Transfer Portal Window 2023 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Also, with the news of Pastner out at Georgia Tech, I'd be very interested in Miles Kelly, if he transferred out.

The 6'6 175 sophomore played the 3 in Pastner's offense, averaged 14.4 ppg, 45.3 2p%, 2.7 3PM at 37.9% (about 60% of FGAs from deep) and had the team's second lowest TO rate (321st in the nation).

Ranked ~ median amongst the team's defensive metrics, per EvanMiya.

Reaction Score
If we're looking for a Joey California replacement (guard off the bench who can shoot), Army's Ethan Roberts could be a possibility.

The 6'5 195 freshman averaged 12.4 ppg, 54.6 2p%, 1.9 3PM @ 40.7 3p%.
He can’t leave the Army. He owes time.

Reaction Score
The floodgates at Louisville are opening. Two freshman entered the portal. They chose Louisville over good programs such as Kansas, Auburn etc. and were both Top 100 recruits. A Georgetown player who had a UConn offer also entered the portal.

Reaction Score
Can one actually xfer out of a service academy?
I believe this is possible, but the player would be required to repay the academy for their education... This recently came up with a football player at either Army or Navy who was considering entering the draft. It was a costly decision and I don't know what ended up happening.

Reaction Score
I believe this is possible, but the player would be required to repay the academy for their education... This recently came up with a football player at either Army or Navy who was considering entering the draft. It was a costly decision and I don't know what ended up happening.
I think with the army you get a last chance to get out after your freshman year without repaying, after that you're in for good or owe money.

Reaction Score
Assuming Hawkins goes pro here’s a thought - convince Newton to stay and move him to the two guard with Castle at point. If Newton has dreams of playing pro ball somewhere it would likely be as a shooting guard anyway. Newton would need to be able to adjust to being a little more aggressive scorer, but are we going to get a better player/potential in the portal? (we can still look for a potential bench sharp shooter).

If Hurley can get Newton comfortable in the 2 guard role it would mean better matchups for Newton as far as speed goes (both offensively and defensively), he has the height to play the position, he can hit deep threes, he can drive, and he is a very good passer. He’s not going to be Jordan Hawkins as far as shooting off screens, but he brings some other skills to the position.

If he could up his scoring 3-4 points a game in a slightly more aggressive role to 13-14 points and 3 or so assists I would be happy with that from the starting 2 guard (I think most of us would consider a transfer putting up those numbers successful). Imagine 4 passers in the starting lineup like Castle, Newton, Karaban and Jackson? Dunks all day for Donovan, and Im more than confident in Karaban and Newton hitting threes if Donovan kicks it out, and I think Castle (and hopefully Jackson) will be more than capable also.

If Solo Ball is good enough to get decent minutes at the 2 Newton could obviously play some backup point guard as well (or use Diarra if we need a lockdown defender).

Reaction Score
Castle, Starling, Jackson, Karaban, Clingan? Preseason top 5

When was the last time we had 2 MCDAA in our backcourt
Slater is already speculating Cuse for him, so I'm not even gonna get my hopes up. No idea how players will view Cuse as a destination but he had them in his top 4 and Autry was the lead recruiter for him

Reaction Score
Assuming Hawkins goes pro here’s a thought - convince Newton to stay and move him to the two guard with Castle at point. If Newton has dreams of playing pro ball somewhere it would likely be as a shooting guard anyway. Newton would need to be able to adjust to being a little more aggressive scorer, but are we going to get a better player/potential in the portal? (we can still look for a potential bench sharp shooter).

If Hurley can get Newton comfortable in the 2 guard role it would mean better matchups for Newton as far as speed goes (both offensively and defensively), he has the height to play the position, he can hit deep threes, he can drive, and he is a very good passer. He’s not going to be Jordan Hawkins as far as shooting off screens, but he brings some other skills to the position.

If he could up his scoring 3-4 points a game in a slightly more aggressive role to 13-14 points and 3 or so assists I would be happy with that from the starting 2 guard (I think most of us would consider a transfer putting up those numbers successful). Imagine 4 passers in the starting lineup like Castle, Newton, Karaban and Jackson? Dunks all day for Donovan, and Im more than confident in Karaban and Newton hitting threes if Donovan kicks it out, and I think Castle (and hopefully Jackson) will be more than capable also.

If Solo Ball is good enough to get decent minutes at the 2 Newton could obviously play some backup point guard as well (or use Diarra if we need a lockdown defender).
I thought about this before and don't hate it, but sort of think bringing Alleyne back as the starting two makes more sense than Newton. He's more of a pure 2, a better shooter, and is close with Castle. Newton would bring the added benefit of another guy who can run the point, but I'm not sure I love Newton as a pure off the ball 2.

Reaction Score
Slater is already speculating Cuse for him, so I'm not even gonna get my hopes up. No idea how players will view Cuse as a destination but he had them in his top 4 and Autry was the lead recruiter for him
Starling is from NY and was thought to be a Cuse lean for a while. Probably didn't love Boeheim and could see it as a positive that he's gone. A year ago, I would have loved the idea of trying to bring him on-board, but I looked at his stats and he shot sub 30% from 3 this year. Don't love that.

Reaction Score

Worth reaching out. Would be dynamic next to Castle. I think his 3 point percentage will improve to mid 30’s. He gets to the basket as well

Pass IMO. Can't shoot. Any guard we bring in at that size needs to be able to handle the ball IMO. Castle is not a pure PG... we will be very vulnerable to a press next year. More than we are this year.

Reaction Score
Pass IMO. Can't shoot. Any guard we bring in at that size needs to be able to handle the ball IMO. Castle is not a pure PG... we will be very vulnerable to a press next year. More than we are this year.
I think that percentage is going to go up

Reaction Score
I think that percentage is going to go up

I would imagine if the staff extends an offer, they will have looked at his shot selection pretty carefully.

I don't know anything about the kid, but sub-30% shooters set my little flashing red lights off. We already have Castle, Stewart, and Ball coming in as less-than-excellent shooters coming in... we'll need to be judicious with who we recruit, particularly if the staff sees a limited role for Ross this season.

Reaction Score
I would imagine if the staff extends an offer, they will have looked at his shot selection pretty carefully.

I don't know anything about the kid, but sub-30% shooters set my little flashing red lights off. We already have Castle, Stewart, and Ball coming in as less-than-excellent shooters coming in... we'll need to be judicious with who we recruit, particularly if the staff sees a limited role for Ross this season.
I agree, I just think if a talent like Starling wants to join the team and Castle likes the idea it’d be hard to say no. We definitely need proven shooting. Alleyne using his 5th year would be huge

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, we were on this guy pretty heavily? Definitely would be a great pickup if we can reconnect
Yes, I remember asking if he was related to former WBC Middleweight Champion and Hartford legend, Marlon Starling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom