UConn " forefront" of ACC expansion if by one team" and a mortal lock" if >1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn " forefront" of ACC expansion if by one team" and a mortal lock" if >1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
As it's been said 5 million times, Hartford-New Haven alone is the largest market without a pro sports team. UConn transcends that market anyway. Nothing to even worry about. We're good.
We're good when the presser happens and Swofford is trying to play grab ass with Herbst. Or Manuel, I won't judge.

Reaction Score
The ACC could not make this jump so quickly. If they lose Florida with FSU and Clemson defections, they have to save a space for USF.

You know, there is this school called Miami. It is also located in Florida. The good part of Florida even.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
what does BC bring to the table?

winning? no
Boston? no
a med school? no

why would the Big 10 be so hot? The ACC already learned that lesson

I guess they may be looking to shore up their hockey profile

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Would seem to be = wild guess.

Sorry, but this isn't proof that we are getting into a major conference. Our fight to get into a power conference goes continues.

Well, if you knew what other people knew, you would be as cool as a cucumber.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Blaudschun is getting it from BC. That's all you need to know.

LOL he couldnt even get close to the BC AD hire from BC. This guy mhaver with a love of Jerseyguys.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I personally believe the idea of adding more than one school would be a very difficult sell as among other things it will be admitting that ND was a mistake. Their then perfect scenario had the day coming in the not too distant future where ND had no choice but to join a conference for football and UConn ready and waiting in the wings to fill the ACC out at 16. Will the ACC be willing to admit, a couple of months after adding ND that all they accomplished was turning their onference into ND's new patsies?

Another issue is academics and the availability of candidates who qualify both athletically and academically within what they want for their conference members. This is a conference who wouldn't consider WVU (a year ago, from some well placed UVA grads I know i was told a good sized faction of the ACC wanted to add UConn & WVU and call it a day but the academics who ran most of the conference couldn't possibly vote in favor of the Mountaineers). How can they consider schools with equal (Cincy) or worse (Louisville) academic profiles?

I still believe that when (or if) we get the call it will be after the ACC knows how many members they will have once this round of expansion ends. Th only thing that will prevent us from joining is if one other school (FSU for reasons i will get to) also leaves. The ACC cannot go to fourteen football members so there would be no reason to go to thirteen.

The caveat on the FSU as the only member leaving. If instead, the departing schools are UNC & UVA (to the B1G), the academic leadership of that conference changes dramatically and the possibility of Cincy & Louisville being considered grows tremendously.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
What are you drinking tonight?

C'mon man! That's a classic movie reference!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
C'mon man! That's a classic movie reference!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

He clearly didn't like Rocky IV!!! ;)

Reaction Score
LOL he couldnt even get close to the BC AD hire from BC. This guy mhaver with a love of Jerseyguys.

That why he wrote the DeFillippo story on ACC expansion?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That why he wrote the DeFillippo story on ACC expansion?

Read his blog since he started it. He's yet to get anything right about any topic. Maybe he had sources when GDF was still around but his posts on the BC AD process were laughable.

Reaction Score
Read his blog since he started it. He's yet to get anything right about any topic. Maybe he had sources when GDF was still around but his posts on the BC AD process were laughable.

Didn't he actually report that the Army guy was a done deal?

Reaction Score

This guy has been the go-to guy in New England for as long as I can remember. Maybe he didn't take much interest in the AD search, I know I didn't. He's been breaking out inside scoops on the BE and ACC since forever. It's because of him that we know BC was quaking in its boots about UConn football back in 2001-2002. Those inside quotes -- which were denied -- turned out to be spot on.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I personally believe the idea of adding more than one school would be a very difficult sell as among other things it will be admitting that ND was a mistake. Their then perfect scenario had the day coming in the not too distant future where ND had no choice but to join a conference for football and UConn ready and waiting in the wings to fill the ACC out at 16. Will the ACC be willing to admit, a couple of months after adding ND that all they accomplished was turning their onference into ND's new patsies?

Another issue is academics and the availability of candidates who qualify both athletically and academically within what they want for their conference members. This is a conference who wouldn't consider WVU (a year ago, from some well placed UVA grads I know i was told a good sized faction of the ACC wanted to add UConn & WVU and call it a day but the academics who ran most of the conference couldn't possibly vote in favor of the Mountaineers). How can they consider schools with equal (Cincy) or worse (Louisville) academic profiles?

I still believe that when (or if) we get the call it will be after the ACC knows how many members they will have once this round of expansion ends. Th only thing that will prevent us from joining is if one other school (FSU for reasons i will get to) also leaves. The ACC cannot go to fourteen football members so there would be no reason to go to thirteen.

The caveat on the FSU as the only member leaving. If instead, the departing schools are UNC & UVA (to the B1G), the academic leadership of that conference changes dramatically and the possibility of Cincy & Louisville being considered grows tremendously.

Unless and until ND joins for football, the ACC is dead man walking. Only a matter of time before FLST leaves, which in turn will trigger the mass exodus. ACC will be left with Duke, Wake, Cuse, bc and if they're lucky, Pitt and Miami.

Reaction Score
As FairfieldCountyFan points out, what kind of signal would the ACC be sending if Louisville and its 22% 4 year graduation rate are invited? Gone forever is the ACC's claim of academic/athletic balance.

WVU was a natural geographic addition, rivalries with Pitt and VaTech, plus battling (at the time) Maryland. WVU was the undisputed football power/fan power of the Big East and was there for the taking. WVU would have solidified the Pitt-WVa-western MD-western Va tv market, adding to the market power already in Pitt, MD and VTech. And the ACC passed. Because of academics.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. The problem is that Louisville is a very poor man's WVU. So taking Louisville will come across just like the Big East adding Houston and SDSU. A survival, purely reactionary measure. A desperate measure for a desperate time.

And in the end let's just say it, if ANYONE in their right mind thinks that Louisville will prevent any ACC team from leaving, that person is just plain ignorant. FSU can give a rats ass about Louisville. Clemson wants Louisville? Huh? A Kentucky based school that isn't even the
dominant school in its own state.

The delusions of Louisville fans are riped to be mocked. It is an afterthought program in an afterthought market. Attach that to a university from whom only 22% of its students graduate from in four years, with an open admissions process, and if the ACC is NOT desperate Louisville will be rejected again.

So look at Louisville as the canary in the ACC mine. Notwithstanding the nonsense spouted by bloggers and any dolt with an internet connection, if Louisville goes ACC, ACC goes new new big east in a few months, guaranteed.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
8th largest DMA. lots of tv subscribers they can force the big 10 network on. That seems to be all that matters. See rutgers/MD.
http://www.sportstvjobs.com/resources/local-tv-market-sizes-dma.html
I'll give you the DMA, but if the BTN thinks they can force themselves on the Boston area because BC is in the B1G, they're more foolish than the ACC was. UConn to the B1G allows you to force the BTN on 3.5 million people plus you get more sway in the NYC market. You might also get some of western mass while you're at it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This guy has been the go-to guy in New England for as long as I can remember. Maybe he didn't take much interest in the AD search, I know I didn't. He's been breaking out inside scoops on the BE and ACC since forever. It's because of him that we know BC was quaking in its boots about UConn football back in 2001-2002. Those inside quotes -- which were denied -- turned out to be spot on.

Other than the constant posts about the AD search sure no interest. Things have changed at BC maybe just maybe he doesn't the sources he once had. Im sure getting something right in 2001 means a lot to you. I can see he's got nothing right in 2012 - especially on BC - he posted that someone who wasn't even close got the job and he didn't have the guy who got the job in his final four. But 2001!

Reaction Score
Other than the constant posts about the AD search sure no interest. Things have changed at BC maybe just maybe he doesn't the sources he once had. Im sure getting something right in 2001 means a lot to you. I can see he's got nothing right in 2012 - especially on BC - he posted that someone who wasn't even close got the job and he didn't have the guy who got the job in his final four. But 2001!

You're missing the point. He wrote constantly about the BE and ACC wit inside sources forever. I said he's the one with the money quote from BC in 2001. I didn't say he once got something right in 2001. He's been right alot. He wrote the DeFilippo artilce that ended up on ESPN on BC blackballing UConn.

Reaction Score
As FairfieldCountyFan points out, what kind of signal would the ACC be sending if Louisville and its 22% 4 year graduation rate are invited? Gone forever is the ACC's claim of academic/athletic balance.

WVU was a natural geographic addition, rivalries with Pitt and VaTech, plus battling (at the time) Maryland. WVU was the undisputed football power/fan power of the Big East and was there for the taking. WVU would have solidified the Pitt-WVa-western MD-western Va tv market, adding to the market power already in Pitt, MD and VTech. And the ACC passed. Because of academics.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. The problem is that Louisville is a very poor man's WVU. So taking Louisville will come across just like the Big East adding Houston and SDSU. A survival, purely reactionary measure. A desperate measure for a desperate time.

And in the end let's just say it, if ANYONE in their right mind thinks that Louisville will prevent any ACC team from leaving, that person is just plain ignorant. FSU can give a rats ass about Louisville. Clemson wants Louisville? Huh? A Kentucky based school that isn't even the
dominant school in its own state.

The delusions of Louisville fans are riped to be mocked. It is an afterthought program in an afterthought market. Attach that to a university from whom only 22% of its students graduate from in four years, with an open admissions process, and if the ACC is NOT desperate Louisville will be rejected again.

So look at Louisville as the canary in the ACC mine. Notwithstanding the nonsense spouted by bloggers and any dolt with an internet connection, if Louisville goes ACC, ACC goes new new big east in a few months, guaranteed.

Does anyone remember the reactions of BC and ND and some of these other schools to Louisville being added to the BE?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're missing the point. He wrote constantly about the BE and ACC wit inside sources forever. I said he's the one with the money quote from BC in 2001. I didn't say he once got something right in 2001. He's been right alot. He wrote the DeFilippo artilce that ended up on ESPN on BC blackballing UConn.

You are missing the point that his current streak is wrong 100 times in a row. I've read every post on his blog since he started it. He is clueless and whatever sources he had dried up long ago. He literally gets nothing right. I'd prefer he was out saying UConn was joining the MAC, that would be a great sign.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
God go through Blaud's twitter history and laugh at his past realignment comments. Somewhere between Waylon and mhver.

Reaction Score
Blaudschun speculates, but to say he doesn't have sources is nuts.

Two examples, the AD search process. He reported how (in-house) and who would conduct it (VP). After that he speculated on who was going to be looked at and who should be looked at. That's when it got very blurry, very fast. So when he says "might" or "should" he's speculating. No foul in that.

Second example. His latest post. He tells us a cc happened (at which nothing was decided) and says another should happen on Monday. That's old school reporting. He also says his sources say no opposition from BC. I believe him now, as I believed the on record quote he got from flipper. After that is his speculation. It's speculation because (my speculation) the acc is paralyzed until it speaks with nd and espn. So even his source doesn't know. He is a good old-school reporter especially if you're tuned into how he writes. He also is now a blogger.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
God go through Blaud's twitter history and laugh at his past realignment comments. Somewhere between Waylon and mhver.

Coming from someone who thought no team would ever leave the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom