Tre Mitchell | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tre Mitchell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We all get why he made the choice. Saying what he did makes sense is crazy

Nah, not crazy. The dude followed his friends and his mom influenced him. Not everyone is only about basketball. There are still people who take family perspective and opinion to heart over basketball prowess of a school. It's rare but it happens.

Reaction Score
Don’t want him. If he can’t make his own decisions on his life, i sure as hell don’t trust him to box out on a crucial possession

Reaction Score
Matt Cross picked up a UMass crystal ball tonight. Woodstock kid so him ending up there would make sense.

Reaction Score
Too be fair on two fronts:

Coach: Tre's mom is pretty hot so that makes sense. Pulling recruits with you to your new job is also smart seeing you know how to motivate them to succeed.

Tre: Two other players from Woodstock signed with UMass before he did...playing with people you know is a big deal. UMass also has a Putnam guy inbound so 4 players from CT...gives Tre some connection to home. Not to mention the coach going. For once, the kid did what made sense and didn't follow the bags of cash.

No -- he is following the bags of cash. It's just being paid to his coach legally, who is involved with his mother. Does this really need to be spelled out for you?

Last edited:
C

Chief00

No -- he is following the bags of cash. It's just being paid to his coach legally, who is involved with his mother. Does this really need to be spelled out for you?

I don’t really think that’s what’s happening here from Tre’s perspective. Tre is very close to his mom, so if her boyfriend moved to a school to Coach it would make sense for Tre to go there because his mom is there and he is also comfortable with the assistant coach.
True, the assistant coach is cashing in on all this and his cash/salary will help Tre’s mother and Tre’s standard of living. But, just my gut opinion that may be driving the adults involved but probably not Tre. Granted it’s probably a huge Salary increase going from WA coach to a D1 assistant.

Reaction Score
I don’t really think that’s what’s happening here from Tre’s perspective. Tre is very close to his mom, so if her boyfriend moved to a school to Coach it would make sense for Tre to go there because his mom is there and he is also comfortable with the assistant coach.
True, the assistant coach is cashing in on all this and his cash/salary will help Tre’s mother and Tre’s standard of living. But, just my gut opinion that may be driving the adults involved but probably not Tre. Granted it’s probably a huge Salary increase going from WA coach to a D1 assistant.

No, sorry, unless he's a total idiot not even close. That anyone would think less of someone who took $1000 in a lunch bag to play ball somewhere but not someone participating in a complicated scheme by which the mother's boy friend and kid's coach probably has his basketball income tripled and gets a career track to boot is idiotic. And if you don't think Tre knows that, ask yourself the following question: why didn't they just hire the coach and announce it two months ago while Trey was deciding.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Matt Cross picked up a UMass crystal ball tonight. Woodstock kid so him ending up there would make sense.
Cross can do a lot better than Umass if he wanted. Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being a 4 star.

Reaction Score
This thread is filled with so much stupid garbage.

Have you guys seen UMass' basketball facility? It's pretty close to being as nice as UConn's. It's a good school if not excellent school to go to depending on the major. There's clearly family reasons at play here as well. Also - they've been getting **** guys for the past few years. A hunk of the Houston team that turned us inside out a few times was made up of UMass transfers

And a huge lol on the cash thing. They don't have a pot to p-ss in at UMass Athletics right now. Half the alumni base is still torched that Kellogg got thrown out the door and their season ticket base is in the toilet.

Reaction Score
I love the UMass board being so surprised that the college basketball community thinks their new situation is slimy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And a huge lol on the cash thing. They don't have a pot to p-ss in at UMass Athletics right now. Half the alumni base is still torched that Kellogg got thrown out the door and their season ticket base is in the toilet.

They have money to pay assistants. Which is what they are doing to this kid's handler.

They've offered that entire team When it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a friggin duck.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
One thing I will say about Umass is that it is a hall of fame party school. Their parties blew Uconns out of the water. Craziest parties ive ever been to in my life.

Reaction Score

Have you guys seen UMass' basketball facility? It's pretty close to being as nice as UConn's. It's a good school if not excellent school to go to depending on the major. There's clearly family reasons at play here as well. Also - they've been getting **** guys for the past few years. A hunk of the Houston team that turned us inside out a few times was made up of UMass transfers

I’m not sure about your facts.

UMass’ basketball facility is nice, but UConn’s is nicer and about 40% bigger. (And, with better trophies.)

I don’t think UMass has been recruiting that well. Currently, there are no 4* recruits on the roster, but Mitchell changes that for next year. Recruiting ranks the past 7 years are 39, 88, 162, 32, 138, 79, 69. UMass has signed 2 top 100 commits over that time, Mitchell this year and DeJon Jarreau, who lasted one year and is now at Houston. Those are the only 4* recruits for UMass over the past 7 years.

Both of UMass’ top 100 recruits had odd recruiting stories. Mitchell’s is told in the thread and Jarreau was part of a package deal with his friend (who also transferred after freshman year and is at Houston.)

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

No it's not, sorry but not that close. It is nice, but not $30+ nice

Reaction Score
Guys their bag guys are gone. Trust me, I know *all* of them. They're angry with Bamford for one and they don't get along with him. Their firing Kellogg pissed all of them off (they live 96 on a loop) and the bungled hiring of the new guy set them off the edge.

lol Lou Roe was living in a house bought by one of them and they took it away. No joke. They've got a history, but if there are clandestine bag guys forking money over for athletes I'll bet my own house that they'd want to get to know him better. Maybe they do, but I don't know them and can tell you one guy was so pissed he wouldn't flick a penny off of Bamford's forehead if he walked past him on the street.

As for Jarreau - you're right it was a package deal, but he was basically a hand over from Callipari who said he wouldn't take them but that they should go to UMass. He handed them over, bags and all. And well, when the bags stopped, you know the story from there...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Guys their bag guys are gone. Trust me, I know *all* of them. They're angry with Bamford for one and they don't get along with him. Their firing Kellogg pissed all of them off (they live 96 on a loop) and the bungled hiring of the new guy set them off the edge.

lol Lou Roe was living in a house bought by one of them and they took it away. No joke. They've got a history, but if there are clandestine bag guys forking money over for athletes I'll bet my own house that they'd want to get to know him better. Maybe they do, but I don't know them and can tell you one guy was so pissed he wouldn't flick a penny off of Bamford's forehead if he walked past him on the street.

As for Jarreau - you're right it was a package deal, but he was basically a hand over from Callipari who said he wouldn't take them but that they should go to UMass. He handed them over, bags and all. And well, when the bags stopped, you know the story from there...

My point was, it's not bags of cash, it's an assistants job. Which the school itself is paying for. That can't be argued.

If coach wasn't going there, I don't see Tre going either. Especially as his mom's dating coach.

Bags of cash or assistant money/connections, it's all one and the same from an economic perspective.

Reaction Score

The Mullins Center is nice (and has 9493 seats) but there's only two guys on the UH team that transferred from UMass. They were both from New Orleans and only stayed one year.

Something's really wrong at UMass and the AD has to be in trouble too when you look at how things have disintegrated the past two years. The bad look of the hiring process two years ago, how poorly the team has performed under McCall, all the transfers this year, and then the coach he hired fires all his assistants two years after hiring them.

13-20 and 11-21 during those two years plus half the team quitting isn't usually a formula for keeping the head coach but since the AD hired him I guess he's going all in that Woodstock Academy can win the A-10 in the next two years before the board fires him (the AD).

Reaction Score
The Mullins Center is nice (and has 9493 seats) but there's only two guys on the UH team that transferred from UMass. They were both from New Orleans and only stayed one year.

Something's really wrong at UMass and the AD has to be in trouble too when you look at how things have disintegrated the past two years. The bad look of the hiring process two years ago, how poorly the team has performed under McCall, all the transfers this year, and then the coach he hired fires all his assistants two years after hiring them.

13-20 and 11-21 during those two years plus half the team quitting isn't usually a formula for keeping the head coach but since the AD hired him I guess he's going all in that Woodstock Academy can win the A-10 in the next two years before the board fires him (the AD).

Worse version of our AD to be honest.

Football's killed them. Decisions around football's killed them worse.

As for McCall, I think he'll be fine. Year-1 is a wash. Year-2 wasn't much better but what are you going to do when you were playing guys on the football team the year before? Most of the guys leaving have been pushed out or were Kellogg guys.

Ask anyone in that athletic department what their #1 wish would be - and that'd be to shrink Mullin's Center by 3,000 seats. Even when they draw well, it seems empty. It doesn't have the character of Gampel by any stretch - but it's a nicer from a nuts and bolts standpoint. Roomier seats, an actual concourse, etc. If we're talking ammenities, it's nicer than Gampel.

I still prefer Gampel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits