Men - UConn Baseball 2022 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2022

Reaction Score
Looking at this USA Today Coaches' Poll over, we come in about 34th place. Everything past 25th isn't ranked, but since the rankings are based purely on a poll count & they list further votes, I think it's fair to say this is our ranking.

So College Baseball Nation has us ranked 49th, USA Today Coaches' Poll has us 34th, Collegiate Baseball has us 27th (which is honestly very charitable and imo a bit too much at this stage), while Baseball America and D1 Baseball (who both, to my knowledge does not list anything past 25) don't have us ranked. - EDIT, NCBWA says we got at least a vote, though past their Top 30 they don't say the total amount of votes received, so can't say anything conclusive. For where we are, we're on the radar.

I think that gives us a good idea of where we stand. I do think we're better than 49th, 34 could be quite fair, and 27 feels just like overselling us. All that said, this is still the nebulous early stages of the season - can't really say anything too conclusive yet.

Reaction Score
Looking at this USA Today Coaches' Poll over, we come in about 34th place. Everything past 25th isn't ranked, but since the rankings are based purely on a poll count & they list further votes, I think it's fair to say this is our ranking.

So College Baseball Nation has us ranked 49th, USA Today Coaches' Poll has us 34th, Collegiate Baseball has us 27th (which is honestly very charitable and imo a bit too much at this stage), while Baseball America and D1 Baseball (who both, to my knowledge does not list anything past 25) don't have us ranked. - EDIT, NCBWA says we got at least a vote, though past their Top 30 they don't say the total amount of votes received, so can't say anything conclusive. For where we are, we're on the radar.

I think that gives us a good idea of where we stand. I do think we're better than 49th, 34 could be quite fair, and 27 feels just like overselling us. All that said, this is still the nebulous early stages of the season - can't really say anything too conclusive yet.

From what I've seen over the last several years, the various college baseball polls are usually all over the map, so to speak. A team can be fairly highly ranked in one, and barely registering in another poll. I think that is because of the nature of college baseball, as opposed to other college sports. It isn't all that unusual for a good team to lose a game to a lesser team in baseball, and it certainly happens more often in baseball than in other college sports.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
College Baseball Nation has us at No. 45! I will say though, they are in my view, less credible than the likes of D1 and Baseball America.

Reaction Score
UConn didn’t break into either the D1Baseball/NCAA’s Top 25 or Baseball America’s Top 25 this week but USC enters the BA poll @ #25. Nice opportunity for Tuesday night’s game!

From the weekly D1Baseball Top 25 Chat Transcript:

“Jordan: When will UConn get some top 25 love?

Kendall Rogers: Jordan — We actually discussed UCONN at length for our Top 25 this week. The Huskies are right on the cusp and definitely on our radar. I’ve been really impressed with their pitching staff without Reggie Crawford. Pat Gallagher and Austin Peterson both threw really well over the weekend. It makes me wonder what the ceiling for this team would be WITH Reggie. Still, Jim Penders is doing Jim Penders things with this club right now. “

Reaction Score

Throw strikes, win games

Just remember, throwing strikes, especially in the college game, is a lot easier said than done. We've certainly seen that in following UConn baseball over the years. Which is why you have to value so highly what the UConn pitchers have been able to do so far this season in terms of their control and throwing strikes. It just doesn't happen like this in the college game all that often.

Reaction Score
Just remember, throwing strikes, especially in the college game, is a lot easier said than done. We've certainly seen that in following UConn baseball over the years. Which is why you have to value so highly what the UConn pitchers have been able to do so far this season in terms of their control and throwing strikes. It just doesn't happen like this in the college game all that often.
It’s outstanding what this pitching staff has been able to do this year. Josh MacDonald has really had them coming out throwing with a lot of confidence and it’s been amazing to see all the pitchers have a ton of success.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed and granted I have not been able to watch a ton of innings so it may just be an anomaly. They all seem to work very quickly. This is refreshing particularly considering they grew up watching major leaguers and all of the slow pitching pace that permeates that game.

Reaction Score
Breaking into the neighborhood:

-> Connecticut also made its season debut in the rankings, entering at No. 25 after improving to 5-2 on its two-week West Coast road trip. The Huskies are 14-3 despite playing all but one of their games in either Florida or California, against quality competition. <-

Reaction Score
Must still be on the cusp for BaseballAmerica Poll:

Up to #18 in the Perfect Game poll:

Reaction Score
UConn hangs in @ #25 in this week’s D1Baseball/NCAA Weekly Top 25

UConn did not make BaseballAmerica’s Top 25:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads