Transfers - Outbound (8/1/22>7/31/23 cycle) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Transfers - Outbound (8/1/22>7/31/23 cycle)

Reaction Score
Carter is going to Nebraska.
Nebraska has a pretty crowded RB room as it stands right now, but the portal and a new coach could change that. Looks like they have 6 RBs on scholarship in addition to a HS recruit coming in. All are mid to high 3*s and only 1 will be a senior next year. Leading rusher this year had 915 yards and he was the #1 JUCO running back. #1 and #2 RB rushers from 2021 are still on the roster.

If Carter is going to Nebraska, he will have tough competition for carries.

Reaction Score
Wow, significantly ahead? Did you watch the whole season or stop half way through?

Rose is a star! He was racking up touchdowns like no other running back has ever done in a Husky uniform as a freshman. Trying to minimize the impact of Rosa? Again, Wow.

I do agree losing Carter is not good - he was great running back from the little we saw of him this year.

If we had to lose any key players, the running back position is one we are quite deep.

I will miss seeing Carter as a Husky but hope it all work out for him.
We will miss Carter. I believe before he was injured, he was one of the leading rushers in the nation. But in saying that if Rosa stays healthy and a Huskie, he will set records here

Reaction Score
Not sure how you fight this. It's probably the way things will be as the "serfs" of college ball find and develop players who may come to believe they'll do better, get more exposure, better coaching and facilities, with a bigger name on their jersey.

If it's Nebraska, we'll know why.....he trusts and believes in his position coach and what he can do for him on a bigger stage.

If it's some other place that's another story. NC was here two years and saw how things improved from what they were when HE chose UConn. Also saw how he was featured and how well he could do in our system.

In the big picture, if you're good enough (like Travis Jones) and getting good coaching in a place with great facilities, you'll be found and be successful. Now how do we prove that and get the players to believe?

Reaction Score
We benefit from it too though - look at this past year! It is sign of the times.

We did benefit and we will continue to if it's well managed. But there will be a ceiling to that benefit and a cost as top talent is poached. I honestly think this issue will be one of the key drivers in bifurcating college athletics because most programs will not be able to compete with those that have the money and inclination to build out systems to attract and retain talent with lots and lots of money.

Reaction Score
This is simply the reality of college football now. Every school has really talented players entering the portal daily.

Remember, we did not have Carter for the majority of the season and we were still able to run the ball very effectively without him. I think we'll be ok.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Best of luck to Nate. It’s gonna be tough watching UConn football if we’re just a feeder school for the P5, but I guess that’s how it works now. It’s gonna be hard to win more than 6 games per season if your best talent wants out every year.

Reaction Score
Best of luck to Nate. It’s gonna be tough watching UConn football if we’re just a feeder school for the P5, but I guess that’s how it works now. It’s gonna be hard to win more than 6 games per season if your best talent wants out every year.

I'm wondering if this isn't going to narrow the field between the P5 bottom feeders and the G5 and indies. I don't see anyone competing against the BiG and SEC given the resources those programs will have. On the other hand, the WFs and BCs of the world are in a similar boat. If USC or Georgia or tOSU really want a kid, guess what!

Reaction Score
I doubt it. Carter knows he was the #1 and performed. He was offered an opportunity in Lincoln instead of Storrs. If a coach he trusts thinks he can play in the Big Ten, he's not the only person who would go.

This is the new reality. At our current level of play, we risk losing our best players to the P-5, and substituting players leaving the P-5 who weren't starting and want to.
I’d like to think that we can stamp that out by putting guys in the NFL and promoting it relentlessly. I have no doubt Mora will do that.

Reaction Score
Counterpoint: talented P5 players who are backups and want playing time come here. It goes both ways.

Reaction Score
Hmm… Seems like we benefit greatly from the transfer portal but now one of our better players leaves and we’re not in favor or the portal.

Without it we would not be going to a bowl game this year.

Reaction Score
The grass isn’t always greener. Nebraska will get recruit alot of good RBs. There will be a competition nothing guaranteed.
Nebraska has been lousy and I don't appreciate our former coach raiding us on the way out. Wonder what the young man was sold about his future.

Reaction Score
This is a bummer, he's an extremely talented back and if he'd stayed healthy I think we eek out 1-2 more wins this year.

But it's hard to blame the kid if he can jump to a Big 10 school. That's bigger exposure, more chance at NIL deals etc.

It's just something we have to deal with as an Independent.

Reaction Score
I don't think you can draw that conclusion yet. Look at the kids entering the portal and you see kids of all abilities entering from P5s to G5s. NC State, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and Pitt just lost their starting QBs. Honestly, we should expect we could lose some starters to the portal every year for a wide variety of reasons as should every team. Fortunately, I think UConn is going to be able to get very good players from the portal and keep improving as a team.

Reaction Score
People need to calm down. There are several good reasons why Carter transferred, so it makes sense that he left for Nebraska.

There's no question that UConn benefited from the portal last year and will again have a net benefit from it this year. Ex. we could potentially get the Notre Dame starting QB from 2022 as our starter for 2023.

We still need to hire a running back coach and a defensive coordinator. Both of the coaches could bring high quality talent through the transfer portal. Ex. if we hire the linebackers coach from Penn State as the d-coordinator, then we likely poach a couple of LBs because we have open starting positions available for next year that will play alongside one of the best linebackers in the country.

Reaction Score
Mora, should not close the door on losing him and see if he can convince him to stay. I wouldn't say that for everyone, but definitely for him.

Reaction Score
It’s not just the portal - it’s also NIL and the lack of a governing body as the NCAA has abandoned their post. And this is not a UConn issue, it’s systemic. I was talking to a P5 coach recently and he said “ it’s the Wild West right now”.

The irony is that kids just wanted a slice of the millions that came from their name on the back of a jersey. Now they change jerseys annually.

In time, they’ll have to turn the letter of intent into a 2 year deal. But I’ll let the SEC propose that first; then it’ll be deemed a brilliant counter.

Reaction Score
Hmm… Seems like we benefit greatly from the transfer portal but now one of our better players leaves and we’re not in favor or the portal.

Without it we would not be going to a bowl game this year.
The portal has its positives and negative and which has been seen throughout the athletic department. It’s going to be great but also sick for programs who aren’t towards the top of the pyramid in their respective sports

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom