference.

He took 13.0 shots per game last year, which would have ranked #1 on our team last year. 1.0 ahead of Hawkins, 1.3 ahead of Sanogo. Makes it kind of crazy to think about how Hawkins and Sanogo averaged 16 and 17 per game, and Jones averaged 13 with those shot attempts

Anybody have a subscription to one of those advanced stats sites? Would love to see Jones' 3P% on catch and shoot/open threes. Assuming he took a good bunch of contested threes off the dribble or step backs

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
#3. (was David Jones before the monkee caused him change to his name)
View attachment 88458
How fortunate was that. Now you say "Bowie" and he is the guy (Sam not remembered quite as well, despite the knife).

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Honestly, this suggests that like Bouknight for us, he was forced to take a lot of shots that he shouldn't have on an offensively challenged team. I don't think he'd play that way at UConn, and would probably get a lot of quality open looks. Could be a really good fit with a strong upside. Replacing some of Jackson's rebounding is a concern.

Reaction Score
Honestly, this suggests that like Bouknight for us, he was forced to take a lot of shots that he shouldn't have on an offensively challenged team. I don't think he'd play that way at UConn, and would probably get a lot of quality open looks. Could be a really good fit with a strong upside. Replacing some of Jackson's rebounding is a concern.
This is the 2nd year in a row he did it at 2 different schools. So either he's forcing the mantle onto himself intentionally or he's choosing situations where it would be a necessity. Neither would make sense with our current team.

Player efficiency does improve with smaller roles, and Newton did shoot better from 3 for us than at ECU, but Jones has consistently shot 30% with mediocre or worse FT shooting (on smaller than you'd like volume). The problem is that Jones shoots poorly at both the rim and from 3 on high volume at both. He already had pretty ideal shot selection, so it's not like there is a lot of midrange shots or floaters or whatever to reallocate... he just didn't make the good shots. He had a similar allocation of off the dribble 3s as Newton at UConn, so there are only a few more points to be squeezed out of getting him more catch and shoot looks. I don't have data on how contested his shots were usually, but that might be the main way we could help his game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And better coaching too

I'm just not a Mike Anderson guy
neither am I. The Xavier at St. John's game in late December that was televised on Fox Sports 1 without commercials
showed the huddles and the half time strategies being discussed. Sean Miller was great and communicated the strategies very effectively while Mike Anderson had nothing but cheap platitudes and motherisms. I was actually really annoyed with Anderson and wanted to tell him "your players are looking for guidance and you are not giving it to them!".

Reaction Score
Why would Jones getting a waiver be an issue? His coach got fired. That's an automatic waiver in today's NCAA, even if you've transferred once before like he has.

Reaction Score
Why would Jones getting a waiver be an issue? His coach got fired. That's an automatic waiver in today's NCAA, even if you've transferred once before like he has.

The NCAA released a memo earlier this spring saying specifically that it was not an automatic waiver

Reaction Score
Who are the players this offseason who have gotten waivers? The fact that this guy has been in the portal for a month now seems like a pretty strong indicator that programs don't believe he can play this year. Now maybe our interest means they have found a way around that, but as auror mentioned, the NCAA straight up said a coaching change does not get you an automatic waiver.

Reaction Score
The NCAA released a memo earlier this spring saying specifically that it was not an automatic waiver
I don’t know why anyone would believe a word the NCAA says lol

Reaction Score
I don’t know why anyone would believe a word the NCAA says lol
At this point there is a massive amount of circumstantial evidence that it's difficult to get waivers this year.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Coaching changes ARE NOT an automatic waiver any longer go figure. NCAA that should be one definitely, but then again we think it makes sense to join AAC 2.0

Reaction Score
neither am I. The Xavier at St. John's game in late December that was televised on Fox Sports 1 without commercials
showed the huddles and the half time strategies being discussed. Sean Miller was great and communicated the strategies very effectively while Mike Anderson had nothing but cheap platitudes and motherisms. I was actually really annoyed with Anderson and wanted to tell him "your players are looking for guidance and you are not giving it to them!".
I think I saw that game and agree about Anderson. All he was saying was "we need to rebound" or "we need to get some fast breaks", whereas Miller was way more detailed.

Reaction Score
Who are the players this offseason who have gotten waivers? The fact that this guy has been in the portal for a month now seems like a pretty strong indicator that programs don't believe he can play this year. Now maybe our interest means they have found a way around that, but as auror mentioned, the NCAA straight up said a coaching change does not get you an automatic waiver.
Jones has a stronger case due to Pitino publicly stating that he essentially asked him to leave. The waiver guidelines state "no participation opportunity at previous institution" as grounds for a second-time transfer to be immediately eligible. It should be pretty easy to argue for Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom