UConn Coppin State thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Coppin State thoughts

Reaction Score
This year actually favors the team since we are young and inexperienced in live action.
We aren’t young we have 3 seniors in the starting lineup and 3 upperclassman coming off the bench.

UK is freshman dominated every year yet they always always have one of the toughest OOC schedules. Being young isn’t an excuse

Reaction Score
We aren’t young we have 3 seniors in the starting lineup and 3 upperclassman coming off the bench.

UK is freshman dominated every year yet they always always have one of the toughest OOC schedules. Being young isn’t an excuse
Not one of our guys have played a single BE conference game on the road with fans screaming at them. Let the young pups eat and grow in confidence.

Reaction Score
Contrast to 2002-2003

Quinnipiac: 229/327
George Washington: 110/327
Sacred Heart: 303/327
Wagner: 179/327
UMass: 195/327
UNC Asheville: 283/327
CCSU: 238/327
St. Bonaventure: 84/327

I didn't include the St. Bonaventure game this year because I'm only including home games against non-p5 schools.

But you can see, while there's an occasion disaster, these schedules didn't have nearly the same drain on our SOS.

AND, That BE year had all but two teams in the Top 101, 10 Top 75 teams, 7 Top 50, 4 Top 25, and 2 Top 10.
The current BE is below that on every measure (except only 1/11 is outside Top 100).

We're not losing to anyone in the 150-250 range and it looks WAY better. More entertaining games and actual useful experience on the court. It's like playing Depaul... yeah they suck and we are going to win the vast majority of the time... but at least they put up some fight.

Reaction Score
beating aac/a-10 teams by 15-20 is a lot more beneficial than beating cupcakes by 40

and if we're not beating said aac/a-10 teams then we are not as good as we think

we should not be scared of a couple early season Ls. if we're a good team we'd have plenty of time to recover and work our way back up the ranks during conference play. can't wait for atlantis.
Beating those teams isn’t going to do enough for our resume to risk the bad loss. These games are for the sole purpose of fine tuning and chemistry. We don’t need a super tough opponent to do that

Reaction Score
Beating those teams isn’t going to do enough for our resume to risk the bad loss. These games are for the sole purpose of fine tuning and chemistry. We don’t need a super tough opponent to do that
I agree with your point for the most part, I don't think we need to be replacing these games with top tier games like some people are suggesting. But it would be nice if we take these games against 300+ cupcakes and just play teams in the 200s instead

Reaction Score
But you need a semblance of an opponent which these teams are not ! We are not Georgetown we are not losing to Dartmouth and if we do then so be it we weren’t winning the championship anyways

Reaction Score
Just from a quick glance at KenPom we could play some combo of Stony Brook, Bryant, UNH, Fairfield, Quinnipiac, Monmouth, Rider every year. And probably another 5-10 I could have listed, all ranked between 200 and 250 right now. Can easily rotate those teams for 4 games a year to get a solid gauge of our team, all Northeast teams who'd be happy to schedule us

Reaction Score
I agree with your point for the most part, I don't think we need to be replacing these games with top tier games like some people are suggesting. But it would be nice if we take these games against 300+ cupcakes and just play teams in the 200s instead
@Palatine said it best. In addition we owe it to Patrick Sellers and all the top programs owe it to HBCU's...
The reason we play CCSU is because we are in a position to help a fellow Connecticut state university. It's good for the university system in the state for multiple reasons.

We played Coppin State because the entire NCAA has focused on giving HBCU's a place on the schedules of the nations basketball powers.

I find both rationale for scheduling both these games to be reasonable

Reaction Score
Just from a quick glance at KenPom we could play some combo of Stony Brook, Bryant, UNH, Fairfield, Quinnipiac, Monmouth, Rider every year. And probably another 5-10 I could have listed, all ranked between 200 and 250 right now. Can easily rotate those teams for 4 games a year to get a solid gauge of our team, all Northeast teams who'd be happy to schedule us
Can’t argue with Progress.

I’m not advocating we schedule as tough as UK I just pointed out there’s a vast middle ground between our respective programs’ scheduling philosophies.

Having said that Gimme northeast teams ~150-200 as the warm ups e.g. umass, northeastern, BU, GW, Bryant, UNH, Vermont, the Ivies etc.

There’s a higher level of familiarity and Everyone one of those would be a sell out as double digit favorites

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@Palatine said it best. In addition we owe it to Patrick Sellers and all the top programs owe it to HBCU's...
Oh absolutely, I have no issue scheduling a game against Coppin State or throwing Sellers a bone. 1 or 2 games like that a year are fine. Those 2, schedule 3-4 Northeast 150-250 games a year, Gavitt/B12, MTE would be a perfect schedule for me. If someone like the Bonnies want to play like this year replace one of the Northeast games

Reaction Score

I've got no problem with CCSU and Coppin. Would love to have a rotating schedule of 1 or 2 in-state teams a year + an HBCU or 2.

The problem is when we tack on LIU (273), Binghamton (322), Maryland Eastern Shore (HBCU, 354) on top of that. Sub in a 100-200 team and we have more fans at the games, more competitive games, and a little bit better looking schedule come selection Sunday. 100-200 games are at least somewhat competitive.

Anyone saying our schedule is comprable to other teams in our position are blind. Take a look around the conference and the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Contrast to 2009-2010

William & Mary: 107/348
Colgate: 290/348
Hofstra: 131/348
Boston University: 133/348
Harvard: 111/348
UCF: 166/348
Maine: 213/348
Iona: 110/348
I was just thinking today that teams like Harvard are perfect early season OOC matchups.

Reaction Score
I've got no problem with CCSU and Coppin. Would love to have a rotating schedule of 1 or 2 in-state teams a year + an HBCU or 2.

The problem is when we tack on LIU (273), Binghamton (322), Maryland Eastern Shore (HBCU, 354) on top of that. Sub in a 100-200 team and we have more fans at the games, more competitive games, and a little bit better looking schedule come selection Sunday. 100-200 games are at least somewhat competitive.

Anyone saying our schedule is comprable to other teams in our position are blind. Take a look around the conference and the NCAA.
I just don’t think this is an actual issue, I think it’s nitpicking. If it seems as though it’s effecting us in an substantial way then let’s revisit. But we are going to have more than enough cracks at those types of teams in BE play and our beginning of the season tournaments. If we are relying on a win against a Dartmouth to get into the tournament, then what they hell are we doing. I just have a hard time believing our season will ever come down to whether we played Dartmouth over Coppin St in early November

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Our OOC sucks compared to other teams in our position.
That may be true but adding AAC/A10 teams early is a about the dumbest thing you can do. You’re going to risk getting beaten (especially early before you have your team figured out) and having that kill your resume unless that other team ends up absolutely dominating their conference. Plus, they almost certainly play a different style than all the power schools you’ll play, so you won’t really be gaining the experience you want there.

If you can mix in some OOC power schools obviously that has benefits, even if you don’t pull them all off.

Reaction Score
That may be true but adding AAC/A10 teams early is a about the dumbest thing you can do. You’re going to risk getting beaten (especially early before you have your team figured out) and having that kill your resume unless that other team ends up absolutely dominating their conference. Plus, they almost certainly play a different style than all the power schools you’ll play, so you won’t really be gaining the experience you want there.

If you can mix in some OOC power schools obviously that has benefits, even if you don’t pull them all off.
Thank You. It’s the actual definition of high risk low reward. It’s an ego driven move that makes zero actual sense. If the win isn’t going to help your resume you might as well play a cupcake

Reaction Score

They scheduled 3 HBCU's and I don't see Hurley budging on that, he takes supporting HBCU's more seriously than just about anyone and we owe it to Sellers and Central. So basically we would like two tougher opponents instead of Binghamton and LIU, I agree with that. It's unfortunate we were left out of the Gavitt games this season.

Reaction Score
And just because we’ve always done it this way doesn’t mean we can’t do it better.

My best pal is a lifelong UK fan and he respects our program but doesn’t understand why we don’t have more marquee OOC games. Their fans would take a L to Duke over a 40 point cupcake blowout any day
Kentucky has had the luxury of playing in the “champions” classic over the last 10 years which guarantees them a game vs KU, MSU, or Duke. I think our OOC has been pretty decent. It’s just this season seems like it’s a little thin. I just wish we had a premier OOC home game like we usually do.

Reaction Score

Never thought I hear so many UConn fans say they were scared to play the aac or a10

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have no problems with the overall non-conference schedule. Atlantis should be at least two real solid games. WVU is no joke. St. Bonaventure is a top-25 team.

Are people complaining about the non-conference schedule overall or just the home non-conference games.

There are plenty of solid games to give the players and staff a full accounting of where they stand and some games for the staff and players to work on things. I'm perfectly fine with the overall non-conference schedule.

Reaction Score
Never thought I hear so many UConn fans say they were scared to play the aac or a10
Ego. Nobodies scared. There just isn’t much in it for us

Reaction Score
This is exactly my point.

Reaction Score
I agree that we should be playing a buzzsaw schedule when trying to work in players coming off major injuries and multiple freshmen, and trying to find an identity for the team after losing a lottery pick considering we only play 20 Big East games. Its a good idea.
Or, alternatively, you can say maybe you have cupcakes that are ranked 150-250 rather than 250-350 for a variety of reasons.

Reaction Score
Ego. Nobodies scared. There just isn’t much in it for us
We have the sixth most chips of any program we can have a little bit of an ego.

No one wants to watch half a dozen blowouts against schools they can’t find on a map. Hadn’t even heard of umes until this year.

Reaction Score
We have the sixth most chips of any program we can have a little ego. No one wants to watch half a dozen blowouts against schools they can’t find on a map.
No one really cares if we take care of business when it matters. You won’t care in 2 months. I promise

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom