Toscano Family Ice Forum MHOC Opener > #11 UConn v. Northeastern Huskies (Saturday 1/14/23 @ 7:35p - Game streamed on ESPN+) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Toscano Family Ice Forum MHOC Opener > #11 UConn v. Northeastern Huskies (Saturday 1/14/23 @ 7:35p - Game streamed on ESPN+)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Has anyone heard of “flipping” before as a penalty?
I think it was clipping. It is generally recognized as hitting an opposing player at or below the other player's knees.

Reaction Score
Well, this turned into a disaster.
Still really good to have HE game back on campus. Fun night other than the score. NU is a top notch team. UConn just needs to keep getting better, they are in a little rut right now. Every team goes through them. UConn will be ok.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
What are these refs doing? This is horrible. How is this allowed to continually happen?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
What a wild one to open the new barn. Hockey East games are always exciting
Yeah, it was exciting to watch our guy get punched in the face and then see a delay of game called on us.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it was exciting to watch our guy get punched in the face and then see a delay of game called on us.
You can’t look at just one play. You have to look at the entire game. The opening festivities, the new arena. HE games back on campus with a full house. Overall it was exciting. Our team didn’t win, but they have more games to play and I’m sure they will win heir share of games.

Reaction Score
Why in the world did UConn get a delay of game penalty? Joe D. and his color partner said they had no idea. And how does Spott not get a penalty?? Those refs have some splainin' to do!

Reaction Score
Did UConn have a previous unsuccessful challenge in the game? If so, the delay of game call they're required to make there, unfortunately. First unsuccessful challenge uses your TO, all after that are minor penalties. (Joe D should know this...)

The missed call on the punch was horrible. A textbook contact to the head roughing minor. They aren't allowed to give a minor penalty on review, only can assess a major. The punch was bad, but would've been tough to justify as a major.

Reaction Score
Did UConn have a previous unsuccessful challenge in the game? If so, the delay of game call they're required to make there, unfortunately. First unsuccessful challenge uses your TO, all after that are minor penalties. (Joe D should know this...)
Strange

Reaction Score
Strange

But...how did UConn take a TO and challenge on the same stoppage, and still get a penalty? Cav would've had to take his timeout, let the time expire, THEN decide to challenge? Didn't look like that happened.

That can't be right. If so, I think the refs screwed that one up assessing the penalty after.

Edit: I asked a friend of mine who's a ref - if Cav called TO for the purpose of challenging the penalty, which is what appeared to happen, then they should not have gotten a delay of game minor. It's only a delay of game if Cav decided to challenge after the TO and play was about to resume.

Last edited:

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score

The missed call on the punch was horrible. A textbook contact to the head roughing minor. They aren't allowed to give a minor penalty on review, only can assess a major. The punch was bad, but would've been tough to justify as a major.
There was no challenge that I recall.

Reaction Score
But...how did UConn take a TO and challenge on the same stoppage, and still get a penalty? Cav would've had to take his timeout, let the time expire, THEN decide to challenge? Didn't look like that happened.

That can't be right. If so, I think the refs screwed that one up assessing the penalty after.

Edit: I asked a friend of mine who's a ref - if Cav called TO for the purpose of challenging the penalty, which is what appeared to happen, then they should not have gotten a delay of game minor. It's only a delay of game if Cav decided to challenge after the TO and play was about to resume.
Some clarity:

Reaction Score
Some clarity:

A strange quote here. First, wasn't the challenge with ~25 seconds left? Next, where did the "threat" of a penalty come from? He'd not used his TO and hadn't had a prior unsuccessful challenge. He's allowed to call his timeout and ask for a challenge without fear of a penalty.

Makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Just disappointed with what has become of this season. I thought UConn had a chance at the regular season title and shot at a NCAA tournament berth but those are now gone.

I thought Ryan Tattle had a really solid game tonight. I don’t understand why he has not been in the lineup a lot more.

The defensemen give up so many bad turnovers that lead to opportunities for the opposition. It seems to be a yearly thing. They need to recruit better for the blue line.

Capone is a fourth liner. He offers nothing offensively. Why is he playing on a line with Tverberg?

Right now the goalies are not good enough to steal a game and that’s a problem.

Reaction Score
The defensemen give up so many bad turnovers that lead to opportunities for the opposition. It seems to be a yearly thing. They need to recruit better for the blue line.

Rees’s handout to McDonough of all players who’s arguably the best scorer in HE was the most painful. The sad part is that overall UConn played really well and generated many very close offensive opportunities and couldn’t cash in. While not a fan of Levi, he played well enough to stifle some great chances by Tverberg and Bradley.

As for Capone, he’s regressed a bit after a nice start, but is physical in a way that can juice the team and crowd and has shone he has good hands in the past.

Reaction Score
A strange quote here. First, wasn't the challenge with ~25 seconds left? Next, where did the "threat" of a penalty come from? He'd not used his TO and hadn't had a prior unsuccessful challenge. He's allowed to call his timeout and ask for a challenge without fear of a penalty.

Makes no sense.

One thing the inaugural game gave us was mucho drama. The whole thing felt like a Whalers game 8n that regard ;)

Here’s a thought on the timeout. Do you remember when the PA blew the horn and turned on goal lights when no goal was scored. The action was stopped and the announcer said there was a time out on the ice. I wonder if that control room blunder cost the home team a time out. I don’t know for sure, but seems weirdly plausible under the circumstances, but maybe someone on the board knows for sure…

Or is it that the only reviewable item that wouldn’t create a delay of game penalty be when the challenge is over a goals scored or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom