Men - UConn Baseball @ 2023 NCAA Tournament’s Gainesville Regional (6/2>6/5). Elimination Sunday 6/4/23 v. Florida Gators @Noon on SEC Network | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball @ 2023 NCAA Tournament’s Gainesville Regional (6/2>6/5). Elimination Sunday 6/4/23 v. Florida Gators @Noon on SEC Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Yes, at 50/50 you send him, but the percentages people are throwing out here for the odds of him scoring are just being pulled from the proverbial horse’s butt. The odds of scoring the run by holding him are much easier to calculate reasonably — the average of Freeburger’s BA and the pitcher’s BA against, plus the odds of a wp/pb or error. Then, remember that if both those probabilities are roughly even, holding him greatly increases the chances of a multi-run inning and us taking the lead.

It’s just been a common theme and frustration through the years, poor baserunning decisions. Why get aggressive and try to steal second with 2 outs in the 7th and then waste Morton on 3rd one inning later? I’m perfectly fine being aggressive on both there. If you’re nailed at the plate you tip your cap.

Reaction Score
I just checked, and that is the case. UConn in that stretch of 9 Tourneys in 13 seasons has always won at least 1 game in the Regional round.
And that's honestly insane to me! I don't know that even many of the national powerhouses/perennial title contenders can say that

Reaction Score
That fly out was shallow. Aggressive is one thing but even with Morton you are just running into an out unless the outfielder is way off line with the throw. It’s not a 50/50 in my mind, more like 10-20% chance of success.

Reaction Score
The advantage of beating TT is you have a change to get to the finals through the winners bracket. If you assume that either of us or TT loses to UF today (and I guaranty you that neither us nor TT is thinking this way), you’d rather be us on Sunday morning than TT, since they will go with their best pitchers today and we will hope to save ours and get by Florida A&M with second line pitchers.

Reaction Score
Yeah, between the errors in the field and the getting pinched hit for in recent games, it turns out not to be a big surprise.
Disagree. I’m really, really surprised. I don’t think Padilla has sat for a game the entire season. Rear guts ball to make the change now.

Reaction Score
It’s just been a common theme and frustration through the years, poor baserunning decisions. Why get aggressive and try to steal second with 2 outs in the 7th and then waste Morton on 3rd one inning later? I’m perfectly fine being aggressive on both there. If you’re nailed at the plate you tip your cap.
That’s a truly shallow analysis. You are basing it on “aggressive” versus “non-aggressive” with literally zero consideration of relevant percentages of success. You should want us to be aggressive when it makes sense and conservative when it makes sense. “Aggressive” versus “non-aggressive” is literally for 50/50 calls, and sending Drew Kron in a game where we had 2 hits in 6 and 2/3 innings was a smart call by the percentages.

Reaction Score
Disagree. I’m really, really surprised. I don’t think Padilla has sat for a game the entire season. Rear guts ball to make the change now.

Yes, Padilla has started every game this season up until now. Thing is, combined with the problems Padilla has had of late, it would seem the coaching staff also really want to get Daniels back into the lineup.

Reaction Score
Yes, Padilla has started every game this season up until now. Thing is, combined with the problems Padilla has had of late, it would seem the coaching staff also really want to get Daniels back into the lineup.
Penders just mentioned on pre-game that Padilla hasn’t been himself and they are just looking to get a lift by getting Daniels’ bat in line-up and he is a better match-up against FAMU pitcher.

Reaction Score

I would say, what took them so long?

This is crunch time. Win or go home. He's had problems and was given the time to get right

Reaction Score
Top 1st, Freeberger with a 2 out single. Huber follows with an extra base hit, but Freeberger is thrown out at the plate for the final out of the inning. No score.

Well, at least UConn got a couple of early hits, a big difference from yesterday, that is for sure.

Reaction Score
Bottom 1st, FAMU with a 2 out solo homer, 1-0 FAMU. After a 2 out single, Ellisen gets the final out of the inning.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Top 2nd, UConn batters get 2 walks, but they are left on base. 1-0 FAMU.

Reaction Score
Top 3rd, with 2 out Broadhurst reaches on an infield error to load the bases, but they are left on base. Game tied at 1.

Reaction Score
6 LOB in three innings, plus one out at the plate? (Hard to keep up with no stats available, at least as far as I can get, anyway.)

Reaction Score
Bottom 3rd, a 2 out solo homer for FAMU, 2-1 FAMU. Ellisen now at 34 pitches at the end of the inning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom