U17 and U18 recruiting target observations | Page 34 | The Boneyard

U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If we have enough for 3 then Go after three elite stars in the 2018 class - two bigs and a guard. We have enough for 3, right?

On our roster will be: (1) Azura, (2) Katie, (3) Napheesa, (4) Molly, (5) Crystal, (6) Kyla, (7) Batouly, (8) Andra, (9) Lexi, (10) Mikalya, and (11) Megan.
That leaves three, right?

As others say there will probably be transfers or injury issues. But more importantly once Stevens, KLS and NC go we'll lose size and lose a certain physicality along with a ton of supreme talent. Potentially three all-americans - and could be 1st team a/a's to boot. As mentioned by coco you don't want to rely on frosh-- though we certainly can and have in the past. With that said, so what if players transfer, what's the big deal? They don't have to transfer but if they choose to, its not a big deal. When we get in conference play and frankly next year and year after if we're healthy- even vs tough teams we'll give young players opportunities. Geno isn't going to play his starters 35 minutes. No more than 30 and even less than that for some. Some players get into the doghouse for a few games then play plenty of minutes in others.

Plus -- can Butler, Stevens, Nurse and Camara all leave one year early? Thus there is some risk. Go after 3.

Is UCONN also going after Nicoletti?
And did I read on this site somewhere that NayLyssa Smith got hurt?
Left off (12) Natalie.
And yes that does leave room for three. And yes Natalie could leave after this her senior academic year, Azura could leave after 2017-18 her senior academic year, and Batouly could leave after 2018-19 her senior academic year (and any of them or any other player could leave anytime for reasons other than go into the WNBA draft.)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't really think that is a valid generalization:
Boykin - left for personal reasons after starting her freshman year injured
Ekmark - left for playing time after not playing well enough in the system to get meaningful minutes
Edwards - left for personal reasons in her freshman year (two months into a season is not about minutes.)
Banks - left for personal reasons after an injury plagued career.
Engeln - Left for playing time after not playing well enough to get meaningful minutes
Johnson - Left for a variety of reasons including playing with her sister after struggling with injuries
Walker - Left for personal reasons

So of the last 7 transfers out four left for personal reasons, while the other three may well have left primarily because of playing time, but the playing time was tied into their ability to perform at the level of their surrounding teammates - in each case there were minutes available on the team the years they left if they had the ability to earn it.
On the current team, we have no idea about our three freshman in terms of their ability nor are we really sure about Butler and I suppose we could say there are questions about our two transfers in, though the general assumption is they have a lot of talent and will thrive. And we of course don't now how the adjustment to Uconn and college will go for our four signees.

On the other side of the 'playing time' issue is a pretty long list of players who have stayed while never cracking the significant playing time equation or not cracking it in their first few years. of the recruited players in the recent past - Chong and Kiah stand out, but Gabby also struggled as a freshman to see meaningful minutes and the jury is out on Butler after an injury plagued first year.
I think it is easier to say "personal reasons" than it is to say "I'm leaving because I'm not getting enough playing time." Courtney & De'Janae are TBD but none got less minutes than they would have had they stayed at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Left off (12) Natalie.
And yes that does leave room for three. And yes Natalie could leave after this her senior academic year, Azura could leave after 2017-18 her senior academic year, and Batouly could leave after 2018-19 her senior academic year (and any of them or any other player could leave anytime for reasons other than go into the WNBA draft.)

Isn't Natalie a junior this year just like Kia and Gabby? Her frosh year at GTOWN. Last year she would have been a soph. This year a jr. So in her sr year we have the 2017 frosh class of Walker and Coombs and Gordon and Hunter as frosh. Then NB would be gone by the time the 2018 class comes around?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
. We have enough for 3, right?
Is UCONN also going after Nicoletti?
And did I read on this site somewhere that NayLyssa Smith got hurt?

No, for the 2018 class we would have room for 4.

Not that I'm aware off. I'been doing my homework on Nicoletti recently and suddenly realized I been watching her over the last two summers playing on Brazil teams. She is an intriguing prospect. C. Williams & Jordan Nixon are the guards that UCONN is believed to be looking at in class '18.

No I'm not aware of any injury with NaLyssa Smith.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it is easier to say "personal reasons" than it is to say "I'm leaving because I'm not getting enough playing time." Courtney & De'Janae are TBD but none got less minutes than they would have had they stayed at UCONN.
But a player leaving in the first semester of their freshman year really is not about minutes - it is about not buying into the coaching or having some personal issue outside basketball. Edwards, Boykin, and Walker all left during or after their first semester, before they could prove one way or another what they could do over time. Courtney, Lauren, and Johnson left once the writing was on the wall.
Ekmark absolutely was about minutes (but I do make a distinction about 'productive minutes' - and a comparison to a player like Gabby or even Kiah who both saw a way forward with responsibility and productivity.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Isn't Natalie a junior this year just like Kia and Gabby? Her frosh year at GTOWN. Last year she would have been a soph. This year a jr. So in her sr year we have the 2017 frosh class of Walker and Coombs and Gordon and Hunter as frosh. Then NB would be gone by the time the 2018 class comes around?
Freshman year Georgetown, Soph year mandated redshirt, Junior injured thumb (last year) = this year is academically her senior year. She has one more year of eligibility, but if her academics are in order she will graduate in May.

Reaction Score
Freshman year Georgetown, Soph year mandated redshirt, Junior injured thumb (last year) = this year is academically her senior year. She has one more year of eligibility, but if her academics are in order she will graduate in May.

Right. So it is I said before - she won't be around for the 2018 class. Which is why we'll have three players fro the 2018 class.
Our roster in the 2018 class will be:

On our roster will be: (1) Azura, (2) Katie, (3) Napheesa, (4) Molly, (5) Crystal, (6) Kyla, (7) Batouly, (8) Andra, (9) Lexi, (10) Mikalya, and (11) Megan.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But a player leaving in the first semester of their freshman year really is not about minutes - it is about not buying into the coaching or having some personal issue outside basketball.
I have to disagree on Sadie specifically and in general. By the time Sadie decided to leave UCONN had been through a loss at Stanford and a fairly tough game at ND. In those game she got a total of 1 Minute in mop up duty at ND. More telling was a game like Creighton a 36 Point UCONN win in which her fellow Freshmen Gabby got 20 Minutes, Kia got 31 Minutes and Sadie got 4 Minutes. Sadie played in 6 games and averaged only 1 minutes more per game than walkon Lawlor. If a McDonalds HS american is getting as much playing time as a walkon I could see how that becomes a very "personal reason" for leaving. I would be disappointed in Sadie or any other HS AA if she did not take that personally.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Unless Geno has firm info about the 3 transfers, I think he needs to be prudent and recruit as if they all leave early.

Given that Natalie and Azura have only 2 seasons left, I think we need more size in the future. I'd like to get 1-2 out of the group of Nelson-Ododa, Collier, and Smith. I also think Christyn Williams is a UConn lean and far too good to give up on--or let anyone else get.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't really think that is a valid generalization:
Boykin - left for personal reasons after starting her freshman year injured
Ekmark - left for playing time after not playing well enough in the system to get meaningful minutes
Edwards - left for personal reasons in her freshman year (two months into a season is not about minutes.)
Banks - left for personal reasons after an injury plagued career.
Engeln - Left for playing time after not playing well enough to get meaningful minutes
Johnson - Left for a variety of reasons including playing with her sister after struggling with injuries
Walker - Left for personal reasons

What constitutes "personal reasons," and how do you know that is not a cover for not going to get a chance to play in some cases? Ekmark, for instance, never said she left due to lack of minutes. She said she was "looking to start a new chapter" in her life.

Sadie Edwards may have seen the writing on the wall since she was getting zero time and the roster was stacked going forward. Might've been the same for Banks with no minutes looming her senior season.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree on Sadie specifically and in general. By the time Sadie decided to leave UCONN had been through a loss at Stanford and a fairly tough game at ND. In those game she got a total of 1 Minute in mop up duty at ND. More telling was a game like Creighton a 36 Point UCONN win in which her fellow Freshmen Gabby got 20 Minutes, Kia got 31 Minutes and Sadie got 4 Minutes. Sadie played in 6 games and averaged only 1 minutes more per game than walkon Lawlor. If a McDonalds HS american is getting as much playing time as a walkon I could see how that becomes a very "personal reason" for leaving. I would be disappointed in Sadie or any other HS AA if she did not take that personally.

I think "the personal reasons" for Sadie, Johnson, and Banks were mostly the result of playing time. :)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
UCONN just signed a blockbuster class of guards/wings... considering how crowded that roster is getting (especially the backcourt) and the quality of bigs coming up, I would be pretty surprised if UCONN signs anything smaller than a forward in 2018...

I think Collier is a husky.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think most of us that follow recruiting closely knew UCLA was likely her choice. No biggie.
Rennia Davis is still on the board for us and that one we feel a little more positive about. For a while she has been considered a GT lean but Tennessee was her last visit and it sounds like we have made a strong push for her.

2018 is shaping up well for us too and it sounds like we may not be waiting as long for commits.

I think UConn and Tennessee will be pulling in the top classes this year and next.

Texas continues to bring in big time recruits. They just landed Boothe and have a commitment from 2018 Sedona Prince.

ND got Patterson but overall had a weaker class this year. Maryland could very well miss out completely... much like Tennessee last year (with the exception of K. Harris of course)

Who do you think Tennessee signs in 2018?

Reaction Score
UCONN just signed a blockbuster class of guards/wings... considering how crowded that roster is getting (especially the backcourt) and the quality of bigs coming up, I would be pretty surprised if UCONN signs anything smaller than a forward in 2018...

I think Collier is a husky.

I don't agree about only signing a forward. UCONN will have more than 2 scholarships available. No reason to not also go hard after a player such as CWilliams.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
^^^Louisville is not in the running for Carter. The guard spot on our roster was filled/ completed when Dana Evans and Lindsay Duvall committed.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I don't agree about only signing a forward. UCONN will have more than 2 scholarships available. No reason to not also go hard after a player such as CWilliams.

I didn't say they won't go after guards. I said I would be surprised if they signed anything smaller than a forward.

Of course they're going to recruit Williams and any other highly ranked guard in that class... now Williams seeing that roster and deciding to join it is a completely different thing. Williams (or Scott-Grayson or...) may eventually decide that regardless Storrs is the place for them.

UConn will be recruiting against the idea that their backcourt is crowded. It's not a negative.. it is what it is when you bring in the #1 point guard one year and follow it up with the #1 overall player the next year who can play positions 1-3 and you surround her with 3 guards (Gordon, Coombs and Espinoza-Hunter) that would probably eventually start at most D1 schools.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Of course they're going to recruit Williams... now her seeing that roster and deciding to join it is a completely different thing.

It's a logjam but one thing that can be said is that Walker can play the guard or small forward position. So when KLS leaves after '18 Walker could slip into the #3 spot in the starting unit, making the other guard spot available. Bent (Sr.) and Coombs (Jr.) would probably be Williams' competition.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
It's a logjam but one thing that can be said is that Walker can play the guard or small forward position. So when KLS leaves after '18 Walker could slip into the #3 spot in the starting unit, making the other guard spot available. Bent (Sr.) and Coombs (Jr.) would probably be Williams' competition.

Besides Williams, do you have an idea of who else UConn is recruiting at the guard position in 2018?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think "the personal reasons" for Sadie, Johnson, and Banks were mostly the result of playing time. :)
Banks was an interesting situation. Reportedly, her injuries and lack of PT affected her confidence. If she had gotten her confidence back, I think the minutes were there.

For Sadie, the amount of work required may have been a factor, not limited PT per se.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Besides Williams, do you have an idea of who else UConn is recruiting at the guard position in 2018?
This may be dated info, but the names I've seen are:

Honesty Scott-Grayson, now in Va.

Amaya Brown in N.M.

Jordan Nixon in N.Y.

They are nos. 11, 28, and 37, respectively, per HG.

HSG played at Blair with Batouly and Andi.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Williams is the only one I've seen mentioned in recent months.

This may be dated info, but the names I've seen are:

Honesty Scott-Grayson, now in Va.

Amaya Brown in N.M.

Jordan Nixon in N.Y.

They are nos. 11, 28, and 37, respectively, per HG.

HSG played at Blair with Batouly and Andi.

Think they're out on Amaya Brown. My guess is they've got enough guards and wings for a while though maybe they'd still take Williams. Geno's gonna need a shoehorn at this rate.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Williams is the only one I've seen mentioned in recent months.

Think they're out on Amaya Brown. My guess is they've got enough guards and wings for a while though maybe they'd still take Williams. Geno's gonna need a shoehorn at this rate.
Brown said she likes Louisville, but I'm not sure when that was. Does L'ville have another point guard signed?

Reaction Score
I didn't say they won't go after guards. I said I would be surprised if they signed anything smaller than a forward.

Of course they're going to recruit Williams and any other highly ranked guard in that class... now Williams seeing that roster and deciding to join it is a completely different thing. Williams (or Scott-Grayson or...) may eventually decide that regardless Storrs is the place for them.

UConn will be recruiting against the idea that their backcourt is crowded. It's not a negative.. it is what it is when you bring in the #1 point guard one year and follow it up with the #1 overall player the next year who can play positions 1-3 and you surround her with 3 guards (Gordon, Coombs and Espinoza-Hunter) that would probably eventually start at most D1 schools.

I don't agree overall with what you're saying. This is like what many say of super recruits such as Baylor when they got Cox. There were a lot of centers or other big players- but Cox is so good- she'll be getting minutes. Same with CWill. Walker's best position will probably be sf. Coombs is not a scorer, and Hunter is questionable if she is a scorer and Lexi is a 3/4. While CWill is supposedly an elite scoring sg. If CWILL comes, just like Cox, just like Walker, she'll find minutes. UCONN will annihilate so many teams that minutes will never be the negative imo you are portraying unless everything UCONN has recruited is super super. Which is never the case for all players. Some yes- but not all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom