Men - UConn Baseball 2024 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2024

Reaction Score
I’m really hoping we see Cooke working out of the bullpen by May…i think on paper there are more options available to insert a wknd starter rather then a 3rd year guy who’s had some success in the bullpen. There’s some limited experience guys w high ceilings in place, but that’s all. Cooke, if he bought in, could take a hold of the pen. Just an opinion
Agreed. His pitching style lends itself to being an effective reliever. I've seen him pitch in person several times. Some guys make it look easy (Coe) and for some guys, it seems to take a lot of effort. Cookie falls into the latter. Every pitch seems to be a huge effort. Perhaps shorter stints at a full-out pace (doesn't have to worry about going ~6 innings) and he can be a big asset out of the pen. We shall see how it all develops and plays out.

Reaction Score
Agreed. His pitching style lends itself to being an effective reliever. I've seen him pitch in person several times. Some guys make it look easy (Coe) and for some guys, it seems to take a lot of effort. Cookie falls into the latter. Every pitch seems to be a huge effort. Perhaps shorter stints at a full-out pace (doesn't have to worry about going ~6 innings) and he can be a big asset out of the pen. We shall see how it all develops and plays out.

During the 2022 season, Cooke pitched in 20 games and started in 6 of them. He pitched more than 5 innings in only 2 games, and 5 innings in one other game. He may indeed be better off coming out of the bullpen as he did in the bulk of his appearances in 2022. We'll just have to see if any of the other pitchers on the UConn pitching staff is able to take over in a starting role.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
During the 2022 season, Cooke pitched in 20 games and started in 6 of them. He pitched more than 5 innings in only 2 games, and 5 innings in one other game. He may indeed be better off coming out of the bullpen as he did in the bulk of his appearances in 2022. We'll just have to see if any of the other pitchers on the UConn pitching staff is able to take over in a starting role.
Cooke was lights out against BC and USC 2 years ago as a midweek starter. That is what we were hoping for more of last year. McDonald and Penders might want to see if he could be healthy and give us more of those starts. Would rather go with a guy with higher upside than safer downside.

Reaction Score
Cooke was lights out against BC and USC 2 years ago as a midweek starter. That is what we were hoping for more of last year. McDonald and Penders might want to see if he could be healthy and give us more of those starts. Would rather go with a guy with higher upside than safer downside.
Agreed I think he'll be a starter the first weekend in Tampa. My opinion (not a pitching expert) is his style might be more effective just gassing out 2-3 innings rather than trying to manage a 6-inning stint. Standard caveat: I'm not a pitching expert.

If healthy he'll help out regardless of role. Keep in mind Cookie was voted Big East Preseason Pitcher of the Year for the 2023 season (if wrong someone let me know). Can be a weapon regardless of role. Good discussion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Among other things, this guy is very high on RHP Joe Carrea, who walked onto the team last year. Should be interesting to see what sort of role Carrea has on the pitching staff this coming season.

Reaction Score
Saw a Top 25 Preseason poll this week from Perfect Game. 8 SEC, 6 ACC, and Big 12 with 4.
Other takeaways:

1) Uconn unranked
2) Auburn ranked 15th
3) UCLA ranked 18th
4) Kansas St ranked 20th
5) UC Santa Barbara ranked 24th

To what Omahabound just said on the other thread Uconn playing a very tough nonconference schedule.

Reaction Score
Elliot is better than the hockey barn!
…and can you imagine if Elliot was natural grass with a manicured infield and clay/dirt mounds and batter’s boxes!! I know it’s finances and practicality but baseball was and has been played on grass for many years. Unfortunately, that’s become the except.

Reaction Score
…and can you imagine if Elliot was natural grass with a manicured infield and clay/dirt mounds and batter’s boxes!! I know it’s finances and practicality but baseball was and has been played on grass for many years. Unfortunately, that’s become the except.
Turf is a leveler for northern programs. They played the max 56 two years ago and are out practicing now. Nothing unfortunate about that. The alternative is often standing on a field with your teammates for the first time for your first game.

Reaction Score
Turf is a leveler for northern programs. They played the max 56 two years ago and are out practicing now. Nothing unfortunate about that. The alternative is often standing on a field with your teammates for the first time for your first game.
I understand your point about having to use turf. Idealists like myself prefer to see baseball played on natural grass in nice weather. It is unfortunate that reality gets in the way in the Northeast especially with college baseball starting in late Winter and forces baseball to be played on turf for all the points that you mentioned.

Reaction Score
Its not finances. Its that turf allows us to play on this field throughout the entire fall and winter and isnt a soggy mess for half our season in the spring. Also allows us to host high schools and summer teams without beating up the field. I honestly feel that Elliot's appareance is a million times better with turf. Normal grass is yellow and brown until the last few weeks of the season each year.

Reaction Score
You’re not wrong, however, I do find it extremely unfortunate that the way of natural grass fields is passing. The game of baseball is forever being altered because of money and inconvenience. The advantages of turf for practical reasons is legit. Not for the game of Baseball as a whole, though. Dirt, mud, grass, chaulk, “unfair” home field advantages, will all be looked upon as a nuisance or a disadvantage instead of what makes playing the game of baseball unique. Fields, mounds, fences used to matter from game to game and from HS to college to the professional ranks. It’s being destroyed on all levels. Intramural season is open Baseball fans…soccer and lax got next

Reaction Score
Its not finances. Its that turf allows us to play on this field throughout the entire fall and winter and isnt a soggy mess for half our season in the spring. Also allows us to host high schools and summer teams without beating up the field. I honestly feel that Elliot's appareance is a million times better with turf. Normal grass is yellow and brown until the last few weeks of the season each year.
All good points and facts. This however is Baseball issue from LL to the Pros. College, given the timing of the season, makes turf the most practical.

Reaction Score
When UConn baseball played at J.O. Christian field, it sounds like it was very rare that they could practice outside from late fall to early spring. Such is the nature of northern college baseball fields that have grass. UConn baseball is able to do much more outside in the colder months now that they have an artificial turf field. Yes, I prefer grass to artificial baseball fields, but having an artificial turf field in a northeast college baseball field is something that is certainly much more practical. Certainly don't have a problem with UConn baseball playing on an artificial turf field, it helps out the team quite a bit in how much they can use it.

Reaction Score
When UConn baseball played at J.O. Christian field, it sounds like it was very rare that they could practice outside from late fall to early spring. Such is the nature of northern college baseball fields that have grass. UConn baseball is able to do much more outside in the colder months now that they have an artificial turf field. Yes, I prefer grass to artificial baseball fields, but having an artificial turf field in a northeast college baseball field is something that is certainly much more practical. Certainly don't have a problem with UConn baseball playing on an artificial turf field, it helps out the team quite a bit in how much they can use it.
I’m sure it does work out well for practice time.

Reaction Score
Facts..... remember the number of times Uconn home games in the spring would have to be moved to "fields at big time baseball programs" ( ;)) at schools like CCSU and UHart because they were playable and Uconn's grass field (JOC) wasn't.

Reaction Score
Facts..... remember the number of times Uconn home games in the spring would have to be moved to "fields at big time baseball programs" ( ;)) at schools like CCSU and UHart because they were playable and Uconn's grass field (JOC) wasn't.
What?

Reaction Score
With preseason starting tomorrow hopefully we will be getting more news about the team in the month before the spring season starts.
Forgive my ignorance (as usual): how will the cold weather coming through affect the next week plus for the team?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom