UConn Baseball 2021 | Page 22 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2021

Reaction Score
Is there a third team? A little disappointed to not see Christian Fedko on either the first or second team. I know he was struggling towards the end but he’s always been a really good player. Also a little disappointed to see Ben on the second team, lot he was one of the best starters in the league

Reaction Score
Is there a third team? A little disappointed to not see Christian Fedko on either the first or second team. I know he was struggling towards the end but he’s always been a really good player. Also a little disappointed to see Ben on the second team, lot he was one of the best starters in the league
Theres only 8 teams in the league so a third isnt really necessary.

Also interesting that there were two catchers on the first team due to a tie so Winkel was essentially the 3rd vote getter but he seemed to have better stats than each of them with just a slightly lower BA.

Reaction Score
Geno and his relationship with UConn Baseball:

Alternate access link here <<

-> Some coaches coach a sport, or coach players who play that sport. The best coaches are the ones who coach people. Auriemma finds that common ground, the messaging that would work for his team and alsofor completely different athletes playing a different sport. He’s a long-time baseball fan and told the UConn players that following baseball in Philadelphia helped him learn English as a kid from Italy.

“I enjoy that kind of stuff, and sometimes I learn more than they do because of being around them,” Auriemma said. “Plus, I love baseball. The two things I noticed about both of those programs, softball and baseball, is the incredible relationships between coaches and players, and between the players themselves. And that, to me, is a common thread. The coaches have great relationships with the players and as a byproduct of that, the players have amazing relationships with each other. They end up playing for each other.” <-

-> He also gave the Huskies some words of encouragement.“Getting beat is honorable if somebody comes out and just kicks your [butt],” he told the baseball players. “Losing is unacceptable at anytime, anywhere, any how. Make these next four or five days special.” For the Huskies, it was a special spark before they boarded their plane for the Big East tournament in Ohio.

“It’s just an honor to share the profession and the campus with him,” Penders said. <-

Reaction Score
Geno and his relationship with UConn Baseball:

Alternate access link here <<

-> Some coaches coach a sport, or coach players who play that sport. The best coaches are the ones who coach people. Auriemma finds that common ground, the messaging that would work for his team and alsofor completely different athletes playing a different sport. He’s a long-time baseball fan and told the UConn players that following baseball in Philadelphia helped him learn English as a kid from Italy.

“I enjoy that kind of stuff, and sometimes I learn more than they do because of being around them,” Auriemma said. “Plus, I love baseball. The two things I noticed about both of those programs, softball and baseball, is the incredible relationships between coaches and players, and between the players themselves. And that, to me, is a common thread. The coaches have great relationships with the players and as a byproduct of that, the players have amazing relationships with each other. They end up playing for each other.” <-

-> He also gave the Huskies some words of encouragement.“Getting beat is honorable if somebody comes out and just kicks your [butt],” he told the baseball players. “Losing is unacceptable at anytime, anywhere, any how. Make these next four or five days special.” For the Huskies, it was a special spark before they boarded their plane for the Big East tournament in Ohio.

“It’s just an honor to share the profession and the campus with him,” Penders said. <-

Dee Rowe was well known for many things, including his support for many different UConn athletics teams. He was always a welcome presence at games, practices, events or whatever. I'm getting the idea that Geno is partly taking over this role now that Dee Rowe is gone. I guess if Geno wants to continue turning into Dee Rowe, he should start having some meals with Andy Baylock to continue that old tradition of Dee's.

By the way, speaking of Baylock, I read recently that he is going to be helping out the Norwich team in the Futures League. For many years Baylock has thrown batting practice at Dodd Stadium for the Norwich minor league team. I don't know if his involvement this season is going to expand beyond that, but the Sea Unicorns are being managed by Devin Belenski, who until recently was the Director of Player Development for UConn baseball.

Reaction Score
Dee Rowe was well known for many things, including his support for many different UConn athletics teams. He was always a welcome presence at games, practices, events or whatever. I'm getting the idea that Geno is partly taking over this role now that Dee Rowe is gone. I guess if Geno wants to continue turning into Dee Rowe, he should start having some meals with Andy Baylock to continue that old tradition of Dee's.

Guessing Geno and Jim made a pact w/ Dee to pay it forward...

-> Former UConn men’s basketball coach Jim Calhoun, who has frequently addressed the team in past years, also came to a game, telling Penders he was filling in for Dee Rowe, a passionate baseball supporter who passed away last January. <-

Reaction Score
Guessing Geno and Jim made a pact w/ Dee to pay it forward...

-> Former UConn men’s basketball coach Jim Calhoun, who has frequently addressed the team in past years, also came to a game, telling Penders he was filling in for Dee Rowe, a passionate baseball supporter who passed away last January. <-

That would certainly be a good guess. Geno and Calhoun certainly both have the personalities and probably the fame that partly would be needed for filling in for the Dee Row UConn athletics ambassador role. Good for them.

Reaction Score
That would certainly be a good guess. Geno and Calhoun certainly both have the personalities and probably the fame that partly would be needed for filling in for the Dee Row UConn athletics ambassador role. Good for them.
Geno yes. Calhoun... no. He is no Dee.

Reaction Score
Anyone here ever bought UConn Baseball jerseys? Worth the high price tag or are the kinda underwhelming? I like having a jersey for some of my favorite teams, I have an old 80's Detroit Tigers home jersey + recently got a Hartford Athletic soccer jersey.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Anyone here ever bought UConn Baseball jerseys? Worth the high price tag or are the kinda underwhelming? I like having a jersey for some of my favorite teams, I have an old 80's Detroit Tigers home jersey + recently got a Hartford Athletic soccer jersey.
If they are out there, let me know. I would buy one in a New York minute!

Reaction Score
So we'll likely lose both Winkels and Langer from the starting lineup and Casparius/Wurster/Polonia from the weekend starters and big RPs. Anyone else I'm missing?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Dreaming but if Casparius is drafted lower than he should be & returns...and Frank makes it to campus...next year would be monstrous. I can dream.

Reaction Score
So we'll likely lose both Winkels and Langer from the starting lineup and Casparius/Wurster/Polonia from the weekend starters and big RPs. Anyone else I'm missing?

Next season is certainly going to be a rebuilding/restocking effort, a lot of big names will be gone from both the pitchers and the position players.

I would think Casparius will get drafted and go. Polonia and Haus were both seniors, so they will be gone. Austin Peterson may be drafted, and I understand Gallagher is eligible for the draft as well. Wurster could be gone as well, although I do like the idea of him returning and becoming a starter (I wouldn't count on it, but it certainly sounds like an interesting idea. There are a bunch of guys like Simeone, Dunlop, Wang, and Mayock who received their degrees, I am not about to speculate on if they would come back.

On the field, the Fedko's and Winkel's are most likely all gone, although of the four of them I suppose there is a chance Christian could conceivably be back. He has a nice bat, but I'm not sure his fielding will get him drafted. He received his degree, so we'll see what happens with him. Bushling may or may not be back. As for guys from the bench, Devenney and Langer are gone as seniors/Grad students, and who knows about guys like Maycock and Hague.

It would seem the Brown and Crawford will be back on the corners, with Simmons and possibly Ferrer in the outfield. Depending on who does comes back, there will be a lot of patching up in the lineup and the mound. It will certainly be a brand new team. With or without Mozzicato, I'm sure the coaching staff will bring in a bunch of interesting recruits, whether they are freshmen or transfers of various stripes. Plus, it is always interesting to see what UConn player who did not get much or any playing time the previous season makes a jump in their ability to play. I'm inclined to think there will be a lot of good competition for playing time, but as I said before, it will be something of a rebuilding year.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Dreaming but if Casparius is drafted lower than he should be & returns...and Frank makes it to campus...next year would be monstrous. I can dream.
I believe he was projected around the 160th best draft prospect, which would put him in 6th round. Whether that debacle vs ND has a significant negative effect on that position is yet to be determined, but it's probably around a quarter mill. He has some leverage as a junior, but not as much as he'd have had if not for Covid reducing the # of draft rounds last year. He'll lose whatever leverage he has if he stays for his senior year, but if he can improve his draft position to get into 4th round or better, that'll double or triple his slot money.

Mozzicato is somewhere between 50-75 on top prospect lists, so possible late 2nd round/early 3rd, slots that are still low 7 figures. I'd put it about 80-20 he goes in draft and signs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom