2023 Recruiting: - UConn interest in St. John's David Jones | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: UConn interest in St. John's David Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If he's willing to be a bench player or 4th/5th option I'm fine with it. Far too ineffecient to be a team leader, but IIRC he's a pretty solid rebounder and defender. He could definitely be a backup to Karaban or maybe play the 3 for us.

Reaction Score
David Jones' Big East ranks last season:
  • 1st in shot usage
  • 2nd in possession usage
  • 13th in OR%
  • 6th in DR%
  • Shot 32.8% from 3 during conference play

David Jones' Big East ranks in 21-22 w/ DePaul
  • 2nd in steal rate
  • 12th in block rate
  • 11th in assist rate
At 6'6 210, Jones is an excellent athlete and does a little bit of everything. I can see Hurley helping him grow as a defender as the season progresses, a la Joey C. Overall, I like his energy whenever I've watched him, always hustling.

No way Jones gets the usage rate he had a DePaul and St. John's, but I see that working in his favor in terms of efficiency, should he come here. I'd expect an uptick in defensive ability and 3P%.

He needs a waiver, though. That's a big reason why he's still available.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
After being the 6th man at St John’s, part of me thinks he’s looking for a contender to play the same role on. It’s not like he’d start at Kentucky or Arky either.

Reaction Score
It's going to be very hard for him to rise into my top 2 David Joneses.

#1.
gettyimages-77259152.jpeg

#2.
Davy-Jones-POTC-featured.jpeg

Reaction Score
Always looked to me that Jones had to go find his own shots at St Johns.. Either because of Mike A's offensive schemes and/or teammates looking to other players first.. Has smooth stroke at foul line and isn't afraid to mix it up under the boards or finish in traffic.... If he's ok working for the PT he would get.. He could be an asset. A taller Naheim A ..

Also think his FG% improves when surrounded by better players that he would have at UConn.. And a motion offense with multiple ball handlers who can get the ball to him in his spots.. Needs to establish eligibility first but apparently our staff thinks that hurdle can be overcome by virtue of their interest.

Reaction Score
If we're recruiting him to be our guy to take the ball and go get a bucket like he was the last few years, then I'd think the reigning national champions could find someone better for that role..

If we're recruiting him to be a role player off the bench (or as the last option in the starting 5), I could get behind it. Percentages aren't great but I feel like that's more of a function of how many stupid shots he had to take at SJU. Seems like some folks on Twitter and on here agree with that eye test, which is reassuring :)

Definitely a good player, but he would need to understand that he's not getting 13 shots a game here. And if we're pursuing him, and if he's still interested in us, then I would assume that message is loud and clear

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I liked the kid at DePaul and St John’s. His offense is an improvement over AJax but he needs to work on the defensive end. Bonus- he knows NBE play and the opponents. He’s a plug in and use guy.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
After being the 6th man at St John’s, part of me thinks he’s looking for a contender to play the same role on. It’s not like he’d start at Kentucky or Arky either.
Did you really write, "Arky?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32