Transfer Portal April 2023 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal April 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Another elite scorer on the portal:

I've watched Thomasson a few times on TV and live once: he's an alpha-guard and a bucket-getter with good size. Good guy too.

4.0 PRPG! is a benchmark I look for, essentially means he was very efficient on high usage. Newton was at 4.2, he's at exactly 4.0. Indicates that if he takes on less volume, his efficiency should increase enough to offset the bump in difficulty of leagues (most guys lose 0.5-1.0 PRPG! when up-transferring based on my cursory analysis). Sign him up.

37% from 3 on pretty good volume. Has shot similarly all 3 years. FT% is a little low, which is a small red flag for shot translation. Took a lot of off the dribble 3s (like Newton had), which again makes me think his shooting could be better if he played in our catch and shoot heavy system (Newton's 3-pt bumped up considerably).

60% at the rim is very good for a guard. He was also only assisted 6% of the time at the rim, so that's almost all self creation. Very impressive.

Has legit PG assist numbers and low turnover rate (RJ Cole esque ast/TO numbers).

His team was not very good. The defensive numbers are not great via RAPM, but his block/steal numbers are fine. They lost 4 starters from the year before, so the team itself was worse and his defensive RAPM numbers were better the year before.

He rates as the 2nd best MAAC player offensively after Clayton. I'd take Clayton over him for MAAC guys, but if Clayton is definitely going to St. John's to follow Pitino then this kid is worth a strong look if we have some extra pro departures.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hopefully the National Championship, and the restored culture will be very attractive. The legends all coming back and embracing this team has to make it very special indeed for a would be transfer. Now we just need to figure out what we need.

Reaction Score

Vecenie is talking UConn and how they killed the portal last year right now. Live link but might be able to rewind it

Talking about how he'd build around top level recruits like we had this year (Sanogo, Hawkins, Jackson, Clingan, Karaban) and then sprinkle in great role players through the portal. Loved how it was all 6'5" or bigger and are super athletic/can defend.

Also mentioned the value in open scholarship spots for a high level team like UConn to add impact transfers in the spring. And on the flipside, how the outgoing players to open those spots are often met with a freak out and view of failure, when it should be viewed as a positive

Reaction Score

Jersey kid, 2 time conference PoY for a good team. One to watch perhaps

This guy is legit. Immediately moves to close to top of my board. Not sure about his waiver process since he transferred into Hofstra but love the Jersey connection...

6'3" scoring point guard. Probably the best player in the CAA (#1 in RAPM, #2 BPR, #1 PRPG!) 2 years in a row.

Last 2 year averages at Hofstra:

4.25 PRPG!
37% and 33% from 3. 87% combined FT. 55.5% from 2.
Decent distribution numbers (25% assist, 16% TO rates).
2.4% steal rate and high def rebound rates for his size shows athleticism.

Only thing he doesn't do is get to the line much. But his defensive numbers are actually really good. Would be a nice fit next to Castle, too, I think.

Reaction Score
Primo out, but doesn't seem we reached out. Good list.

A BYer recently said that players can only transfer one time. Recent (this year?) tweak to the transfer rules. True or not?

Or is there some transfer rule nuance in play here? This will be Primo’s second xfer in 2 years.

Reaction Score
This guy is legit. Immediately moves to close to top of my board. Not sure about his waiver process since he transferred into Hofstra but love the Jersey connection...

6'3" scoring point guard. Probably the best player in the CAA (#1 in RAPM, #2 BPR, #1 PRPG!) 2 years in a row.

Last 2 year averages at Hofstra:

4.25 PRPG!
37% and 33% from 3. 87% combined FT. 55.5% from 2.
Decent distribution numbers (25% assist, 16% TO rates).
2.4% steal rate and high def rebound rates for his size shows athleticism.

Only thing he doesn't do is get to the line much. But his defensive numbers are actually really good. Would be a nice fit next to Castle, too, I think.
He takes a lot of midrange shots and he's lefty, so kinda reminds me of Alleyne, but gets to the rim about as much as Tristen. But he straight cans the midrange jumpers at a hot rate and is a much better finisher than Tristen was even at ECU. He's at like 50% on midrange 2s over 2 years, which is wild. 64% at the rim (Tristen was 59% at ECU).

Reaction Score
A BYer recently said that players can only transfer one time. Recent (this year?) tweak to the transfer rules. True or not?

Or is there some transfer rule nuance in play here? This will be Primo’s second xfer in 2 years.
It's not free, they have to get a waiver. They gave a lot of waivers last year, but they released a memo basically saying they'd give less waivers this year. But guys are still going for it, so who knows?!?

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
It's not free, they have to get a waiver. They gave a lot of waivers last year, but they released a memo basically saying they'd give less waivers this year. But guys are still going for it, so who knows?!?
There was an article, I think ESPN, where Izzo indicated that getting waivers were easy, particularly using mental health as a reason.

Reaction Score

Jersey kid, 2 time conference PoY for a good team. One to watch perhaps

I don’t know his stats but kid is an absolute baller - can get his shot off against anyone. Man among boys at that level and that league is low key underrated. I saw him ball out multiple times last year. Good quickness excellent footwork type guy like harden.

Reaction Score
I've been hearing whispers of Dickinson to Georgetown...

I agree. Hofstra was a super fun team to watch and Estrada was their star.

Man, there are so many studs on the portal right now. Just at the 2-guard position, there are like a dozen guys I'd be very happy if we pick up.

It was eery how calm the portal was yesterday...just six commitments, I'm expecting chaos by Friday. I'm not an insider, but I'd expect UConn is in good position on a few key targets.

Underrated pickup last night: Xavier added Cincy native and former Indiana center Logan Duncomb. He's been stuck behind Jackson-Davis, but was the 73rd ranked prospect of '21. With Nunge graduating and other bigs in the portal, he's the best option to start next season.
I had heard Georgetown or Maryland.
Maryland just signed assistant coach Mike Jones away from Va Tech. He was Dickinson HS coach at DeMatha so it may be where they may want to get back together. ( Jones also coached J. Hawkins while he was there )

If Dickinson does go to MD, it would be interesting if Rodney Rice enters the portal and follows both Jones and Dickinson to the Terps.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Another elite scorer on the portal:

I've watched Thomasson a few times on TV and live once: he's an alpha-guard and a bucket-getter with good size. Good guy too.

Not good enough. No twitch. Only goes left.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The word around Michigan is that Dickenson left to cash out NIL wise for his last year before heading overseas. Highly doubt there’s any chance there and he probably wouldn’t be a good fit anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom