UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Don't know how they go about selecting numbers at UConn..do the coaches say "hmmmmm she looks like a 21 to me" or do the players put in a request...is there a hierarchy as to whom get first dibs? I know how they do it at my daughters school.....you get what you get and you don't get upset..
players get to request numbers, and if it belonged to a legend before they have to ask permission of that player to wear the number. Molly had to ask Sue if she could wear #10. I don't think permission has ever been denied, but it is a way to start teaching the tradition they are becoming a part of.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Yea, but what number will she wear & how tall is she anyway? 23 is taken and she will needs to ditch her A'Ja Wilson rolled shorts wearing ways. :D
And who is she going to take minutes away from on this team? :D:D

...what number will she wear? Zero. The number of defenders who can stop her.

...how tall is she anyway? Tall enough.

...she will need to ditch her A'Ja Wilson rolled shorts wearing ways. Looks good enough on A'Ja, right?

...And who is she going to take minutes away from on this team? Why does it matter if everyone is all in for the good of the team?

Yeah, I know. A really informative post by me. Sorry. Better next time.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Watching Mikayla , I think those 7 steals and her defensive quickness is what is going to get her on the floor fastest when she comes to UCONN.

She seems to be an athletic disruptor. Reminds me a bit of a current disruptor.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Lexi Gordon scored 24 points on Tuesday (1/10) though LD Bell lost its game.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Watching Mikayla , I think those 7 steals and her defensive quickness is what is going to get her on the floor fastest when she comes to UCONN.
I could dig it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I could dig it.
2Jrz4DC.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kind of seeing a McCoughtry/Augustus hyrid. I think Geno would love to coach someone like that.
Had not thought about Angel or Simone, but I could definitely see that. I was more thinking in the mold of Candice Wiggins.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1/12

Megan Walker scored 22 points in Monacan's 62-46 win over rival Cosby on Thursday.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm as high as anyone on next years recruits, but they are not the storm troopers arriving to save the day. They will come in and think: I should have worked out harder for the last 6 months. What just happened? What did Shea say to do next? What just happened? I have to do what now? Mommy!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I'm as high as anyone on next years recruits, but they are not the storm troopers arriving to save the day. They will come in and think: I should have worked out harder for the last 6 months. What just happened? What did Shea say to do next? What just happened? I have to do what now? Mommy!

Freshman always need a period to adjust to advanced basketball. But I suspect they will contribute.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Freshman always need a period to adjust to advanced basketball. But I suspect they will contribute.
Everyone, or almost everyone, had some struggles as a freshman. Maya, finishing second in the AP POY voting, may not have. But Stewie had a slump, Kaleena had a slump, Lou took 20 games to get into the flow, Diana had an awful semi-final. I expect that most of the four will struggle. Azura and Batouly have a couple of steps up on the frosh.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Everyone, or almost everyone, had some struggles as a freshman. Maya, finishing second in the AP POY voting, may not have. But Stewie had a slump, Kaleena had a slump, Lou took 20 games to get into the flow, Diana had an awful semi-final. I expect that most of the four will struggle. Azura and Batouly have a couple of steps up on the frosh.

All true. But given the limitations of a UConn freshman, the question in my mind is how will they contribute, to what end, and how soon. For example, I think before this season is done, Molly and Crystal will be a deadly combo. They are doing OK for now, but I'm betting they get more polished and useful, and sooner rather than later.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Rene, Bria, Stef all did pretty well starting from day one. Caroline, Sue, and Nicole were all doing well until injuries and Tiff stepped in well to replace Caroline. But part of it for that group was that the team really needed them immediately, and adjusted accordingly. And I would say the whole freshman class of 2002-3 stepped in and performed really well immediately especially Strother and Turner.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Of the 4 freshman, only Megan will have substantial time as a freshman (15 minutes?). The other 3 will sit, learn, practice like the devil and will be behind Molly in the natural pecking order. If one of them really shines above expectations, Geno will find some minutes. Ultimate meritocracy.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Friday 1/13

Andra Espinoza-Hunter set another new career high Friday with 53 points, her third consecutive 50-pt game. She hit 7 threes.

Lexi Gordon scored 26 points.

Mikayla Coombs had 7 points and 7 assists in a 71-11 win.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Friday 1/13

Andra Espinoza-Hunter set another new career high Friday with 53 points, her third consecutive 50-pt game. She hit 7 threes.

Somebody played defense in Mikayla's game. :)

Even if Andi plays only in garbage time, she'll put points on the board next year.

Reaction Score
Friday 1/13

Is Hunter "this good?" IS the competition she is playing tough?

My God---- what she is doing this year. I realize it never is "all about points." But what she is doing, it's getting obscene, isn't it?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is Hunter "this good?" IS the competition she is playing tough?

My God---- what she is doing this year. I realize it never is "all about points." But what she is doing, it's getting obscene, isn't it?
The local competition isn't that good, but they played some good teams early in the season. I think that Andi's low game was 29, and her high is now 53. She's averaging somewhere around 40. The basket is the same height and size everywhere. The kid has been a shooter since at least 7th grade, when she played on the Ossining varsity with Saniya. She was a long-range bomber even back then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom