U17 and U18 recruiting target observations | Page 35 | The Boneyard

U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

Reaction Score
Banks was an interesting situation. Reportedly, her injuries and lack of PT affected her confidence. If she had gotten her confidence back, I think the minutes were there.

For Sadie, the amount of work required may have been a factor, not limited PT per se.

Confidence can breed minutes. Without confidence no minutes. Thus a personal decision was made by Banks knowing that she'll play for a less-winning team that would give her more minutes in which she hoped would build her confidence. How often do we hear "if such0and-such player doesn't have to worry if she gets pulled by making one mistake? Getting pulled so quickly after one mistake ruins her confidence?" IMO that is what happened Banks.

As for Sadie- if she doesn't have to work as hard for another team - she can get more minutes. But the end game was "more minutes" regardless of how hard she had to work.

Reaction Score
Confidence can breed minutes. Without confidence no minutes. Thus a personal decision was made by Banks knowing that she'll play for a less-winning team that would give her more minutes in which she hoped would build her confidence. How often do we hear "if such0and-such player doesn't have to worry if she gets pulled by making one mistake? Getting pulled so quickly after one mistake ruins her confidence?" IMO that is what happened Banks.

As for Sadie- if she doesn't have to work as hard for another team - she can get more minutes. But the end game was "more minutes" regardless of how hard she had to work.

How many points per game does one need in order to be considered a "scorer" ?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I believe she's only considering Texas A&M and Kansas... but I could be very wrong.

That's what I've been reading for the last few weeks, as well. Supposed to be a very aggressive player. I have no idea about Kansas, but would seem to fit well into Texas A&M's approach. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
I don't agree overall with what you're saying. This is like what many say of super recruits such as Baylor when they got Cox. There were a lot of centers or other big players- but Cox is so good- she'll be getting minutes. Same with CWill. Walker's best position will probably be sf. Coombs is not a scorer, and Hunter is questionable if she is a scorer and Lexi is a 3/4. While CWill is supposedly an elite scoring sg. If CWILL comes, just like Cox, just like Walker, she'll find minutes. UCONN will annihilate so many teams that minutes will never be the negative imo you are portraying unless everything UCONN has recruited is super super. Which is never the case for all players. Some yes- but not all.

I'm curious about what makes you say that Coombs is not a scorer or that AEH is questionable as a scorer?How much have you seen these girls play? From what I've seen, AEH (in person) has unlimited 3 point range and is a natural scorer.............I have only seen Coombs online and she looks to have a pretty good mid range game and is super aggressive driving to the basket............there's also nothing supposed about CW's scoring ability..............she is a sniper of the highest order and can also get to the basket off the dribble with great ease...............

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I believe she's only considering Texas A&M and Kansas... but I could be very wrong.

That's what I've been reading for the last few weeks, as well. Supposed to be a very aggressive player. I have no idea about Kansas, but would seem to fit well into Texas A&M's approach. Stay tuned.

Better Texas A&M then Texas!!
BeRaoul ‏@Raoul_000 8m8 minutes ago
WBB: Texas A&M lands top-10 2017 prospect Chennedy Carter, 5-9 G, Timberview HS (Arlington, TX); Kansas was her other finalist.

Bingo!

Reaction Score
I'm curious about what makes you say that Coombs is not a scorer or that AEH is questionable as a scorer?How much have you seen these girls play? From what I've seen, AEH (in person) has unlimited 3 point range and is a natural scorer...I have only seen Coombs online and she looks to have a pretty good mid range game and is super aggressive driving to the basket..there's also nothing supposed about CW's scoring ability....she is a sniper of the highest order and can also get to the basket off the dribble with great ease.....

Coombs is a SUPER ATHLETE!!! it's a bit naive of UCONN fans to think their own players can't score! I seen her play this summer for FBC MO along with SC recruit Bianca Jackson and Tenn recruit KK and boy can she score! All three are going to be great additions to their team but to say she can't score is a bit idiotic IMO

Reaction Score
How many points per game does one need in order to be considered a "scorer" ?

It depends. You know when I play organized ball back in the 1700's :) I was more of a passer. We had scorers far superior than I. I was more of a passer and defender. But I could go to an open gym and be a pretty good scorer. Get my point? UCONN is a GIANT.

Also it depends on pace also, right? A player that averages 13 ppg could be considered a good scorer in a slow paced attack along with the team have a "grind-em" defense. A team playing full press for 40 minutes and a player who gets most of his points off steals or on fastbreaks in which he does nothing but run up the court and get hit with passes, is he or she a "true scorer?" When you put that "scorer" on another team that plays slow ball, all of sudden the scorer is no longer that but more like a Steve Kerr, right?

Reaction Score
I'm curious about what makes you say that Coombs is not a scorer or that AEH is questionable as a scorer? How much have you seen these girls play? From what I've seen, AEH (in person) has unlimited 3 point range and is a natural scorer...I have only seen Coombs online and she looks to have a pretty good mid range game and is super aggressive driving to the basket..there's also nothing supposed about CW's scoring ability....she is a sniper of the highest order and can also get to the basket off the dribble with great ease.....

I'm sort of concerned about your tone. Should I be???? :):):)

Okay I'll play though I hope insults won't fly at me? :):):)
Can I ask you a favor? After I give my opinions and I expect you'll tell me why I'm so wrong :) -- can I ask what you think of Brianna Banks as a scorer? Last year at Penn State she averaged 13.4 ppg. Would you consider her a scorer? I don't. There was a time when Brianna was hitting outside shots and she was able to take the ball to the basket too. Just like what you say about Coombs.

***And I just want to add - I don't believe you need to be a scorer in order to be absolutely terrific. Kelly Farris case in point. VS a Tenn sg I forget her name, the Tenn player was a scorer but Kelly far superior. Scoring can be flash with little substance.

---------
I don't consider Coombs a scorer. She averaged 13.5 last year. UCONN's women's program is the greatest basketball of all-time. Geno often says for freshman that sometimes they forget to do what they are good at/were good ta that made them so good. If Coombs was such a scorer she'd be averaging more than 13.5. Matter of fact, that's about what Brianna Banks averaged I believe in high school. You may have seen Coombs in moments. I don't know if anyone can recall though how awesome Banks looked at the McD A/A game in her senior year. So I don't doubt you have seen some very fine play, we've seen it from Banks too (in that McD A/A game she looked absolutely terrific), but a scorer for this program, it is rare that a 13.5 ppg small guard scorer can be considered an impact scorer vs other super teams while she was recruited for team already loaded with scoring.

Anyhow, the key question is what does Coombs do best? It's not scoring. It can't be from the stats I see. My guess from what I've read and you haven't quoted me some unreal scoring games ,is that she is a super-heart gritty player extremely strong with the ball and a fabulous athlete that plays the game with rough swagger and speed. I see on this site a thread in which Geno is discussing Maya and Walker in the same sentence. I expect at some point we'll hear Coombs more in the all grit and heart team with terrific athleticism and feel for the game talk-- not the Maya talk like Walker is. But coombs has "A winner" written all over her based on how she bounced back from her injury and is still considered elite. A potential all-american that won't be defined by her scoring. She might not turn into that, but from what I read it seems possible.

As for Andra-- I did say "questionable" which means I think she "can be" which I don't really think Coombs will be a consistent impact scorer. The reason why I won't near guarantee Andra is "a scorer" (do you agree we can near guarantee Walker and can near guarantee CWill?) is that I hear her shot is "sweet." If her shot is so sweet then why isn't she without a doubt consistently ranked higher? I read she is very high on some but from what I read about her shot - it's extremely sweet so I question why she isn't higher. And I pick up from reading the following:

Future Huskie Espinoza-Hunter showing age just a number

The following comment in bold from the article above is all but telling us why she may have been "37 ranked" by hoopgurlz. So yeah I said "she is questionable to be a scorer (I meant impact all-american type of scorer) but by now I hope you get a feel of what I mean in that just because I don't categorize a player as a near-guarantee impact all-american scorer it doesn't mean I don't believe they can't be absolutely terrific. Plus I left open the door for Andra because I read from posters like you or read articles from the boneyard etc. A sweet shooter always has a shot to be tremendous. But following basketball over 40 years which I have and I'm sure you have been following a long time too- we have seen many super shooters that couldn't turn the corner and be great scorers because they didn't have the combination of quickness and handle and in some cases size Right?

That's why I disagreed with that poster about a scoring guard. CWill is near-guarantee to be a scorer from all I've read and from my experience of The Great Auriemma. UCONN can use that and I have to believe anyone ranked as high as CWill is pretty darn confident she can play anywhere just like Cox was confident with Baylor.

"Ballhandling is one thing I'm really focused on," Espinoza-Hunter said. "I think I've improved taking a defender off the dribble and getting my shot off. I know that I need to be able to be more than a perimeter shooter. I have to be able to get to the basket. "

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can I ask you a favor? After I give my opinions and I expect you'll tell me why I'm so wrong :) -- can I ask what you think of Brianna Banks as a scorer? Last year at Penn State she averaged 13.4 ppg. Would you consider her a scorer? I don't. There was a time when Brianna was hitting outside shots and she was able to take the ball to the basket too. Just like what you say about Coombs.

***And I just want to add - I don't believe you need to be a scorer in order to be absolutely terrific. Kelly Farris case in point. VS a Tenn sg I forget her name, the Tenn player was a scorer but Kelly far superior. Scoring can be flash with little substance.

---------
I don't consider Coombs a scorer. She averaged 13.5 last year. UCONN's women's program is the greatest basketball of all-time. Geno often says for freshman that sometimes they forget to do what they are good at/were good ta that made them so good. If Coombs was such a scorer she'd be averaging more than 13.5. Matter of fact, that's about what Brianna Banks averaged I believe in high school. You may have seen Coombs in moments. I don't know if anyone can recall though how awesome Banks looked at the McD A/A game in her senior year. So I don't doubt you have seen some very fine play, we've seen it from Banks too (in that McD A/A game she looked absolutely terrific), but a scorer for this program, it is rare that a 13.5 ppg small guard scorer can be considered an impact scorer vs other super teams while she was recruited for team already loaded with scoring.

Anyhow, the key question is what does Coombs do best? It's not scoring. It can't be from the stats I see. My guess from what I've read and you haven't quoted me some unreal scoring games ,is that she is a super-heart gritty player extremely strong with the ball and a fabulous athlete that plays the game with rough swagger and speed. I see on this site a thread in which Geno is discussing Maya and Walker in the same sentence. I expect at some point we'll hear Coombs more in the all grit and heart team with terrific athleticism and feel for the game talk-- not the Maya talk like Walker is. But coombs has "A winner" written all over her based on how she bounced back from her injury and is still considered elite. A potential all-american that won't be defined by her scoring. She might not turn into that, but from what I read it seems possible.

As for Andra-- I did say "questionable" which means I think she "can be" which I don't really think Coombs will be a consistent impact scorer. The reason why I won't near guarantee Andra is "a scorer" (do you agree we can near guarantee Walker and can near guarantee CWill?) is that I hear her shot is "sweet." If her shot is so sweet then why isn't she without a doubt consistently ranked higher? I read she is very high on some but from what I read about her shot - it's extremely sweet so I question why she isn't higher. And I pick up from reading the following:

Future Huskie Espinoza-Hunter showing age just a number

The following comment in bold from the article above is all but telling us why she may have been "37 ranked" by hoopgurlz. So yeah I said "she is questionable to be a scorer (I meant impact all-american type of scorer) but by now I hope you get a feel of what I mean in that just because I don't categorize a player as a near-guarantee impact all-american scorer it doesn't mean I don't believe they can't be absolutely terrific. Plus I left open the door for Andra because I read from posters like you or read articles from the boneyard etc. A sweet shooter always has a shot to be tremendous. But following basketball over 40 years which I have and I'm sure you have been following a long time too- we have seen many super shooters that couldn't turn the corner and be great scorers because they didn't have the combination of quickness and handle and in some cases size Right?

That's why I disagreed with that poster about a scoring guard. CWill is near-guarantee to be a scorer from all I've read and from my experience of The Great Auriemma. UCONN can use that and I have to believe anyone ranked as high as CWill is pretty darn confident she can play anywhere just like Cox was confident with Baylor.

"Ballhandling is one thing I'm really focused on," Espinoza-Hunter said. "I think I've improved taking a defender off the dribble and getting my shot off. I know that I need to be able to be more than a perimeter shooter. I have to be able to get to the basket. "

The major flaw in your analysis is the reliance on the HS numbers to project who will be a scorer at UCONN. HS BB is so vastly varied by competition, coaching, and because we have 50 states in the union. Recently we had a kid average 21.5 points per game in the Philly suburbs who did not get a single DI or DII offer. In order to be a scorer at UCONN you have get minutes on the floor. Minutes on the floor is often determined by other things besides scoring. Things like ability to defend your position, play multiple positions, and fill a role on the roster. Kiah Stokes averaged more than 25? points/ game in HS but the role she played at UCONN was largely defensive. UCONN doesn't recruit Kids that cannot score and Mikayla scoring 13.5 points per game coming off an ACL injury is not bad. Mikayla is athletically explosive, combo guard who puts immense pressure on the ball handler. Comparable to Bria Hartley who virtually no one predicted would be "scorer" at UCONN. CWill is a great player who is making up her mind about UCONN. Mikayla already has made up her mind.

Reaction Score
The major flaw in your analysis is the reliance on the HS numbers to project who will be a scorer at UCONN. HS BB is so vastly varied by competition, coaching, and because we have 50 states in the union. Recently we had a kid average 21.5 points per game in the Philly suburbs who did not get a single DI or DII offer. In order to be a scorer at UCONN you have get minutes on the floor. Minutes on the floor is often determined by other things besides scoring. Things like ability to defend your position, play multiple positions, and fill a role on the roster. Kiah Stokes averaged more than 25? points/ game in HS but the role she played at UCONN was largely defensive. UCONN doesn't recruit Kids that cannot score and Mikayla scoring 13.5 points per game coming off an ACL injury is not bad. Mikayla is athletically explosive, combo guard who puts immense pressure on the ball handler. Comparable to Bria Hartley who virtually no one predicted would be "scorer" at UCONN. CWill is a great player who is making up her mind about UCONN. Mikayla already has made up her mind.

All I'm doing is predicting as of this moment. Predictions can be wrong. But next year and the year after UCONN is going to be supremely elite, correct? How often is a 13.5 ppg h/s scorer going to be an impact scorer for an elite team - especially a guard? So you can't say it is based on nothing.

A kid in high school averaging 21.5 not getting an offer is not taken in the context of my prediction. That's why I made two points prior - one was about me playing for a team that had far superior scorers than I - so I was forced to be a passer and a defender. I go to an open gym and dominate, I'm a scorer. Briana Banks averaging 13.4 ppg in 29.5 minutes for Penn State, is she considered a scorer by UCONN standards? No way but she was a scorer for Penn State. I further explained my reasoning of defining a scorer to another poster just before I posted to Charlie reading how do you define a scorer can be about pace-of-play too.

Many people make predictions or make assumptions of players we haven't seen by what we read from posters like you, charlie, others and take into account rating and take into account what we've seen in the past. For example "who has the best recruiting class?" There becomes an expectation. Would it be wrong to assume based on reading stats and ratings of KLs and Collier that they would be at least reasonably good scorers? You just spoke of her injury. I can accept the possibility - but until someone who watches these kids live like you and Charlie and others say she is a tremendous 3pt shooter who is also great at attacking the rim, how many kids go from a 13.5 ppg scorer in their jr year at UCONN whose shooting strength right now for a guard is "their mid-range game" go on to be a premiere scorer for UCONN? The game is more of the 3-ball and if you're a guard (5'10) it is a lot tougher to be an elite scorer for a beat team like UCONN. Geno has preached often how he likes to have multiple 3pt shooters. I agree with Geno's philosophy so if this kid isn't a 3pt shooter and she is averaging 13.5 ppg - chances are she is not going to be an elite scorer for UCONN. I have the right to change my mind this year!! And next year. And the next year!! :)

And I'm not sure of your point about CWill vs Mikayla. I responded to scgamecock initial point when he or she said:
I would be pretty surprised if UCONN signs anything smaller than a forward in 2018...

coco- would you be surprised if CWill committed to UCONN? If you wouldn't be surprised, what strengths does CWill bring that possibly the team can use? I think "a possibility" is elite scoring from the sg position in which Walker would play the sf. Am I definitely wrong about this?

Reaction Score
With the talk of Williams 18 being down to Uocnn and Baylor, the lack of guard depth could help in Baylor favor.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Grace Berger, a 2018 guard from Sacred Heart Academy in Louisville, has committed to Indiana University. During the summer, when we were not megatronning, a few of us discussed tape on this combo guard. Coach Jeff W and Kentucky had met with her but she's headed up Rte. 31 to Bloomington.
For some reasons, a few thoughts hit me on a commitment that I have not been following -- save for that one posting -- all that much:

- Grace Berg, a 6'0" wing from Iowa committed to Missouri for the Class of 2018. Berg. Berger. 5 number-ratings drop per extra letter. Both committed to Midwest schools.
- Is it just me or do Kentucky kids seem to commit early? That's the third Kentucky player in the 2018 Hoopgurlz Top 60 to commit already, joining guard Seygan Robins (Kentucky) and Blair Green (Louisville). Could the early visits/interest of Coach Jeff and Matthew Mitchell -- two recruiting robins if we ever knew any -- get the kids conditioned to hit the early "go" button?
- Well, the other Kentucky prospect on the list - PG MyKasa Robinson - was visited by ND coaches so we'll see if that trend continues. Maybe she'll follow Erin Boley -- another Kentuckian -- who decided on the Irish very early and commit early. I doubt it (she's a highly rated prospect), but you can hope.
- Indiana coach Teri Moren is quietly building a nice program in Bloomington. She made the NCAA's last year and just signed a 5-person class for 2017 that Prospects Nation ranked #13 in the country (see link below). And now Berger.
#IUWBB Signs Five for 2017

On the court, the Hoosiers just blew out Vanderbilt, 94-61 (sorry Steph), behind Tyra Buss, who reached 1,000 points just into her junior year.

OK, that's the scoop on Graces and Berg(er)s, IU and the like. ;):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
With the talk of Williams 18 being down to Uocnn and Baylor, the lack of guard depth could help in Baylor favor.

That may be the case but I have not seen or heard that those are her final two...............where is that info coming from?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
That may be the case but I have not seen or heard that those are her final two.....where is that info coming from?

I'd be interested in hearing that, as well. Last thing I've seen about her status on this and McGraw's Bench was
this ditty,which noted that Texas was out of the mix:

She has some trips planned this fall, then presumably another round of cuts?

But if she's accelerated, let us know!

Reaction Score

---------

As for Andra-- I did say "questionable" which means I think she "can be" which I don't really think Coombs
"

No insults coming from me, just wondered if you had seen something that I hadn't...............I don't think a sure thing exists when it comes to college recruiting...........I look at the player's athletic ability and skill set along with their attitude..........if they all check out then I know that player has a chance to make an impact at the next level..............from what I have seen, Coombs may well be the most athletic of the new recruits, she appears to have a solid mid range jump shot and she has a nasty (in a good way) attitude..............Russell Westbrook was certainly not known as a prolific shooter when he reached the NBA but he certainly became a scorer by using his superior athleticism ...............not exactly equating that to Coombs but just saying you can be a scorer without being a great outside shooter..........AEH is a good not great athlete which may hurt her in the rankings but there is no question that she can shoot the ball from anywhere on the court...........I will be seeing her in person this winter and will be watching closely to see if her game has improved in her senior year..................

Reaction Score
I'd be interested in hearing that, as well. Last thing I've seen about her status on this and McGraw's Bench was
this ditty,which noted that Texas was out of the mix:

She has some trips planned this fall, then presumably another round of cuts?

But if she's accelerated, let us know!

Not sure if you have been following the events with the basketball tam at U of Arkansas but CW seemed pretty upset with the way the program handled the players and the way many of the hardcore fans got very nasty........I think that most likely eliminated any thoughts she might be having of staying home

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Everyone gets 12 minutes? ;)
Someone leaves or gets a redshirt. We don't know when the transfers are leaving. BYers are assuming they all stay for the extra year. I think it's likely, but I have no idea. Maybe Geno does.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Brown said she likes Louisville, but I'm not sure when that was. Does L'ville have another point guard signed?

Yes, and a top-flight one it is: Dana Evans, the #7 Hoopgurlz prospect in 2017, from northwest Indiana. In the same class, Lindsay Duvall, the #22 Hoopgurlz prospect, is a 5'9" pg from Kentucky who signed earlier. So there's already
a double-dip in the class.

In 2018, Seygan Robins -- described as both a combo- and off-guard, is signed for Louisville. She's from Mercer Country, KY, and is #41 in the 2018 Hoopgurlz rankings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom