Top 25 Women's Basketball Programs of All Time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top 25 Women's Basketball Programs of All Time

Reaction Score
Could be the number of losing seasons in the programs' histories are factored in. Texas has had 4 in like 40 seasons. South Carolina had like 10 prior to Staley's arrival.
Might factor all time win/loss records.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I agree with some points made. No, I wouldn't include teams like Delta State or Immaculata, they had truly no longevity. La Tech and ODU had good longevity, not necessarily at the highest level, but arguably over 20 years of respectable success. I think ranking the greatest programs of all time, as was pointed out above, is dependent on what factors you value.

The only thing that leapt out at me was I thought Purdue was a bit high. As someone else said - JMU? Not sure on that. A case could be made for Oklahoma as someone pointed out. Although Auburn had a very good run under Joe Ciampi, I think it is difficult to rank them over other programs with perhaps longer term success. It is all a very tough call.

Reaction Score
South Carolina is a bit too high. I think they’re weighting championships too heavily.

We’re 34th in tourney bids and 16th in Sweet Sixteens. Maybe they gave us a bump because our coach is undefeated in title games?

Reaction Score
I agree with some points made. No, I wouldn't include teams like Delta State or Immaculata, they had truly no longevity. La Tech and ODU had good longevity, not necessarily at the highest level, but arguably over 20 years of respectable success. I think ranking the greatest programs of all time, as was pointed out above, is dependent on what factors you value.

The only thing that leapt out at me was I thought Purdue was a bit high. As someone else said - JMU? Not sure on that. A case could be made for Oklahoma as someone pointed out. Although Auburn had a very good run under Joe Ciampi, I think it is difficult to rank them over other programs with perhaps longer term success. It is all a very tough call.
JMU is on there because of number of wins. However, JMU has been playing basketball for 100 years. Schools like UConn and SC have been playing for 48 years.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
JMU is on there because of number of wins. However, JMU has been playing basketball for 100 years. Schools like UConn and SC have been playing for 48 years.
Maybe they also deserve credit for being such a pioneer of the game, as well. Rutgers has been at it for just over 50 years, I actually was in school when they hired Grentz as the first "full time" WBB coach in the country, but it was the program's 3rd year.

Arizona also started regular Women's Basketball 50 years ago, with a lot of unsuccessful years. Interesting that past coaches have included June Olkowski (retired number at Rutgers as a player), Wendy Larry (before ODU) and Niya Butts. The only long term success before Adia was under Joan Bonvicini. Previously it was what we now call a club sport, which did play (apparently among others) ASU annually.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I would bump Baylor to 4th and drop ND to 6th.
In its history, Baylor has made 4 Final Fours, with 3 National Titles, plus 13 conference regular season championships and 11 conference tournament championships.
In its history, Notre Dame has made 9 Final Fours, with 2 National Titles, plus 16 conference regular season championships and 11 conference tournament championships.

In terms of sustained excellence, I would rank Notre Dame ahead of Baylor.

Reaction Score
For me conference, is no call it is just about THE tournament, if you're second in the nation, it can happear you're the second in your conferece

Reaction Score
Last ten years of NCAA tournaments :

NCAA.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Personally I wouldn't rank runner-up any differently than FF and I wouldn't rank first round loser any higher than second round loser.
Last ten years of NCAA tournaments :

View attachment 84315
Nice chart. I would tend to give the same points for FF and runner-up. So much depends on match-ups and often the team that loses in the semis to the eventual winner is likely the second best team at the FF. Do 10 for the winner, 7 for the 3 other FF, 4 for elite 8, 2 for S16, and 1 being in the tournament the first weekend.

As for conference championships/regular season championships - for teams (outside the power 6 conferences) that is baked into tournament appearances. And back when the tournament was smaller was the whole field.

I think the OP list isn't bad when you consider the breadth of AIAW and NCAA And agree that teams like Immaculta/Delta State while both incredible stories and pioneers of the game haven't been relevant in a very long time. You can quibble about a few places in the order and I am curious as others at how JMU and to some degree WKU made the list but assume it gets into their true pioneer status 100 years ago and their continued appearances in the NCAAs. WKU at least had 3 NCAA FF appearances.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom