UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker | Page 30 | The Boneyard

UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker

Reaction Score
Nice and I guess I might wonder if anyone feels the same as I do- no mcdaa no naismith mention no Jordan classic is she worthy? I think so but will have to see her on the floor with uconn before anyone gets to see

Reaction Score
Coach Bill,
Coach Ricci mentioned Aubrey Griffin, who sadly tore her ACL last year and is highly thought of. Had you seen her play prior to her injury?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is interesting re AEH - she has had better national exposure than Saniya had with her move to NJ for HS and her making the U16 team, but her move back to Ossining dropped her profile a bit. And while all HS stars put up silly numbers because they are so clearly superior to the other players on the court in their HS seasons, Ricci seems to be a coach that truly rides his scorer - he did it with Saniya and this year AEH has been putting up the same kind of above category numbers.

I think the combination of being dropped from the U17 team and the decrease in HS profile made it easy for selectors to look elsewhere - the almost comically good numbers she is putting up may have made it easier to discount what she is doing as well.

ctdupree - thanks for the first hand account. As far as defense coming into UConn - very few HS players are ready including our current freshman who was in the running for all the HS NPOY awards. There are not many Kellys and Mayas coming out of HS. AEH has the advantage of having been around the UConn program since seventh grade and having a friend on the current team, so while it will be a challenge I don't think it will be a surprise. And I think her NJ stint and USA basketball experiences at least exposed her to perhaps better competition than was available this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It is interesting re AEH - she has had better national exposure than Saniya had with her move to NJ for HS and her making the U16 team, but her move back to Ossining dropped her profile a bit. And while all HS stars put up silly numbers because they are so clearly superior to the other players on the court in their HS seasons, Ricci seems to be a coach that truly rides his scorer - he did it with Saniya and this year AEH has been putting up the same kind of above category numbers.

I think the combination of being dropped from the U17 team and the decrease in HS profile made it easy for selectors to look elsewhere - the almost comically good numbers she is putting up may have made it easier to discount what she is doing as well.

ctdupree - thanks for the first hand account. As far as defense coming into UConn - very few HS players are ready including our current freshman who was in the running for all the HS NPOY awards. There are not many Kellys and Mayas coming out of HS. AEH has the advantage of having been around the UConn program since seventh grade and having a friend on the current team, so while it will be a challenge I don't think it will be a surprise. And I think her NJ stint and USA basketball experiences at least exposed her to perhaps better competition than was available this year.
Incoming players ready to play defense to Geno's satisfaction have been few and far between. Kia Nurse and Kelly Faris may be the only 2 in the past 8 years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kudos to Meg for going out of her way to work with John Lucas. She's serious about working hard and improving.

Reaction Score
As the game was in my backyard I decided to see what AEH was all about. Warming up it looked like the game would be no contest. Elmira looked like a JV team - but I failed to notice that the starters chose to sit on the bench - they must have warmed up previously. While the height differences amongst the starters were not that great, Ossining blew the doors off in that first quarter and I was scratching my he'd wondering how Elmira could have gotten this far. Well - they outscored Ossining the rest of the way, gradually building a lead on the basis of terrific PG play by a Crystal Dangerfield-like 9th grader who controlled the floor. AEH was actually pretty quiet, missing a lot of shots - until crunch time when she asserted herself. But I was left thinking she will be overwhelmed next year by the sheer difference in play from what she experienced at the HS level to what she will see at UCONN. She is a talented player and her smile lights up the arena but Geno is going to eat her lunch on the defensive end and she will struggle to find minutes. I hope she sticks with it.
Another sage!!!!!!! BASTA

Reaction Score
Megan Walker at the Wizards game being surprised by Elena Della Donne with the Gatorade National Player Of The Year::)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Megan Walker at the Wizards game being surprised by Elena Della Donne with the Gatorade National Player Of The Year::)

What would have been even better is if EDD dressed up in the blue Wizard mascot suit, pulled off the costume head and then surprised Walker with the award. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been posted, Walker talks about winging her state title, and some game highlights. She has really good size!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom