UConn Baseball 2021 | Page 23 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2021

Reaction Score
My way too early predictions for Opening Day lineup and I don't know any new players other than the C who has been mentioned in the recruiting section. Of course I know there will be transfers, but this is going off what we have today.

LF- Stock
CF - Simmons
RF- Ferrer
3B- Brown
SS- Padilla
2B- Fedko (Hope) More than likely - David Smith
1B- Crawford
C- Garbowski
DH - ?? Some newcomer or Ferrer and newcomer in RF

Reaction Score
My way too early predictions for Opening Day lineup and I don't know any new players other than the C who has been mentioned in the recruiting section. Of course I know there will be transfers, but this is going off what we have today.

LF- Stock
CF - Simmons
RF- Ferrer
3B- Brown
SS- Padilla
2B- Fedko (Hope) More than likely - David Smith
1B- Crawford
C- Garbowski
DH - ?? Some newcomer or Ferrer and newcomer in RF

I neglected to mention Stock, my mistake. He could very well be gone as well, possibly to the draft. It would be great if he comes back, but I'm not counting on it. An automatic starter if he does return.

Reaction Score
I can only imagine that what we saw with football and basketball could happen with baseball and there could be a flood of kids hitting transfer market. With so many potential holes (I can’t disagree with anything you said @dbmill) there could be a possibility to add to the talent and depth via that route. Penders has shown a pension for not only taking transfers but having them excel in his program so we could be an attractive destination for kids who for whatever reason want to move on.

Reaction Score
I can only imagine that what we saw with football and basketball could happen with baseball and there could be a flood of kids hitting transfer market. With so many potential holes (I can’t disagree with anything you said @dbmill) there could be a possibility to add to the talent and depth via that route. Penders has shown a pension for not only taking transfers but having them excel in his program so we could be an attractive destination for kids who for whatever reason want to move on.

That would certainly fall into transfers of various stripes. UConn has already gotten players such as Casparius, Stock, Willis and others from D1 schools, no reason not to expect it to continue. As always, always interested to see what California JUCO's come in as well.

Reaction Score
That would certainly fall into transfers of various stripes. UConn has already gotten players such as Casparius, Stock, Willis and others from D1 schools, no reason not to expect it to continue. As always, always interested to see what California JUCO's come in as well.
Yes definitely will be a large amount of transfers this year. A lot of younger kids got hit with a log jam of players when the extra year of eligibility was given. Hopefully we can find some key arms and position players.

Reaction Score
Yes definitely will be a large amount of transfers this year. A lot of younger kids got hit with a log jam of players when the extra year of eligibility was given. Hopefully we can find some key arms and position players.
We also have kids already in the program who got caught in an internal Husky position log-jam. The fall will be interesting to see who rises up.

Reaction Score
We also have kids already in the program who got caught in an internal Husky position log-jam. The fall will be interesting to see who rises up.

One of the reasons I'm always interested in checking out what various Huskies are doing in summer ball.

Reaction Score
Very true. Tough position for a lot of kids. Grass isn’t always greener when transferring.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I think Korey Morton is in line to start in the outfield. I think we will see Padilla or Tall Todd at SS and look for Phoenix Billings to either be in the outfield or infield. Heard great things about him and especially his athleticism. Basically, maybe 3 non pitcher returnees. Other than Crawford, I don't think we will see another big bopper unless somehow Ben Maycock makes it into the lineup.

From a pitching standpoint, I can see an almost new staff with Favieiri, Marrero, Coe, McBride and Gallagher returning. Just my 2 cents.

Reaction Score
I think Korey Morton is in line to start in the outfield. I think we will see Padilla or Tall Todd at SS and look for Phoenix Billings to either be in the outfield or infield. Heard great things about him and especially his athleticism. Basically, maybe 3 non pitcher returnees. Other than Crawford, I don't think we will see another big bopper unless somehow Ben Maycock makes it into the lineup.

From a pitching standpoint, I can see an almost new staff with Favieiri, Marrero, Coe, McBride and Gallagher returning. Just my 2 cents.

One noteworthy item is that Padilla was traveling with the team late in the season despite that it was obvious that he was being redshirted. You never know what is going to happen, but it would not surprise me if he takes the shortstop job if Bushling does not return. I'm inclined to think the transfer from LaSalle, David Smith, is the prime candidate for 2B assuming the likelihood of Christian Fedko not returning.

Reaction Score
I thought that Kyler isn't draft eligible. Whats the deal here?
I know Stock is eligible and had an awesome year. I'd LOVE to have him back. Such a GREAT Bat and Glove.
Excited for Phoenix Billings and Garbowski. Real studs.
Hope Maycock makes it in lineup.
If Frankie Mozzicato makes it to Storrs what would be AMAZING!

Reaction Score
I thought that Kyler isn't draft eligible. Whats the deal here?
I know Stock is eligible and had an awesome year. I'd LOVE to have him back. Such a GREAT Bat and Glove.
Excited for Phoenix Billings and Garbowski. Real studs.
Hope Maycock makes it in lineup.
If Frankie Mozzicato makes it to Storrs what would be AMAZING!

Generally speaking in a normal year, juniors are eligible for the draft. This was Kyler's third year in Storrs, so he is most definitely eligible. Don't be fooled by the label of him being a sophomore, as that takes into account everyone being granted an extra year of eligibility.

Some sophomores are eligible for the draft as well, depending on their date of birth. I have heard that Pat Gallagher is eligible as well, but I suspect he will be back in Storrs.

If Ben Maycock returns, I believe that would be his sixth year in Storrs. His first season he was cut from the baseball roster.

Reaction Score
40 runs allowed in 2 games? Pitching weakness?
Take it with a grain of salt somewhat. The ND 26 runs was inflated in that we threw in the towel mid way through the game to save whatever arms we had left to come out of the losers bracket. But yes, I agree, still not a good look optically.

Reaction Score

Also, due to the nature of college baseball with roster limits and limits on scholarships, every year UConn has a few players transferring out of the program. It would not be a big surprise to see this happen this summer and fall as well, in fact it is pretty much an expecting thing to happen.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The deluge of players staying behind and playing another season has an effect on the MLB draft - guys like Gallagher who had a decent year might have been drafted under normal circumstances late round. With all the guys who came back eligible for the draft plus less rounds, guys who are later picks will probably return to college.

Reaction Score
There are a bunch of guys like Simeone, Dunlop, Wang, and Mayock who received their degrees, I am not about to speculate on if they would come back.
Angus Mayock is the first Husky to show up in the transfer portal

Reaction Score
Angus Mayock is the first Husky to show up in the transfer portal

He joins David Christoforo (C) and Tommy Benincaso (Bullpen catcher headed to ECSU). They list David and Tommy under “Connecticut”)

Tommy Benincaso is on the summer ball roster of the New Britain Bees of the Futures League.

Every summer several UConn baseball players transfer out of the program. I would be surprised if Angus Mayock is the last UConn player to show up in the transfer portal, especially considering the number of players who got their degrees at the end of the season who also have eligibility remaining, plus the small number of scholarships to go around in general in college baseball to begin with. A bigger draw for someone to come back to the program is if they look like they are in line to get a goodly amount of playing time next season. Still, I have to imagine scholarship money is always a big part of it as well.

Also, UConn has a sizable freshman recruiting class coming in for next season, plus a couple players that we already know of who are transferring in, plus a few players who were either hurt or ineligible to play last season who will be available next season. Plus, there still could be the odd transfer that we don't know about yet who we find out about.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom