Men - UConn Baseball @ 2023 NCAA Tournament’s Gainesville Regional (6/2>6/5). Elimination Sunday 6/4/23 v. Florida Gators @Noon on SEC Network | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball @ 2023 NCAA Tournament’s Gainesville Regional (6/2>6/5). Elimination Sunday 6/4/23 v. Florida Gators @Noon on SEC Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Prior to the games, they talked about a lot of offense in this region. We haven't seen that yet with scores of 3-2 and 3-0.

Now on to play Florida A&M . Hopefully, UConn bats are ready.

Reaction Score
Last years club had a certain IT. This years side just seems to be lacking IT. It’s been a nice season but a bit disappointing to be honest. It’s not over but Uncle Mo seems to be sleeping right now.
We were spoiled by the pitching rotation last year as well since it was so stable. That doesn't happen often as we have witnessed this season.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
ESPN didn't show the throw from the RF. At least I didn't see it. I wonder if it was on line. It was extremely short.
I have a the video…I just can’t figure out how to post it. It’s a bad look at the play and the only one they showed. I saw the throw bounce along the first base line, but it doesn’t show where it ends up. This pic is the best I can do. I’m working on it.

Attachments

• IMG_2040.jpeg
    IMG_2040.jpeg
    511.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have a the video…I just can’t figure out how to post it. It’s a bad look at the play and the only one they showed. I saw the throw bounce along the first base line, but it doesn’t show where it ends up. This pic is the best I can do.
yes good job. The catcher had to go over another step but did not go as far as to crossover the ump…if that makes sense. ~3-4 feet from the plate maybe? Bit more off the plate than I remember live.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Quit
Even with morton’s speed, think that is 50/50 at best…maybe 40/60
In the spirit of my original comment and how we were doing zero offensively I would take those odds. A risk for sure but force them to make a play. That said on to tomorrow and hope we can start hitting because we are going to need it.

Reaction Score
In other action, not a great day for Northeast baseball. Except for Penn who is currently tied with Auburn and Rider who came back to lead Coastal Carolina. CCSU and Army both got smoked. The announcers on the Vanderbilt broadcast were talking about the need for a mercy rule in the tournament.

Reaction Score
In other action, not a great day for Northeast baseball. Except for Penn who is currently tied with Auburn and Rider who came back to lead Coastal Carolina. CCSU and Army both got smoked. The announcers on the Vanderbilt broadcast were talking about the need for a mercy rule in the tournamen
Yes. And Northeastern and BC lost as well.

Reaction Score
I can't blame Penders for not not sending him especially with Dom the next batter. I though the catch was deeper when I saw it live.

Reaction Score
Can we stop with the idea you can’t criticize a penders move? It’s baseball. The ultimate second guessing sport.
Doesn’t take away from the incredible job he’s done here.
I would have sent him because with Morton’s speed he’s safe if it’s not a near perfect throw.
Even a one hop throw on target could handcuff the catcher depending on how close to him it bounces.
If you think it’s 40-60 or 50-50, that’s probably higher odds than the next batter or next two batters knocking him in.
Just win tomorrow and we go from there. I do like him saving his best remaining horse for the game after next.

Reaction Score
Sorry this one is better. Did he even tag up? Doesn’t look like it. The decision was made off the bat, I think.
Yep, good post with the call being shallow right and Penders never taking his hands from his knees. Same call I would have made as a player or the coach, they both made the right decision in the situation.
I get the high risk gamblers here but sometimes you have to hedge your bets to stay in the game. That play did not decide this game.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score

Ok, even at those numbers, that’s still better odds than the run getting driven in from the plate with 2 outs. I forget the game a couple weeks ago but they made the same dumb call to hold the runner at third, but it ultimately didn’t cost them. Here it did. You absolutely test a college outfielder there with your fastest guy on the team. Every time.

We can send a runner to steal second with 2 outs to barely increase the chances of scoring a run from second, but we can’t put pressure on a right fielder to nail the throw there at a critical moment to hold the lead? Makes no sense.

Reaction Score
ESPN didn't show the throw from the RF. At least I didn't see it. I wonder if it was on line. It was extremely short.
It was slightly up the first base line. My first thought was he would have still been out. Just my initial reaction to the live play. Could Morton have hooked and faded it? don’t know. Dom Amore said the fly ball was medium depth…..I think it was shortish-medium. I haven’t seen the play on tv yet but sounds like it wasn’t shown in full. If there were no outs this isn’t a discussion. With one out…makes for good convo.
Would have been out to short of a fly ball and the right fielder had a rifle of a arm. Play for me a bunt down first base. New day new bats!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Looking big picture for the regional, an opening game loss to TT and beating A&M puts them most likely in a rematch with TT.

This is the same route as beating TT, losing to UF and TT beating A&M.

Which is also the way the regional is supposed to go. After two games, the one seed should be 2-0, the 2 and 3 seeds should be 1-1 and the 4 seed should be 0-2.

I'd assume advantage for TT would be they would be the home team in the elimination game, correct?

Reaction Score
It was slightly up the first base line. My first thought was he would have still been out. Just my initial reaction to the live play. Could Morton have hooked and faded it? don’t know. Dom Amore said the fly ball was medium depth…..I think it was shortish-medium. I haven’t seen the play on tv yet but sounds like it wasn’t shown in full. If there were no outs this isn’t a discussion. With one out…makes for good convo.
It was not medium depth. It was caught in short right field. Throw would not have to have been good, just decent, even as fast as Morton is.

Reaction Score
Can we stop with the idea you can’t criticize a penders move? It’s baseball. The ultimate second guessing sport.
Doesn’t take away from the incredible job he’s done here.
I would have sent him because with Morton’s speed he’s safe if it’s not a near perfect throw.
Even a one hop throw on target could handcuff the catcher depending on how close to him it bounces.
If you think it’s 40-60 or 50-50, that’s probably higher odds than the next batter or next two batters knocking him in.
Just win tomorrow and we go from there. I do like him saving his best remaining horse for the game after next.
Fully agree with the first sentence. Compared to football and basketball, anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of baseball can intelligently second guess all types of decisions because baseball is far more data driven and based on individual actions instead of team actions. I think Penders made the right judgment there, but anyone can challenge it without in any way challenging what a great coach he is.

Reaction Score
Ok, even at those numbers, that’s still better odds than the run getting driven in from the plate with 2 outs. I forget the game a couple weeks ago but they made the same dumb call to hold the runner at third, but it ultimately didn’t cost them. Here it did. You absolutely test a college outfielder there with your fastest guy on the team. Every time.

We can send a runner to steal second with 2 outs to barely increase the chances of scoring a run from second, but we can’t put pressure on a right fielder to nail the throw there at a critical moment to hold the lead? Makes no sense.
Yes, at 50/50 you send him, but the percentages people are throwing out here for the odds of him scoring are just being pulled from the proverbial horse’s butt. The odds of scoring the run by holding him are much easier to calculate reasonably — the average of Freeburger’s BA and the pitcher’s BA against, plus the odds of a wp/pb or error. Then, remember that if both those probabilities are roughly even, holding him greatly increases the chances of a multi-run inning and us taking the lead.

Reaction Score
It was a shallow fly ball and our best hitter and Big East player of the year was coming up. Unless you're 100% sure Morton scores there you don't send him. On a ball that shallow it's not remotely close to 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom