Top 25 Women's Basketball Programs of All Time

Reaction Score
Did they get it right? Sound off!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/BigGameBoomer

1676721880238.png

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Ohio State at 11 is a choice. I’d bump up SC at least a few spots for their last 10 years. 2 titles plus a couple other final fours (plus whatever credit can be given for finishing 2020 #1) is a lot more than what most of the programs ahead of them have accomplished.

ODU hasn’t been relevant in 25 years and is too high unless we’re counting AIAW.

Reaction Score
I would bump Baylor to 4th and drop ND to 6th. LA Tech at 5? Yikes. I am moving USC to 5th and dropping LA Tech to 13th. Flip ODU and Maryland. The rest of the field, I don't know. There are a lot of teams that should have made the cut. Green Bay, South Dakota State, Middle Tennessee State, Long Beach State. Just to name a few.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Both South Carolina and Southern Cal should be much higher.

LSU and Duke with their multiple Final Four appearances should be higher than Ohio State, IMO.

I don't think Kansas State has ever made it to the Elite 8; can't believe they are on the list. Conversely, Auburn made multiple Final Fours (although that was back in the late 80's); surprised they aren't on the list.

Iowa State could make a case for being on that list. I think they've been to at least one Elite 8 in their history.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I have no idea why James Madison is on that list.

Virginia made like 3 Final Fours during Dawn Staley's time there; I would put them on the list.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Off the top of my head, 17 seems a bit too low for Duke. 10 seems a bit too high for that school.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
And, Oklahoma with its multiple Final Four appearances and a couple of national runnerup finishes (I think) being omitted is odd. I get they had some really bad seasons (to the point of deciding to eliminate the program) prior to hiring Sherri Coale, but think they should be on the list ahead of KSU and JMU.

Reaction Score
After the top 10 the list is all over the place. I think the original poster of the article placed a huge emphasis on the AIAW. I agree that Louisville and Virginia should have been on the list. I think Duke should be 11th. Iowa at #18 is a joke (only one Final 4 and no national championship. Purdue is also too high. They did win a championship and had a championship game appearance. But their total body of work is not worth #14.

Reaction Score
I agree with the top 5 and that's about it. My question after that is what are we valuing. Are valuing longevity more or are we valuing how far you get in the tournament.

Some teams are valued more for only 1or 2 years of deep runs in the tournament and others aren't. The fact that teams like Ohio State, Texas Tech and Iowa are over teams like LSU, Georgia and Rutgers makes no sense to me.

Reaction Score
i would have put Louisiana Tech at the third spot and South Carolina above Notre Dame, USC also deserves more respect

Reaction Score
Did you really just post a Big Game Boomer ranking and ask if it was valid? You must not be familiar with BGB. Otherwise that question wouldn't have even been asked. He is one of the biggest trolls on Twitter/IG.
I don't do the twitter thing to the point where I know everyone. And even a broken clock is right twice a day. List isn't outlandish and the decision is your own, hence the question. So what do you think?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
By Title count/ Final Fours/Total appearances the corresponding numbers are:
11/22/33, 8/18/45, 3/15/31, 2/9/27, 3/13/33
3/4/19, 1/5/33, 1/3/29, 3/6/24, 1/3/26
2/4/22, 0/1/25, 2/3/16, 1/3/26, 1/1/24
0/5/27, 0/4/20, 0/1/28, 1/1/17, 0/5/35
0/2/26, 0/1/23, 0/1/33, 0/3/20, 0/0/13

This includes the AIAW titles and appearances as the NCAA did not sanction until 1982 and should educate those who are not familiar with the history. You can quibble SC should be Top 10 over NC but the Top 10 are very accurate. Southern Cal earned all their titles and FF from 1983-1986 so I would not move them up but with only 16 tournament appearances would question why so high.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
To me, Oklahoma with 0/3/22, Vanderbilt 0/1/27, Auburn 0/3/21, Virginia 0/3/25, Louisville 0/4/24 and even Penn State 0/1/25 all have to be considered as much as any of 18-25 rankings and more so than WKU or JMU.
Titles and Final Four appearances have to matter, and count the # of appearances shows consistent relevance. Georgia with 0/5/35 is far too low and should be ahead of tOSU, LSU, Duke and Iowa.
For Louisville to not make this list is a huge omission especially in the top 20 as they are a better program than Duke, Iowa, Rutgers, tOSU to name 4 on the list.

Reaction Score
Not gonna do it but it would be interesting to give a numeric value to these levels of performance:

6 points per championship
5 points per runnerup
4 points per final 4
3 points per Elite 8
2 points per Sweet 16
1 point per 2d round
.5 point per tourney apoearance.

Total up the points per program an voila. Rank’em. I’m too lazy.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Not gonna do it but it would be interesting to give a numeric value to these levels of performance:

6 points per championship
5 points per runnerup
4 points per final 4
3 points per Elite 8
2 points per Sweet 16
1 point per 2d round
.5 point per tourney apoearance.

Total up the points per program an voila. Rank’em. I’m too lazy.
What no points for Conference Championships like regular season or Conference Tournament? I mean, it's not like you're going to do the research or caculations.....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What no points for Conference Championships like regular season or Conference Tournament? I mean, it's not like you're going to do the research or caculations.....:rolleyes:
No. I’m not going to do the research and calculations. I have frequently admitted my laziness. I did quickly run through 10 UNC and 11 Scar. Under my proposed point system, UNC does deserve the higher ranking due to many more tournament appearances

Do conference championships even matter when discussing greatest teams of all time? I don’t think so. A big fish in a small pond isn’t necessarily a big fish in the ocean .

Reaction Score
No. I’m not going to do the research and calculations. I have frequently admitted my laziness. I did quickly run through 10 UNC and 11 Scar. Under my proposed point system, UNC does deserve the higher ranking due to many more tournament appearances

Do conference championships even matter when discussing greatest teams of all time? I don’t think so. A big fish in a small pond isn’t necessarily a big fish in the ocean .
I do really like your points given format, visitingcock, with an amendment to give a point or so for a conference championship. Surely those titles matter. It isn't always about how many national titles one has, and that coming from a UConn fan. Those teams often are better than teams which somehow make the tournament and happen to win a first-round game.

Cool stuff. Now, we need to find somebody to do the research (I used to love that stuff but don't have the resolve these days).

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Let me qualify that I am not wearing my @triaddukefan glasses on this BUT I don't know how NC or Texas is ranked ahead of SC at all. SC has more championships, more final fours and a negatable difference in Tournament appearances. Other than a 2 year period of 1986 & 1987 I don't think Texas was viewed as THE PROGRAM where as SC is.

Winning a title does have some credence and puts a team over those without any in most cases. NC has made 26 NCAAT so that is impressive. Texas has 33 appearances so that warrants a top 12. Now compare to Texas A&M has they do have the 1 title, they also only qualified for 1 Final Four and 17 NCAATs. That should not put them ahead of other teams with more Final Fours and more Tournament appearances like LSU, Georgia, Louisville or tOSU. Add in an interesting debate for Oklahoma and Virginia who each made 3 Final Fours and they were neglected and are better programs than WKU or JMU.

Maybe those "Twitters" should have consulted the BY first....
Jimmy Fallon Idk GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reaction Score
Let me qualify that I am not wearing my @triaddukefan glasses on this BUT I don't know how NC or Texas is ranked ahead of SC at all. SC has more championships, more final fours and a negatable difference in Tournament appearances. Other than a 2 year period of 1986 & 1987 I don't think Texas was viewed as THE PROGRAM where as SC is.

Winning a title does have some credence and puts a team over those without any in most cases. NC has made 26 NCAAT so that is impressive. Texas has 33 appearances so that warrants a top 12. Now compare to Texas A&M has they do have the 1 title, they also only qualified for 1 Final Four and 17 NCAATs. That should not put them ahead of other teams with more Final Fours and more Tournament appearances like LSU, Georgia, Louisville or tOSU. Add in an interesting debate for Oklahoma and Virginia who each made 3 Final Fours and they were neglected and are better programs than WKU or JMU.

Maybe those "Twitters" should have consulted the BY first....
Jimmy Fallon Idk GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Do the pointy system I proposed for each of those teams. See if your arguments for various teams hold water. I’m too lazy

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Could be the number of losing seasons in the programs' histories are factored in. Texas has had 4 in like 40 seasons. South Carolina had like 10 prior to Staley's arrival.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom